Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Need Help getting an Aide for daughter for Kindergarten

Posted by on May. 23, 2011 at 5:41 PM
  • 2 Replies
  • 1123 Total Views

My daughter was diagnosed with Autism at age 2 and she is not 5. She has birth to three for a year then at three they transitioned her into the special needs pre-school. When she was 4 they took the special needs pre-school out due to funding so this year she has been in a regualr pre-K. She is taken out for PT, OP, and Speech so much a week. I have had a pretty good relationship with the school and they have done a lot to help my daughter, but her pre-K teacher told me that they gave as much one on one as they could this past year and that it was a strain on them since they had just one teacher and one teacher aide and they had 20 or so kids to teach. She told me that when she goes to Kindergarten this fall they are gonna have more kids and that they will not be able to give her the one on one that she had this past year. Which worries both of us because my daughter has concentration problems and is hyper so she needs almost constant redirection to even be able to listen to what the teacher is teaching to them. Her Per-K teacher said she is the most behind child in her class when it comes to what they have learned and been taught this year. If she can't concentrate to what the teacher is trying to teach her she will never learn anything and she will fall more and more behine. I am very worried about that, her Pre-K teacher say's she works best in small group setting and not big classrooms. She has qualified to be in the Autism class room in Kindergarten with the Autism teacher but until her IEP meeting I have no idea how long she will be in there a week,  it could be a few hours a day or just as needed. Her pre-K teacher has made it clear to me that she needs as much help as possible. I have tried to ask for an aide for 2 years now and been denied I didn't bother to fight it in pre-school cause she was just learning simple things and i help her a lot at home. But this year I want to fight for it because i know in my heart without a lot of help she will fall so far behind. I called the advocates for this county and I have one that is going to my IEP meeting with me but she said she didn't think my daughter would get an aide. I thought that is what they were there for was to fight for my kids rights with me. My lawyer that fought for my daughters social security told my a year or so ago that it was against the law for the school to not give her an adie since she has Autism.  I don't know where to go from here, can anyone help with the laws? I would like to know what the laws are for Autistic children when it comes to school aides and other school help. Should I call the state board of education for help or will they just direct me to my county advocates that i already talked to that aren't willing to fight for her? i would apprecaite any help I could get, I have been fighting for my daughter since I was 2 and I am not willing to give up now. So i want to come prepared to my IEP meeting cause it looks like I am the only one who is going to fight for my daughters rights. Thank You.

shannon riffle
by on May. 23, 2011 at 5:41 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-2):
DACIA79
by New Member on May. 23, 2011 at 9:45 PM

Sorry to hear your having such a hard time have you considered moving changing school districts. There are some states that definitely have a better programs for kids like ours but keep fighting you will be fighting for that kids for many years but don't worry it gets easier.

gogetem
by New Member on Nov. 9, 2011 at 11:15 AM

Hi!  I'm not sure where you live and if they will be available in your area, but look into C.A.R.D. services.   They offer what is called a classroom shadowing aid: http://centerforautism.com/

You can work on getting it covered by insurance.  Although, it can be tricky because some insurance companies don't consider this "medical", but "behavioral". It's worth trying!

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

close Join now to connect to
other members!
Connect with Facebook or Sign Up Using Email

Already Joined? LOG IN