Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

new to the group I am moving from germany need advice

Posted by on Nov. 12, 2009 at 6:29 PM
  • 2 Replies
  • 530 Total Views

I am about to move to Gordon from Germany could anyone give me advice. Where to live, what are good schools, How much BAH is (E-5 w/ dependents) we are looking to live off post so what are good parts of town, those sorts of things. Anything would be helpful to know. I have been out of the loop for a while so advice on phone companies, internet providers, cable providers, a good place to look for a car, all of that good stuff to know. We will be basically starting over so any advice at all would be nice. Oh we do NOT want to live on post even if it is nice. I have heard good things about Grovetown and Martinez mostly because the schools are good. Which is better of the two. Who is good to rent through, who should I stay away from.

Thanks ladies.

Photobucket Photobucket

by on Nov. 12, 2009 at 6:29 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-2):
TaToO_mOmMa
by on Nov. 17, 2009 at 8:22 PM

Hey there. let's see...BAH is about 1,088 or somewhere in that ball park. yes, columbia co. is the best but im not digging grovetown. Martinez or Evans is great. we live in Evans & love it. as far as who to rent through. i really dont know. you can tell me what your looking for (bdrms, garage?? so on so forth & ill point you in the that direction) cable companies are : Knology (we have them & they are fine) & theres comcast, but if you want a dish..they have AT&T w/ dish network. Or Direct T.V. (sattalite dishes require a contract/cable is month 2 month) and all these companies provide t.v/phone/internet.

My name is Michel & if there's anything else you need, just ask & if i cant help ya, i'll let you know. take care.

CafeMom TickersCafeMom Tickers
JadeTigr7
by on Nov. 18, 2009 at 9:22 AM

Quoting isabeesmomma:

I am about to move to Gordon from Germany could anyone give me advice. Where to live, what are good schools, How much BAH is (E-5 w/ dependents) we are looking to live off post so what are good parts of town, those sorts of things. Anything would be helpful to know. I have been out of the loop for a while so advice on phone companies, internet providers, cable providers, a good place to look for a car, all of that good stuff to know. We will be basically starting over so any advice at all would be nice. Oh we do NOT want to live on post even if it is nice. I have heard good things about Grovetown and Martinez mostly because the schools are good. Which is better of the two. Who is good to rent through, who should I stay away from.

Thanks ladies.

E-5 with dependents is $1015.  I would look anywhere in Columbia county for houses, Richmond county is pretty crappy with schools, or at least that's what I've heard, we homeschool so I have no real experience with the school systems here.  We use AT&T standalone internet because we do not have a home phone and I've had no problem with the price or the service.  Cable, I prefer Directtv satellite, over comcast or anything like that.  I'm not sure about the cars because we haven't looked for a new vehicle in the past two years and when we do we plan on going back to FL to buy ours since that is our home state.

If you need any help getting settled let me know and I'll see what I can do to help!

PAW to Michael
SAHM to James, Jade and Steven
Expecting #4 around 10/24/09
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)