Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Organic Soil?

Posted by on Apr. 10, 2010 at 12:59 PM
  • 3 Replies
  • 556 Total Views

Is this necessary for organic gardening? My yard hasn't been treated with chemicals.

Is bagged (non organic) soil treated with something?  

by on Apr. 10, 2010 at 12:59 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-3):
SanDiegoMaxMom
by Member on Apr. 10, 2010 at 3:10 PM

Who knows?  Even organic soil sometimes contains stuff I wouldn't want to grow food in.  If you have to amend, why not try adding in some steer or chicken manure. 

frogbender
by Member on May. 15, 2010 at 5:59 PM

You have to be careful doing that, especially if you do not know where the manure came from. Unless you are getting the manure from a certified-organic farm, it could contain by-products from feed. "Organic" soil can only be called such if it has been uncontaminated for 3 years by any synthetic chemicals. I'm not sure why you think organic soil contains "stuff?" you wouldn't want to grow food in? What is food supposed to grown in then?

Quoting SanDiegoMaxMom:

Who knows?  Even organic soil sometimes contains stuff I wouldn't want to grow food in.  If you have to amend, why not try adding in some steer or chicken manure. 

frogbender
by Member on May. 15, 2010 at 6:00 PM

To the OP, soilless mixes often contain wetting agents and nutrient starters that are not considered organic. If you are going to be using a soilless media, buy one that is organic.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)