Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Suggestions for a raised watermelon, cantaloupe, and pumpkin beds

Posted by on Apr. 14, 2010 at 2:43 PM
  • 8 Replies
  • 1172 Total Views

I've heard a couple of people on here talk about hilling. Do you think that laying down a weed mat and then dumping soil and mulch would work for my watermelon, cantaloupe, and pumpkins? I'm curious because I don't want to have to buy a huge container and I don't think I could even get anything big enough, and I'm not sure that I want to go through the process of building a bed either, since I already built 5 other ones along my fence. Has anyone else tried this before?

Thanks!

by on Apr. 14, 2010 at 2:43 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-8):
klt332
by Member on Apr. 15, 2010 at 6:31 AM

Yes, that will work. I have nothing but hills in my garden. My watermelons and cantaloupes are growing fine.Just make sure you space your hills for enough room to walk and work and for the vines to sprawl.I put down nothing to stop weeds..of course I'm working with rocks and clay here.Good luck..I love the hilling method!!

RedneckGranny
by on Apr. 15, 2010 at 2:54 PM

I am Planting Tomatos,Yellow squash,Zuccini,Okra,Cucumbers,Eggplant an few other things just havent decided yet.

auroragold
by Group Owner on Apr. 15, 2010 at 4:39 PM

Yeah - I was just thinking that you need the room for the vines to spread. Do you have the space??

I also would stay away from weed mats. Put down a thick layer of newspaper, wet it and THEN put your stuff on top of it. The newspaper will decompose eventually adding to the soil. No need for that nasty black fabric stuff.

GHFDLSG
by Member on Apr. 16, 2010 at 2:36 AM

I am planning to make three long hills about 6-8 feet long. I've never grown these plants before so I'm not quite sure about how they will grow. I have 24 of both watermelon and cantaloupe and about 15 pumpkin plants. I guess I need more than 8 feet for each one if I plant all of these plants? I used peat pellets to get them started....

klt332
by Member on Apr. 16, 2010 at 6:01 AM

Sounds to me like you'll do great with that set up. gardeningKeep us posted on your plants.

GHFDLSG
by Member on Apr. 16, 2010 at 10:35 PM

thank you I will let you know how it works! I gotta get them in the ground soon because they are sprouting like crazy lol.

scrapbookmama68
by New Member on Apr. 17, 2010 at 8:05 PM

I want to grow zuchinni,cucmbers,beans and peas. How would I do that in a small space? Is there a trellis design? How would I make a trellis?

GHFDLSG
by Member on Apr. 19, 2010 at 10:05 PM

I just bought a package of wooden dowels from Walmart for 97 cents and some bead cord and I'm gonna place two sticks in the ground and tie some cord between them. If it's too short I may look for some bigger sticks in the yard and do that. I bought a big trellis but my peas are not reaching it yet so they are getting all tangled up on the ground.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)