Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Child Care Question

Posted by on Mar. 28, 2007 at 12:03 AM
  • 5 Replies
  • 273 Total Views
OK...I won't try to make this too long.  My husband came home from work tonight and said he had a question to ask me.  One of his coworkers is a single woman and just found out she is pregnant.  She approached Jason as she knew I was a SAHM and asked him if he thought I would be interested in watching her child.  It wouldn't be a regular type deal as she travels a lot so this would probably include lots of overnights but said she would pay me well.

I have never even thought of this before so I don't even know where to start with questions although here is what I have decided IF I choose to do this:

I want to treat her child like my own and not like it was a daycare...maybe more like a nanny if you will and take her child with me wherever I would take my own.  I wouldn't ask her to pay me if I don't watch her child like a daycare would (i.e. if we went on vacation or if she took her child out of town with her)

Does anyone have any advice or good questions for me to ask?
What is the going rate for something like this (of course I think it would depend on if the child stays all night or not).

I have met this woman several times (she has come over to play poker with us) and I think she is really cool and don't think we would have problems seeing eye to eye as she has commented several times that she loves how we talk to and treat/discipline our children but I don't want to do anything I shouldn't...does this make any sense?

I'll take any advice or information anyone may have or experiences you have had!
by on Mar. 28, 2007 at 12:03 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-5):
Itsallgood
by on Mar. 28, 2007 at 6:17 PM
My 3 children are in child care  and for my two younger children ages 6 months and 17 months i was being charged 25 dollars a day (and that was a pretty good deal) and for my 5 year old they were charging 15.00 a day. I couldnt afford that so my daycare provider very kindly ( and very uncommon) dropped the prices, I pay 15.oo a day for each of them now. For overnites , unless the baby woke up alot , it really would be easy. I would make sure that you got all doctor and insurance information- had emergency contacts- if the baby had any special issues or concerns? Things like that. I dont know if that helps.
Rautis2
by on Mar. 28, 2007 at 8:05 PM
Just make sure you get a written agreement on prices and care times and schedule.  You would be surprised even between friends it can all go really wrong really fast.
JaynaMarie
by on Mar. 28, 2007 at 9:33 PM
Yeah-I'm a little worried about the fact that she works with my husband...I would hate for us to have a disagreement and then he have to deal with it at work-so far that is one of the major "cons" I can think of.
Quoting Rautis2:

Just make sure you get a written agreement on prices and care times and schedule. You would be surprised even between friends it can all go really wrong really fast.

kerm
by on Mar. 29, 2007 at 12:20 AM

Quoting Rautis2:

Just make sure you get a written agreement on prices and care times and schedule.  You would be surprised even between friends it can all go really wrong really fast.

I didn't do this with a dear friend, and we no longer talk just to talk...sad.  I'll never babysit full time again - with or  without a contract.
MonaB
by on Mar. 31, 2007 at 2:19 PM
I agree with everyone.  I have a friend who watches a 5 yr old full time. She also has her own 5 yr old. She takes this boy everywhere. He even attends the same preschool.  I can connect the two of you so you can chat with her if you like. Let me know.

Monica
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)