Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Sunchips bags

Posted by on Sep. 4, 2010 at 7:57 PM
  • 5 Replies
  • 534 Total Views

Has anyone else tried using those compostable Sunchips bags?  They're really noisy, but it's supposed to be because they're made to be composted.  When I first saw them I had just gotten a compost bin.  We got some (we do love Sunchips anyway) and put the bag in the bin when we were finished.  That was sometime in the middle of May.  I was just out stirring up my bin and guess what I found.  That bag had worked its way down through the pile but is still in its original condition.   There's not even a hole in it!  The other stuff I have put in there is doing just as I would expect it to do.  Other than the newest stuff, there is some lovely black almost soil looking compost in there.  (I'm new to this, so please excuse my lack of proper gardening lingo.)

They say that these bags are supposed to be fully composted within 12-16 weeks.  Am I crazy to be a little irritated that nothing has changed in 14 weeks?  No, I'm not making a huge deal out of it, but it does have me wondering why the bag is practically reusable.  Maybe it's just an ad campaign to make people feel better about tossing trash out the window.

by on Sep. 4, 2010 at 7:57 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-5):
mrslolo83
by Member on Sep. 4, 2010 at 8:16 PM

no clue.. interesting though.. BUMP!

bsflower13
by Member on Sep. 7, 2010 at 10:38 AM

Thank you for sharing that, these are the kinds of things we all think about but never get to talk about.

I think it is a scam..   but were the chips good?

http://www.growitsaveituseit.com/

Brenda Snyder

ladybugLive,laugh,love

CrazyMom5480
by Member on Sep. 7, 2010 at 11:57 AM
1 mom liked this

Heck yeah they were good!  It's just too bad that everyone knew everytime I tried to sneak a little junk food snack.

Quoting bsflower13:

Thank you for sharing that, these are the kinds of things we all think about but never get to talk about.

I think it is a scam..   but were the chips good?

doccat
by Member on Sep. 8, 2010 at 10:06 AM

You have to learn to be patient.  Composting is by definition the break down of organic components in the soil.  I would say the manufacture is using "best guess" on the break down time since every compost bin is different.  There are many factors that come into play.  That yummy black gold in the bottom you're talking about is compost.  Good for you!  That's black gold!    Just think what could happen to our landfills if more manufacturers offered this type of packaging.  It's a great idea!  I didn't realize somebody was doing this, but I'm going to have to buy some of those chips and give them a try.   My DH and I have been doing organic gardening and composting for over 20 years, so I'm always interested in something new that's more earth friendly.  Thanks for sharing the information.

Enchantee
by Member on Oct. 12, 2010 at 5:15 PM

Greetings, sweet one!

You're not crazy.  *wink*  Your post made me giggle, darling.  How perfectly frustrating!

When I had an operating compost heap system, I found that I got the best results composting more challenging items if I dug a hole directly in the middle of an established, "hot", active compost heap, dropped the new bits in there, added a handful of autumn leaves, & covered it all up again.  

I really don't know if that will help you at all, but you might like to try it, if you haven't already.

It would be interesting to see the Sun Chips folks' response to a polite e-mail outlining your experience with these nifty new bags.  *wink*  Perhaps there is some improvement that you might be able to help them to make.  *wink*

Good luck, & thank you for sharing this!

Love & light...Ceci 

"Nothing makes a woman more beautiful than the belief that she is beautiful." ~ Sophia Loren (1934 ~ present)
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

close Join now to connect to
other members!
Connect with Facebook or Sign Up Using Email

Already Joined? LOG IN