Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

I am thinking of doing a Worm Farm has anyone done one. I am just going to do a small one possibly in a rubber maid tote.  From what i have read i just need to get some potting soil and i can order some worms but thinking of just using the ones out of my own backyard.  I add them to the soil and add leaves, grass clippings, and food scraps other than dairy, meats ect.

I am thinking of just doing a small one to use for my plants.  If it really wrks just keep adding to it.

deana in Texas

by on Mar. 24, 2010 at 8:13 PM
Replies (11-14):
thundersky
by on Jul. 31, 2010 at 3:12 PM

Quoting mrslolo83:

i havent done one but read online that the worms in the backyard dont compost.. it said you can get "red wigglers" from a bait store for cheap and those are good composters.. you can also add damp newspaper to your compost bin.. also make sure to drill holes in the tote for the worms to breathe!! good luck and let me know how it goes, im going to start mine when we move next month into a house :) good luck with yours!!

earth worms compost yard waist and kitchen waist and red wigglers just compost kitchen waist not yard waist. if want to do both then you need euopean earth worms they are the best.

doccat
by Member on Sep. 29, 2011 at 10:11 AM

I am into VERMICOMPOSTING, so you my kinda people.  I have 2 sets of rubbermaid tubs full of worms.  It's very easy and cheap to start those type of bins.  I also have a set of smaller tubs, I use to do Master Gardener demo on vermicomposting at various plant clinics.  I have the big bins in the spare bedroom and no there is no odor.  If your bin starts to smell, you are overfeeding the worms.  You can fix that problem by adding additional bedding to the bin to help absorb the odor.  I use black and white newspaper for my bedding, I won't use peat moss, because of the environmental issues involved and it's acidic, so it takes a couple of days of soaking to neutralize it.  Worms don't like the environment.  One thing for this system, you want to use only red wigglers or fishing worms (eisenia foetida).  You can buy them commerciallly, or you can find them in your yard.  Wet an area of your yard, cover it with a piece of cardboard, wait a day or 2 and remove the cardboard.  You got to be fast, worms don't like light, so they'll dive down, but that's one way to harvest your own.  Kids love to help with this, btw and they're a lot faster than I am.  LOL 

This site is the one I used to build our wormbins:

http://whatcom.wsu.edu/ag/compost/Easywormbin.htm

doccat5

grateful01
by Member on Mar. 18, 2012 at 12:57 PM

Yes, i have a compost pile in my backyard and, when i dig into it and turn it, the worms are all through it! They are fat and juicey!  i dig right in the bottom of the compost pile where the grass clippings, brown leaves, vegetable scraps, fruit scraps, egg shells,and coffee grinds have been added! Make sure you wet it so it will break down! Some put newspaper in it but, i haven't tried it yet!

strungoutmom
by on Mar. 21, 2012 at 2:21 AM

Doccat thanks for the tips,  and will check out the website too.  I am wanting to get something started so I can feed them to the chickens too as a treat.  Well with all this rain we had had the past 2 days seems like it could be 3 as well lol there should be some worms around here someplace.  If I can get out to where the compost pile is I will give it a turn tomorrow and see what is going on. I think they girls have neglected it so I just may have to take it over. They were wanted to do a small one for a project but have not seen them turn it, give it some water, or add anything to it but more shavings and chicken poop lol.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)