Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

How much money do you need to earn to live in New England?

Posted by on Sep. 21, 2012 at 6:02 PM
  • 5 Replies
  • 104 Total Views

I grew up in New England, I am now retired and I am not sure I can afford to move back.  I do have a set income for the rest of my days, but where I live now, my home is paid for.  I just pay for insurance and low property taxes.  It is just me, my dog and my cat.  I do not plan on taking very much of what I own to where ever I move to.  I hope my children take some of this stuff off my hands. 

So, how much would it cost for a one bedroom/one bathroom home/apartment?  What are the average costs to pay electric and heating/cooling?  Are the taxes still outrageous?  Please answer any of these questions, they may determine if I will move back to a place that has four seasons, not just the two I get here, hot and omg hot!  lol

by on Sep. 21, 2012 at 6:02 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-5):
ilovemykids732
by on Sep. 21, 2012 at 6:05 PM

I live in Massachusetts, Western and the taxes suck.. idk about prices on one bedroom things though... so no help there... :)

MsBlueBelle
by on Sep. 21, 2012 at 6:57 PM

I know I can buy a home for less than $1,000 per month, but not sure about rent for the same price.  I would prefer to rent until I find just the right spot to live in.  I learned that from my career, rent first, then buy after you find out where the groceries stores are, where the Church is, etc.  Also renting with pets may be an issue, although my dog is a service dog and he goes every place with me.  I may need a two bedroom, my dog has his own bedroom here.  I also need a yard. 

After a visit a few years back, I could not believe the traffic.  The only time I have seen that much traffic in one spot was during hurricane evacuations.  No thanks.  That is why I am wondering are there any small towns left?  I stayed in a hotel in Worcester, wow, pretty pricey for a hotel room.  Even the Ritz in London was not that expensive.  And at least I got some great sight seeing in while in London, I found nothing to look at in Worcester.  lol

MsBlueBelle
by on Oct. 24, 2012 at 5:34 PM
1 mom liked this

Of all my posts about questions regarding moving back to New England, you are the only one who has answered.  I am so glad there is at least one friendly person left in New England. 

Quoting ilovemykids732:

I live in Massachusetts, Western and the taxes suck.. idk about prices on one bedroom things though... so no help there... :)

ilovemykids732
by on Oct. 24, 2012 at 5:42 PM

Haha, there really arent many friendly people left... I am one of those people who are totally stupid... I am nice to almost everyone unless given a reason not to be... I looked into some apartments for you though... here are a few...

http://westernmass.craigslist.org/apa/3362465461.html

http://westernmass.craigslist.org/apa/3362367354.html

http://westernmass.craigslist.org/apa/3362367354.html

http://westernmass.craigslist.org/apa/3309444494.html

I mean, they are all in Mass, but around HERE thats the prices... :) good luck on your search!

Quoting MsBlueBelle:

Of all my posts about questions regarding moving back to New England, you are the only one who has answered.  I am so glad there is at least one friendly person left in New England. 

Quoting ilovemykids732:

MsBlueBelle
by on Oct. 24, 2012 at 7:20 PM

I have found a condo on the North Shore, $300,000, 3/2 on the 6th floor with panoramic views and a private balcony.  With my down payment, I will end up with about $1,200 mortgage payment for 15 years.  I am exempt from Ma taxes due to my disabled veteran status and I joined from Ma.  Born in Chelsea, Ma (the place they keep burning down) and I currently live in Alabama.  A huge difference in culture.  Thank you, though, for at least replying to my posts.  Here in Alabama, we speak to anyone who talks to us, it is much more laid back here and much friendlier than Bean-town.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)