Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Worm Farm

Posted by on Mar. 24, 2010 at 8:13 PM
  • 14 Replies
  • 967 Total Views

I am thinking of doing a Worm Farm has anyone done one. I am just going to do a small one possibly in a rubber maid tote.  From what i have read i just need to get some potting soil and i can order some worms but thinking of just using the ones out of my own backyard.  I add them to the soil and add leaves, grass clippings, and food scraps other than dairy, meats ect.

I am thinking of just doing a small one to use for my plants.  If it really wrks just keep adding to it.

deana in Texas

by on Mar. 24, 2010 at 8:13 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
auroragold
by Group Owner on Mar. 26, 2010 at 8:16 AM

Haven't done a worm farm but I compost.

My initial reaction is NO to the "potting soil". They don't need potting soil - they need compostable materials.  If you need dirt - just dig up some from the backyard.

QuiltLover
by on Mar. 26, 2010 at 9:59 AM

go to http://www.cathyscomposters.com/instructions_PF.htmWill give you all the info you need to start your worm farm

Krysden
by on Mar. 26, 2010 at 1:46 PM
1 mom liked this

We have an old bathtub in our cellar (cool & dark)  full of rich dirt and river worms.  Ours is not for the garden though, its for DH to grow his own fishing bait rather than having to go get worms at the river.  Every so often he will take some coffee grounds or other veggie scraps down there for them.  I'm not sure if he mixes it in or just put it on top though.   The tub sits under a leaky spot too so the dirt doesn't ever dry out. 

tattoo21_338
by Member on Mar. 27, 2010 at 12:52 PM

I have two containers of worms going in my house. People thing that it will smell but if when you add "food" for the worms as long as you cover it you don't get any smell at all. 

A rubber maid container will work fine but you need to drill holes in the bottom for drainage and to catch any drips. I have my containers up on a board on each end and I slide a foil cookie sheet underneath .To start you put 3 to 4 inches of shredded damp newspaper in the bottom then put food scrapes in and to start you can cover that with some peat moss,not earth as it is to heavy,later you will be able to cover what you add with the castings that are in there. The smaller the size of your food scrapes the faster the worms will compost them.

The worms in your backyard are not the type of worms you want, they are earth worms and Red Wigglers are compost worms. Earthworms will die quickly and cause the container to stink as they rot. If you are in an area were you have access to an old manure pile you can go and dig in it and find your own Red Wigglers ( they are easy to identify because of their reddish color and when you pick them up they squirm like they are having a fit instead of just crawling like an earthworm does) if not you are better off ordering some.

When the container is full or you just want some compost for your plants open the top for a while and the worms will go to the bottom and you can take the top stuff off and screen it and return any large stuff back to the container. If you want the worms to go to the bottom faster you can place a light over the container and they will dig down faster to get away from the light.

strungoutmom
by on Mar. 29, 2010 at 4:36 PM

Tatto thanks for the tips.  those are great.  I do have a rubbermaid tote that i was planning on using and drilling some holes in it.  I have horse and cow manure here so that is great.  I think I will start small till I get the hand out it and build from there.

thanks

mom1oo583
by New Member on Apr. 29, 2010 at 5:16 PM

i have heard alot about the worm farm but not sure howto go about making one of my oneconfused

selene13
by New Member on Jul. 3, 2010 at 2:41 PM

We had a program through our city that gave us free 1/2 pound of worms to start worm composting a while back.  So I have 2 bins set up using rubbermade containers.  This is the site that I used that gave good instructions on how to make them. 

http://whatcom.wsu.edu/ag/compost/Easywormbin.htm

It says to use "dirt" but really what you'll want is sand because the worms need it to help digest their food. 

Good luck with your worms!!           turning into globe

mrslolo83
by Member on Jul. 3, 2010 at 2:57 PM

i havent done one but read online that the worms in the backyard dont compost.. it said you can get "red wigglers" from a bait store for cheap and those are good composters.. you can also add damp newspaper to your compost bin.. also make sure to drill holes in the tote for the worms to breathe!! good luck and let me know how it goes, im going to start mine when we move next month into a house :) good luck with yours!!

mrslolo83
by Member on Jul. 3, 2010 at 3:00 PM

you can also check youtube, there are lots of videos showing how to make them on there :)

smalltowngal
by on Jul. 25, 2010 at 5:19 PM

I've had my worm bins for a couple months now and at first, I had a bit of a rough start but they're doing great now. I have lots of baby worms and they really seem to like melon. 

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

close Join now to connect to
other members!
Connect with Facebook or Sign Up Using Email

Already Joined? LOG IN