Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

My First Garden *pics* - UPDATE

Posted by on Jun. 3, 2010 at 4:24 PM
  • 10 Replies
  • 716 Total Views

My name is Tiffany, I live in Oklahoma.  This is my first garden since I planted okra as a kid. 

I am so incredibly proud of this garden.  It was my lovely husbands idea to plant a garden this year and amazing it became my job to tend to it and care for it. 

For the most part it hasn't bothered me to care for it but I have noticed some problem areas and being the new gardener I am don't have a clue what could be wrong or how/if I can fix it. 

Right after I planted the 6 tomato plants and squash and zucchini.

The idea that started the whole gardening system was the topsy turvy - contains a cherry tomato plant.

This taken a few days ago.

Harvested my first zucchini on Tuesday morning.  We ate it on homemade pizza for dinner that night.

Here is what seems to be happening to most of my squash plants.  They are straight neck summer squash.  The ends turn brown and eventually the fruit falls off.

Here is my turvy from a few days ago.  I have a single cherry tomato ready to be picked.  May let the kids pick it tonight.

and last but certainly not least is my tomato plants, one better boy tomateo turned orange last evening...can't wait!!

Thanks for looking -

Tiffany ~ Mom of 4yo twins ~ Kolby and Hailey ~

- Update -
After lots of searching and questioning I discovered what is wrong with my squash plants.  Fortunately it is not a disease of any kind and it can be cured.  I have what is called Squash Blossom End Rot and it is caused mainly by a lack of calcium in the soil.  They make different things you can add to the garden to enrich the calcium levels.  I plan to take a trip to the local garden center this weekend to see what they recommend I use.  Hopefully we can get some calcium into this soil before I lose all my hard word.

by on Jun. 3, 2010 at 4:24 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
auroragold
by Group Owner on Jun. 3, 2010 at 4:30 PM

WOO HOO!!!!

Too early for harvest in my neck of the woods (heck, there aren't even 'maters yet) so I am J.E.A.L.O.U.S!!

reux
by Member on Jun. 3, 2010 at 4:32 PM

Beautiful garden!!! 

dubltym
by New Member on Jun. 3, 2010 at 5:23 PM

Thanks ladies.  I just wish I knew what was wrong with my squash. I'm praying it doesn't affect the other plants in the garden.

QueenFelicia
by Member on Jun. 4, 2010 at 11:01 AM

looks great! i didnt plant a summer garden this year, but i hope to plant a fall garden. glad you found out what was wrong with the squash...

midwestmom
by Member on Jun. 5, 2010 at 9:11 AM

Tiffany, are you sure you are a newbie?  Your garden looks amazing!  I've never planted squash or zuccinni.  I have tomatoes, cucumbers, peppers and added lettuce & spinach this year.  Your kids will enjoy & learn so much from gardening,

mrslolo83
by Member on Jun. 5, 2010 at 3:35 PM

awesome job! im jealous lol

thundersky
by on Jun. 5, 2010 at 5:30 PM

for calsium crush up your eggs and but then around your plants it keeps slugs away and puts calsium in th ground

muddysuzi
by New Member on Mar. 14, 2011 at 4:19 PM

You should be so proud!!  Gardening is really the most wonderful thing we can do for our families.

strungoutmom
by on Mar. 15, 2011 at 9:21 AM

Looks really great.  great job on your new garden.

I have not even started on my garden here in Texas yet.  Need to get the old tomato plants pulled up and get the ground ready to plant some new ones.

Think this year I am going to plant squash, zuccini, never planted lettuce might try that too. and a few treats for the chickens as well.

deana

MLM247
by on Mar. 15, 2011 at 6:17 PM

Well done. Next step might be to try corn or beans. Remember to rotate your garden beds. You will need two or three, so that the same crop does not grow in the same soil each year. You are obviously well on the way to being a very accomplished gardener.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

close Join now to connect to
other members!
Connect with Facebook or Sign Up Using Email

Already Joined? LOG IN