Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Posted by on Sep. 1, 2008 at 1:21 PM
  • 5 Replies
  • 203 Total Views

Hello,

My name is Trish and I am 34 yrs old,I live in Kentucky with my fiance and our 2 year old son. My son was just diagnosed with autism last week. He has been in the first steps early intervention program since June and has a developmental interventionist and Occupational therapist that see him weekly. We weren't very suprised by his diagnosis cause his pediatrician and therapists had pretty much already told us he was in the spectrum. He has sensory issues and we just started the brushing technique and next week are going to start joint compressions. The develomental pediatrician that diagnosed him said we are pretty much wasting our time with "sensory therapy". She told us he has autism and thats that. She said the vest and weighted blanket his OT is going to order is a waste of time. She wanted to go ahead and put him on medications and I told her no. I think 2 yrs old is too young to be medicated. The doctor made the comment to me that we are the ones that have to live with him. Well shes right about that and we have been managing without making him into a zombie and thats what I was afraid she wanted to do to him. When he gets older then maybe we will discuss medication for him.  They also ordered some lab work to do some genetic testing on him. Is this normal after a child is diagnosed? I am really looking forward to learning from this group on whats the best route for my family. We are just starting out on our long road ahead but we are hopeful he will accomplish alot in his lifetime with the right approach and therapy.

by on Sep. 1, 2008 at 1:21 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-5):
PJSMOMMIE
by Member on Sep. 2, 2008 at 8:28 AM

now i dont know how everyone else will feel about this. but what is that dped talking about. yes your son will always be autistic BUT with sensory thearpy its like (for us) to not make them so nervious. as far a the waighted blanket my eldest son (6 yrs) sometimes he needs to have the blanket to focus at school ... its like a reminder for him that he has to pay attention and it gives him the weight so he feels comfortible .  i never did the brushing with my boys. but the OT that we worked with told me this. ever had an ant or some kind of bug or even a loose strand of hair on your skin and you feel that sensation and you have to rub  your arm to get rid of that sensation. brushing helps with that (im not a dr. just saying what i have been told) now like i said i never have used it but could you imagine having that feeling all the time your the mom ifyou see an improvment with the blankets or the brushing then all for it if its upsetting him then maybe look for some other avenues. hope that helps

Co-Admin To:

Are you a NY Mom of a child with Special Needs? Join Us-click here!!

Know someone with Cerebral Palsy? Join Understanding & Living with Cerebral Palsy 
  Do you sometimes feel like you are going crazy? Join us at Crazy Moms with Crazy Kids

sclark2007
by New Member on Sep. 2, 2008 at 10:12 AM

I think OT is great!  When my ds was only 1 yr old, not even diagnosed yet, he was in ST, PT, and OT.  The OT worked wonders for calming him.  The compressions (pressure) and the brushing was wonderful for him.  He loved it!  He craved that pressure and his OT knew it.  I also did the compressions and brushing on him when his OT was not here.  He is 9 now and still likes the pressure.  He had a weighted vest and ankle weights so he could be aware of his body, too.  He did not set up on his own until he was 14 months, crawling came shortly after, but he did not walk on his own until he was 21 months old.  He was very delayed,  w/ speech also.  However, he has no trouble talking now!  He does have trouble expressing himself and w/ his behavior.  We are still working on this and hope to be starting Behavior therapy real soon w/ him.

specmomsolution
by Member on Sep. 2, 2008 at 12:35 PM

We have had alot of luck with different therapies.

I could not afford a weighted blanket, but ,we would "SNUGGLE" alot when he was younger it seemed to help "center" his nervous system. We also did the brushing and joint compressions...still do occaisionlay...BIG HELP before meltdowns.

We also have a exlarg exercise ball, we could use it for compresions,gently,and general roll around and hopping on with a parent.

A trampoline is something I have always regretted not having for him...he was a jumper...I think it would be good for coordination and activity with friends...or even when he is angry...an outlet.

We have a body sock..that is fun. When he was younger we had a ball pit  that was fun too.

We would also  would play a game where we would roll him in a blanket like a suasage,( face showing) and have him look at us as we laughed/tried to get him to use his words...nice eye contact then.

My other regret was I did not use one of those trycycles with the handle with him when he was really young. It would have taught him how to use his muscles /strengthen them to push in that motion...without much thought on his part. I guess it is called muscle memmory.

CliveysMom
by New Member on Sep. 7, 2008 at 4:49 PM

Thank you everyone for the great advice. We started compressions this week and he seems to really enjoy them. His OT is bringing him a vest Wednesday and a sit and spin or a trampoline to use. It looks like he is going to have his tonsils out soon, his doc thinks he may already have sleep apnea. oes anyone have any advice on how to get him to take medicine? I am worried because after his tonsils are out he is going to need to be able to take tylenol for the pain but he doesn't understand if you try to explain to him what you are doing- he just spits every bit of his medicne right out. When he has fevers I have to give him tylenol suppositories. His OT suggested I get his medicine flavored at the pharmacy and see if he will just take it out of the spoon but I am not so sure that will work, he is pretty stubborn. Any advice would be greatly appreciated. It's so hard when you can' explain things to him cause he doesn't understand what you are saying to him.

aqryus
by New Member on Sep. 14, 2008 at 7:38 AM

My DIL used to mix medicine into juice or applesauce for my grandson when he was younger. She would either have liquid medicine or crush it, which work for most meds, but not all.

Doctors are often hesitant about trying alternative therapies, but there are doctors who support them. The important thing is that you do your research and try things you think might be helpful. Sometimes doctors will recognize that you know what you are talking about, even thought initially they don't respect that you know your own kid. So hang in, or find a more supportive Doctor.

As a grandmother of an HFA and a teacher  , I found both brushing and joint compression worked with my grandson and students. The mini-tramp is great, too, for the jumping.

Judy
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)