Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

New here and have some questions

Posted by on Apr. 8, 2009 at 8:13 PM
  • 3 Replies
  • 250 Total Views

Hi all. I have been a member here for a few weeks but have yet to post or introduce myself. My name is Dawn and I am a hab/respite worker. I have been in the medical feild for many years, but mostly taking care of older adults with behaviors. When I got pregnant with my 3rd child I knew it was time to change and do what I wanted and take care of children with developmental disabilities. I took care of a little boy with a genetic condition through my pregnancy and quite awhile after that. They lived very far and my boss had another child that needed help so I decided to change.  The boy I take care of now has autism and this is a new experience for me. I have never seen a autism child with such a behavior problem. He is not potty trained, cannot sit still for longer then 5 minutes and runs away constantly. The potty training is not a huge concern but his mom wants him trained. (Not sure how to do that when he wont sit on the potty.) I really want to work with this child and this mom, she is desperate for help and cries to me about how she is just about done with him and has even mentioned adoption. I work for a company that is privately owned and I am not sure if she has many resources for me. I have asked the boys teachers and they gave me one resource. I am looking for resources and moms or respite workers that have had alot of experience with autism children. I would love advice or ideas on ways to help this family. If I can not find a way to deal with him I will have to give up like so many others, and I do not want to, but I can not let him run in front of a car under my supervision either. I live in AZ if anyone knows any local groups. I have been to SARRCs website and some others with not much luck.

Thank You Dawn

by on Apr. 8, 2009 at 8:13 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-3):
saltycoqui
by on Apr. 10, 2009 at 12:25 PM

I don't have anything for you. Just a big thank you for what you are doing. You have a good heart! Don't give up!

amblessedwith2
by New Member on Apr. 10, 2009 at 10:17 PM

The best thing is to connect with someone locally.  Are there any programs available from the regional center?  They sometimes have trainings, if not check out the local county office of education.  They also have a variety of trainings that are free to parents and caretakers.  Also, try to find a local resource center for support groups, play groups etc. 

Has the school tried to implement anything in the home?  Usually they are good about supplying resources for their students at home. Sounds like some basic visuals would be very helpful.  Also getting a routine going with the use of a visual schedule is critical.  There is a website called http://www.do2learn.com/  that has free downloads of pictures, schedules and games so you can get an idea of what might be helpful.  Good luck to you and mom!!

Allstar_Mom
by on Apr. 10, 2009 at 10:22 PM

Thank you. I will take a look into finding playgroups. I have talked with the school a bit about schedules. I will look into the website for some schedule ideas. He does need to be active always or his behavioral will skyrocket. I will update. I have already got some help from this group, from a post about websites and this lil boy loves to play on zacbrowser.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)