Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Water with AI children

Posted by on Jan. 21, 2009 at 10:06 AM
  • 9 Replies
  • 262 Total Views

I just went to a training for AI children in the law enforcement area and the speaker said the number one death among AI children is drowning because they are attracted to water and a high percentage don't know how to swim.  I didn't get to ask where they got the info from - so does anyone know if this is a true thing.

I know my son has no fear of the water and loves it.  I thought is was just him.  I am very new and still learning all this.  Is this a known fact in the community and I am finally realizing it?

This is not to be meant as a "scary" email, I was wondering if A: it is true and B: if your children are into water as well.  (pools, etc)

by on Jan. 21, 2009 at 10:06 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-9):
mousireid
by Member on Jan. 21, 2009 at 2:07 PM

My son enjoys the water (although not water IN his eyes) and has never had a problem at bath time except that you cannot have the water actually running while he is in the bathroom (he also covers his ears for the flushing of toilet/agitated).  He gets very excited to be in the water and we did try out a swimming class but it was way too much for him sensory wise and very distracting so we just started one on one swimming lessons and he is THRILLED.  It may take some time but he always did love the water - soothing?  sensory and fun!  (he's 7)

saltycoqui
by on Jan. 21, 2009 at 5:39 PM

I've heard about this. My kids do like the water. The largest body of water near us is a large river. No one can swim there since the currents are too strong and there are many fences. My greater concern is when we go to the beach or lake. I recently took advantage of a swim class offered to my son who is the one who tends to wander more. At the very least I'd like him to learn how to not panic and float.

LOVMYSON14
by Member on Jan. 21, 2009 at 11:03 PM

My son is 16 and loves the water.  We have a pool and he mostly spends the entire summer in it.  He also enjoys the shower as well as the tub. 

jigsaw ribbon                                   scuba

Pweek
by New Member on Jan. 21, 2009 at 11:23 PM

I have seen several articles about ASD children drowning because of their affinity for water. My son, too, LOVES the water. We bought a hopuse with a pool, so this year, we will be teaching him to swim. Interestingly, although he's young and we have never shown him, he knows to hold his breath under water and loves to put his face in the water in the bathtub and blow bubbles.

Jasons_Mami
by on Jan. 21, 2009 at 11:43 PM
my son will be 2 next Friday & he absolutely loves water. he loves taking a bath, showers, i take him to the pool in the summer unfortunately he was to young 4 the local swimming program @ the time. he loves putting his hand under the faucet also. he used to sneak in the bathroom & try to play in the toilet like a puppy lol. thank goodness that phase is over
myspace.com/pynk83 if u send me request just leave a message saying u are from cafemom
sclark2007
by New Member on Jan. 22, 2009 at 7:39 PM

My DS loves water, too.  He is 9 1/2 yrs old and dx'd w/ PDD NOS in March 2004.  Last summer, we had a pool and we we had to watch him very close when we were out back because he absolutely loved it!  He does not like it in his face or eyes though.  He also loves bath time and flushing the toilet..actually, he is obsessed w/ flushing the toilet!! 

He has something new he says, too.  If something scares him or he doesn't like the sound of it, he says "It scares my ears."  He just started saying this like a week ago.  I find it so cute. 

jigsaw ribbonLoving and proud mommy to Chris, who happens to have Autism :) and Kiersten, NT

SantaMom
by on Jan. 22, 2009 at 11:03 PM

I also read about this quite a while back.  I love water and expected my children to love water BUT I do watch Courtney like a hawk at the lake because I have had her dive head first under (from standing in the water right in front of me, thank God!).  I actually watched her do it and, having no fear myself, hesitated a second before pulling her up.  She gasped in such a way that she must have held her breath.  The problem is I know she would have just stayed under had I not pulled her up. 

I don't see knowing this as scary.  I see it as equivalent to learning to have a healthy respect for something like electricity.  No need to fear it as long as you are aware of it.

luvmyguy
by on Feb. 11, 2009 at 7:19 PM

My son is 7 1/2 and has always loved the water. He likes pools, the beach, the water hose, playing in the sink, bath time etc. He always wears a life jacket when we are near water and recently began swimming lessons.

simple smile

MYnKURTMOM
by New Member on Feb. 18, 2009 at 8:21 PM

I have heard this and I have seen 1st hand that it can be scary!

My daughter is 5 and when she was just over 3.5 we were at a picnic at a friends camp...she was playing or rather watching the other kids playing and then..poof she was gone...were searching and searching and someone said well would she go to the pond???

Theres a pond here???? I had no idea!  My brother and 2 others went and she was in the water..jeans sneakers and all...up to her chin. Yeah Id say she has an attraction to water. We started swimming lessons soon after that but it was very hard because there were so many other children and she was EASILY distracted. I am going to try again.

She also loves the bathtub, the water hose, and fish tanks......the people at the pet store HATE ME!

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)