Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

squash not producing?

Posted by on Jul. 15, 2013 at 12:23 PM
  • 6 Replies
  • 504 Total Views

Hi everyone,  

maybe I'm just being impatient, IDK. I have a bunch of big beautiful squash plants. They've been flowering for a couple months but I only have one plant with 1 fruit on it (and that one is a pumpkin and the cute little pumpkin looks about ready to pick in July--is that weird, I've never grown them). Any thoughts? I would have thought the summer squashes would produce something by now.  Thanks! Oh and I'm in the Los Angeles area if that helps.  

by on Jul. 15, 2013 at 12:23 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-6):
opinionatedmom
by on Jul. 16, 2013 at 2:39 AM
Squash bugs. They wiped all of mine out. I tried everything to control them and lost.
reux
by Member on Jul. 16, 2013 at 10:29 AM

I don't see that anything is eating them they just aren't producing fruit. I'll take a closer look later today though to see if I'm missing anything. 

Quoting opinionatedmom:

Squash bugs. They wiped all of mine out. I tried everything to control them and lost.

opinionatedmom
by on Jul. 16, 2013 at 10:38 AM
Water them, that's when I find mine.

Quoting reux:

I don't see that anything is eating them they just aren't producing fruit. I'll take a closer look later today though to see if I'm missing anything. 

Quoting opinionatedmom:

DissieDothe
by on Jul. 16, 2013 at 10:39 PM

Okay so you're in LA - any heat waves? Did you start your squash plants from seed or buy small starter plants? When people say squash, I just think it's yellow type.

I have some growing here in Illinois. Started them from seed. They were late germinating because we had some late winter snow and the temps did not stop hitting the freeze zone (32) till mid May. We transplanted them to the ground garden around mid June. We had tons of rain & flooding around that time too. So again ... it slowed them growing. Now mid July, we're seeing a lot of blossoms and 3 or 4 baby squash. But now we have a heat wave and no rain. I have put up a tarp to keep them from frying during the day so they are not struggling just to survive and water in the evening. The heat wave is suppose to break this weekend and cool down for at least a week.

During all this, I learned that we could have actually waited till August to have a nice crop around October. Probably less weather problems too. I also learned that the blossoms that don't produce a squash pollinate the plant. The more blossoms, in due time more squash. We also have a pumpkin patch and the same problems.

The seed pack says harvest 60-90 days. You probably can tell ... this is my first garden.

reux
by Member on Jul. 17, 2013 at 12:57 PM

Yeah, maybe it's the heat. It's been in the 90's a lot. Maybe I should try them in the fall. I'm new to gardening in this area. 

reux
by Member on Aug. 8, 2013 at 5:35 PM

It all died. Onto the next set of plants! 

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)