Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

How do I get my Hydrangea to bloom?

Posted by on Mar. 22, 2011 at 2:30 PM
  • 14 Replies
  • 2268 Total Views

I can never seem to get my hydrangeas to bloom!  Once, i had a hydrangea that grew so pretty and  full, with the greenest leaves but, no flowers ever bloomed on it!  Help me!!!!!!

by on Mar. 22, 2011 at 2:30 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
auroragold
by Group Owner on Mar. 22, 2011 at 2:31 PM

It depends on the TYPE of hydrangea you have.

What do you have?

grateful01
by Member on Mar. 22, 2011 at 6:47 PM

Blue Hydrangea

MLM247
by on Mar. 23, 2011 at 6:37 PM

Is it getting enough sun? Even though hydrangeas will grow in quite heavy shade, generally you need good light exposure for part of the day for flowers. You might need to prune some overhanging branches.

prideinbienamom
by New Member on Apr. 14, 2011 at 2:44 AM

I just planted some of these and they look withered. =( I hope they live. I can't seem to keep much alive and my darn backyard gets like NO sun at all. Hydrangeas are soooo beautiful.

QuiltLover
by on Apr. 14, 2011 at 8:51 AM

I read up on these because when I bought them they were in full bloom (blue) and gorgeous...Last year, nothing but green, only got one little piddly flower...I had the big tall grasses planted beside these...That was it...no sun...will move them this year...They need the sun or you will just have the green...keep us posted on how yours do this year...

jewjewbee
by on Apr. 17, 2011 at 6:28 PM

I don't think you have enough Phosphorous in the dirt. Or you may be using a fertilizer that encourages only foliage growth, like Miracle Grow. If you can find some " Bloom" at the hardware store, try it now, and you should see flowers by the end of May. GL

koosette
by Member on Apr. 18, 2011 at 10:52 AM

need to get some of them

CanadianChelsea
by Member on Apr. 19, 2011 at 6:46 AM

Blue Hydrangeas produce their flowers on old growth.  If you cut them back before they bloom, there will be no flowers. 

The white hydrangeas called Annabelle can be cut back before it blooms. 

If you live in an area that has severe winters, the blue hydrangea tips could break off resulting in no blooms.

Yes, a good amount of sunlight is important for them to bloom.  If you live in a hot climate, partial shade would be better.

Hydrangeas need good, rich soil and plenty of water for them to grow big and strong. 'Hydra' means water.

The colour of hydrangea flowers depends on the soil where they are grown.  The presence of acid soil and aluminum sulfate encourages blue flowers.  You can purchase aluminum sulfate at your local garden center.  If your hydrangea is supposed to be blue but they are pink, add diluted aluminum sulfate to the soil a little at a time until the desired colour is achieved.  Beware tho, too much aluminum sulfate can burn the plants.  So easy does it.

grateful01
by Member on May. 5, 2011 at 8:17 PM

Thank You, everyone for  your informative input. When i buy another hydrangea for the third time, i'll be sure to let you all know how it is coming along!

3rdtymsthecharm
by on Jul. 18, 2011 at 3:11 PM

I'm just now getting some blooms on mine

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)