Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

PELOSI SAYS BIRTH CONTROL WILL HELP ECONOMY

Posted by on Jan. 27, 2009 at 12:25 PM
  • 12 Replies
  • 372 Total Views

http://drudgereport.com/flashpbc.htm

PELOSI SAYS BIRTH CONTROL WILL HELP ECONOMY

Sun Jan 25 2009 22:13:43 ET

Speaker of the House Nancy Pelosi boldly defended a move to add birth control funding to the new economic "stimulus" package, claiming "contraception will reduce costs to the states and to the federal government."

Pelosi, the mother of 5 children and 6 grandchildren, who once said, "Nothing in my life will ever, ever compare to being a mom," seemed to imply babies are somehow a burden on the treasury.

The revelation came during an exchange Sunday morning on ABC's THIS WEEK.

STEPHANOPOULOS: Hundreds of millions of dollars to expand family planning services. How is that stimulus?

PELOSI: Well, the family planning services reduce cost. They reduce cost. The states are in terrible fiscal budget crises now and part of what we do for children's health, education and some of those elements are to help the states meet their financial needs. One of those - one of the initiatives you mentioned, the contraception, will reduce costs to the states and to the federal government.

STEPHANOPOULOS: So no apologies for that?

PELOSI: No apologies. No. we have to deal with the consequences of the downturn in our economy.

This makes me throw up in my mouth a little.  I can see the beginnings of population control here among other gross violations of the constitution.  How about reducing the size of Government to CUT COST if that is what she is so concerned about. 

Psalm 19:14  May the words of my mouth and the meditation of my heart  be pleasing in your sight O Lord my Rock and my Redeemer

by on Jan. 27, 2009 at 12:25 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
NewMom304
by on Jan. 27, 2009 at 12:29 PM

I don't see what the problem is.  Women who do not want children should have easy access to birth control.  It's not population-control, it's keeping women in control of their reproduction and their lives.  And it may reduce the amount that the governement pays for assistant programs.

Theemom
by on Jan. 27, 2009 at 12:43 PM
I agree with you NYMOM 12. I feel the way they can help is stop bailing out these TOP DOGS and give money to the American people who are loosing there homes, lost there jobs.. There is clinics out there that give free birth control. The Government is not going to able STOP teens and women from getting pregnant. ..
NewMom304
by on Jan. 27, 2009 at 1:02 PM

Quoting Theemom:

I agree with you NYMOM 12. I feel the way they can help is stop bailing out these TOP DOGS and give money to the American people who are loosing there homes, lost there jobs.. There is clinics out there that give free birth control. The Government is not going to able STOP teens and women from getting pregnant. ..

I agree with most of that too.

Rebeccalynn_dj
by Group Owner on Jan. 27, 2009 at 1:18 PM

I see making birth control more readily available because it is hard to afford.  I don't see the government demanding people taking it. 

The government needs to stay out of my bedroom.  That means birth control, sex (bi, straight, gay, swinger, polygamy), or lack there of.  It is non of their business.

NYMOM12
by on Jan. 27, 2009 at 1:34 PM

I agree Rebecca with perhaps making it more affordable but would be up to the Pharm company and not the Govt.  I also think this falls under the Govt's big ugly head peeking in my bedroom door.  

Quoting Rebeccalynn_dj:

I see making birth control more readily available because it is hard to afford.  I don't see the government demanding people taking it. 

The government needs to stay out of my bedroom.  That means birth control, sex (bi, straight, gay, swinger, polygamy), or lack there of.  It is non of their business.

Psalm 19:14  May the words of my mouth and the meditation of my heart  be pleasing in your sight O Lord my Rock and my Redeemer

NYMOM12
by on Jan. 27, 2009 at 1:35 PM

Agree! 

Quoting Theemom:

sandeetraveler
by Member on Jan. 27, 2009 at 3:31 PM

We need to make health care more affordable and yes that should include birth control.  Let's get serous about all the costs of pharaceutifals.

leigh76
by on Jan. 27, 2009 at 7:06 PM

I don't think she was wrong in what she said.  Families are running into financial problems.  And we all know babies cost a lot of money.  So I don't see why it's so bad to offer birth control.  It wouldn't be mandatory, nor would there be a penalty.  So I don't see this as unconstitutional. 

VinniesMa
by on Jan. 28, 2009 at 9:44 AM

I think she's right to a point and I don't want the government in the bedroom either- but people keep bringing it into their bedrooms by havig children they can't afford and dragging us ALL into their bedrooms and homes. And BC is not always that easy to get for free or cheaply, especially if you don't fall into the requirements. I'm not sure what to feel about it!

dueinfeba.gif Due in FEB. image by babygirl022
Beth & Vince  www.youravon.com/bmartineau
"The best way to make children good is to make them happy."   -Oscar Wilde

katieGrace
by Member on Jan. 28, 2009 at 8:44 PM

I actually agree with her.  Making contraceptives available to people across the board is not the same as population control.  Many women who are either young, below the poverty line, or just low on funds (no insurance) skip on birth control.  Many then have babies and the state covers the cost.  I know here in CA there are 100's of millions of dollars that go unpaid in health care, for example.  I am for medicare and medicaid, but hopefully with use of contraceptives people will do more family planning and wait until they can afford their children.

Music Lovers, Unite Group!

Click Here to Join:  Music Lovers, Unite!

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)