Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

What type of green beans?

Posted by on Jan. 18, 2010 at 10:41 PM
  • 4 Replies
  • 332 Total Views

I want to grow some fresh green beans...not sure what kind,  My FAV are the ones at the stores that they keep next to the little red potatoes....are they Snap Green Beans?

Photobucket
by on Jan. 18, 2010 at 10:41 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-4):
mikesmom65270
by on Jan. 18, 2010 at 11:42 PM

There are many varieties of green beans (or "snap" beans). I personally prefer pole beans as they produce much longer than bush beans and are much easier to pick. Of course, they will need some sort of trellis-like structure; I  just use bamboo poles. The variety I usually grow is ":Kentucky Wonder" which is a very old, very productive variety.Hope this helps.

specialwingz
by Member on Jan. 18, 2010 at 11:55 PM

Here in TX, I find that the pole type beans don't do as well since they are more exposed to the sun and heat.  For the past 5 years, I've used Tendergreen Improved (early maturing).  They are a bush type bean with nice long, tender pods that are sheltered from the sun by the leaves.  I get TONS of beans that I can and store in my pantry.  I also pickle them.  We just LOVE pickled green beans and okra here in my house! LOL.

I just bought these at Wal-Mart today as a matter of fact.  They've always done very well for me.

websorceress
by Member on Jan. 19, 2010 at 2:53 AM

I usually get blue lake but mix it with some other type. I haven't done it too long so not sure the bush or pole works better for me or not......but I do use both when I can.........

cr8zym0m
by New Member on Jan. 19, 2010 at 12:46 PM

my favorite are a purple bush bean. they turn green when cooked, but are edible either way. they are very easy to see on the plants, but shaded by the leaves. I find that as long as I can keep the other normal pests away, I will harvest for about 1 month for each planting, so if I plant them 2 or 3 times, I will harvest all summer long & don't need a structure to hold them up. 

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)