Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Native Gardening

Posted by on May. 16, 2010 at 8:34 AM
  • 6 Replies
  • 718 Total Views

What state are you in?  Do you have any websites, books, clubs to suggest?  This is the best way, in my opinion, to garden organically.  What's *meant* to grow, will grow with little intervention by humans if it's native. 

Hearthside:
Where hearts & minds are grown

by on May. 16, 2010 at 8:34 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-6):
Jampuppy
by on May. 17, 2010 at 7:47 AM

Midwest and Eastern US:  www.easywildflowers.com/Seeds.htm

purses2010
by Member on May. 17, 2010 at 8:06 AM

I Am Not Very Good At Gardening; but Im Very Thankful For All The Information From You All.  ComingKeep It.hugs

mrslolo83
by Member on May. 17, 2010 at 1:15 PM

no websites or books to suggest but im in Arizona

samurai_chica
by New Member on Sep. 9, 2010 at 10:00 AM

I totally agree. I will only plant native species in my yard, Although...i did leave the exisitng non-native species in the yard. This is the site i like to use for GA. GA has sucha  wide variety of native plants, LOVE IT!

http://www.gnps.org/

doccat
by Member on Sep. 29, 2011 at 9:40 AM

I'm in VA, Zone 7b, although my little patch is closer to 8, and I do like to "push" the envelop a bit.  Hence I have several nice tropicals in pots, that I can protect in the winter.  It's great fun.  I been gardening for almost 30 years and have always used organic methods.  My area of expertise is primarily vegetable gardening, but we also have fruit and nut trees and I use organic methods with those also.  Sometimes the fruit's not as pretty as what's the the store, however, they have this nifty little items called knives that work wonders to cut out bad spots.  And there's no comparison for taste!!  

I've been working on converting my flower beds to all native type plants.  I'm currently signed up to take classes to become a Master in the use of Native Plants.  I think that's going to be very interesting.  

I also suggest you check with your local extension office for info on your local Native Plant Society.  Also many Master Gardeners use only organic and are a great source for info and advice.  

doccat5

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)