Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

is it too late to plant my garden?

Posted by on Jun. 5, 2011 at 4:56 AM
  • 7 Replies
  • 717 Total Views

LOL so i have been trying to make room for a garden... well i now have a spot for my garden to plant watermelon,peas,jalepeno (red) and lettuce, so question is.. is it too late to plant them? and what do you recommend? fertlizing? any pointers will help thanks ladies :)

by on Jun. 5, 2011 at 4:56 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-7):
koosette
by Member on Jun. 6, 2011 at 11:26 AM

sorry i don't know

riotgrrl
by Member on Jun. 6, 2011 at 11:44 AM

It might be a little late for the watermelon because those require a long growing period. You could try sugar babies or another small melon. Peas, lettuce and hot peppers all grow fast and it's not too late for those.

1_hawt_mami
by New Member on Jun. 7, 2011 at 5:27 AM
I tthink I did plant the smaller type of water melon..should I use a miracle grow fertilizer or are those harmful for us?
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
yellyell083
by on Jun. 7, 2011 at 12:05 PM

We use 10-20-10 on our garden but, I have also used the miracle grow garden formula you mix with water.

evansmommy03
by New Member on Jun. 7, 2011 at 12:10 PM

The peppers and lettuce should be fine.  Lettuce grows pretty fast so you could probably still do a couple plantings of lettuce.  Watermelon may or may not do well since it needs plenty of grow time and normally peas are an early crop if I am not mistaken, so I am not too sure how well those would do.  I guess it will depend on what kind of peas you are planting I have never grown them so I am not positive.  We normally till aged manure into our soil and that is typically the only thing we use to fertilize.

yellyell083
by on Jun. 7, 2011 at 1:05 PM

You can check the farmers almanac also. It will tell you when the best time for planting each item is in your area. I also use it when cutting my hair and doing a lot of things.

gracie1220
by New Member on Jul. 19, 2011 at 12:37 AM

You can also check the growing time on the package of seeds.    I planted squash in the spring.   Its just about gone, so I planted squash again about a month ago.   I want more squash before fall, lol.   I hope it gets a move on.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)