Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

What are you growing???

Posted by on Mar. 21, 2010 at 5:11 PM
  • 27 Replies
  • 1007 Total Views

What veggies are members planting this year?

We have expanded both of our gardens again this year. We planted our onions and garlic about 2 weeks ago and started planting our potatoes last week until we heard the weather forecast for the weekend ( blizzard conditions and temps in the teens on Sat the first day of spring) so we only planted 2 rows and will plant the rest this week if the ground dries out enough.

Our gardens will consist of tomatoes, potatoes, carrots, beets radishes, turnips, onions, garlic, bell peppers, jalapeƱo peppers, okra, sweet corn, yellow squash, patty pan squash, spaghetti squash, zucchini squash, cucumbers, broccoli, cauliflower, celery, watermelon and cantaloupe.

The broccoli, cauliflower, spaghetti squash, celery, watermelon & cantaloupe are new additions to our garden we have never grown any of them before and have no idea how well they will grow in our area or how hard they are to grow. I am thinking I will put the watermelon and cantaloupe in an area all of their own since they require more room to spread out and grow. HAPPY GARDENING FOLKS!!!

by on Mar. 21, 2010 at 5:11 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
CrazyMom5480
by Member on Mar. 21, 2010 at 6:03 PM

We've got basil, rosemary, and thyme growing in our kitchen.  We've started tomatoes and eggplants in peat pots for the backyard.  I don't know if we'll try anything else this year or not.

ashlet01
by Member on Mar. 21, 2010 at 6:16 PM

I apartment garden using containers on my balcony so I have a much smaller selection. Strawberries, blue berries, grapes, cucumbers, spinach, basil, parsley.

GHFDLSG
by Member on Mar. 23, 2010 at 12:32 PM

I'm a newbie to this, so my selection includes: sunflower, corn, peas, purple hull peas, squash, onion, bell peppers, jalapeno peppers, cantaloupe, watermelon, pumpkin, decorative gourds, collard greens, and carrots. I am planting herbs indoors. Wish me luck!!!!

Sarasmoonflower
by Member on Mar. 23, 2010 at 5:34 PM

I have started, Tomatoes, Crook neck squash, zuchini, lettuce, spinich, mustard greens, bell peppers, I think that's all other than the flowers and herbs.

strungoutmom
by on Mar. 24, 2010 at 7:44 PM

wow not to sure what all we are going to plant this year.  so far i have seeds for peppers hot and bell, corn, green beans, tomatoes, have not done potatoes as of yet might try that,

I am also going to try strawberries, rasberries or black berries.  right now I have planted in containers diff. varieties of mints,  apple, spearmint, lemon, chocolate mint,  also have thyme, rosemary, basil, tarragon, lemon grass, hot and spicy basil, that is all i can think of right now.

deana in Decatur Texas.

29again
by on Mar. 25, 2010 at 9:21 PM

I just got my seeds started today!  I planted 2 kinds of tomatoes, broccoli, cauliflower, green peppers, jalapeno peppers, and tobacco (don't know how well that will work..)  I have peas, beans, onions, carrots, beets, spinach, lettuce, radish to direct sow.  I will get a couple banana pepper, cabbage, and grape tomato plants from my mom, too.  I decided to not do the things that haven't done too well in past years, and to do MORE of the things that DO grow!  But the tob. is a new thing this  year.

CrazyMom5480
by Member on Apr. 4, 2010 at 8:18 PM

I finally found some Brussels sprouts seeds!!  I just planted a couple of them for now.  I'm going to save the rest for late in the summer/fall planting.  I don't know anyone who has ever grown these, so I'm just crossing my fingers with this.

dixiecharmer
by Member on Apr. 5, 2010 at 10:28 AM

I am is a Zone 4 area so we can have killer frost until in late May.  The only thing I am growing now is weeds.  I have startedsome Armenian Cucumbers and tomatoes.  My husband has reduced the size of our garden this year. But I am waiting for the horseradish and rhubarb to sprout up.

Enchantee
by Member on Apr. 7, 2010 at 5:18 PM

Flowering ornamental trees in large containers are the order of the day over here!  *wink*  I'm also going to plant herbs & edible flowers, along with tomatoes, of course, to enjoy & to share.

Love & light...Ceci 

Nixshix
by Member on Apr. 7, 2010 at 5:33 PM

Since I'm pregnant this year we're trying to keep it "light" LOL

Tomatoes
Potatoes
Lettuce
Spinach
Garlic
Chives
Onions
Pumpkin
Corn
Carrots
String beans
Snow peas
cucumber
Cantaloupe
Strawberries
Asparagus (This will be it's fourth summer! EEK! I might finally get to harvest some!)
regular mint and spearmint
Oregano
Cilantro
Thyme
Rosemary
Dill (well it grows itself and we allow some of it to live)

I also plant marigolds, poppy's and nasturtium's around my vegetable garden.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)