Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

You know you're a compostaholic when....

Posted by on Oct. 15, 2008 at 7:56 PM
  • 21 Replies
  • 1052 Total Views

- your neighbors start bringing you their vegetable and fruit peels

- the guys in the produce section see you coming and go get the trash bag of corn husks for you

- the lady you met via FreeCycle (who has a landscaper husband) emails and asks if you want a dumptruck full of grass clippings...

c'mon ladies, fess up.......... I can't be the only lunatic out there!

by on Oct. 15, 2008 at 7:56 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
Reisamom
by New Member on Oct. 15, 2008 at 9:54 PM

-on trash day you stop to pick up other peoples bags of leaves... :P

SanDiegoMaxMom
by Member on Feb. 21, 2009 at 12:57 AM

OK....my family is even into it.  Usually I save anything that can be used again in another meal.  My hubby will sometimes say, don't worry...it'll make good compost!

auroragold
by Group Owner on Feb. 21, 2009 at 7:19 AM

Don't ya love when they finally "GET IT"?!?

I can't wait for my compost pile to thaw out so I can go work it.

momnurse8828
by New Member on Mar. 10, 2009 at 11:08 AM

I really want to start composting but don't know where to begin! I would love some pointers.....what do I put it in,what do I put in it to make, all that good stuff! Thanks! Hope

lauried8164
by Member on Mar. 22, 2009 at 11:55 AM

My husband just built me a compost bin last weekend and will build a second one to put the finished compost in. I don't know much about composting yet, but have asked about everyone I know from cafe owners to friends and family  to save me their scraps and clippings. My life has be so busy and hectic the past couple of years that I haven't had much time for gardening  or anything for that matter. ( have a HUGE problem telling people "NO" I am hoping now that it is slowing down somewhat I will be able to do my gardening that I love to do. As I said be fore I don't know much about composting so any and all tips, tricks and info would be greatly appreciated. Thanks Laurie welcome spring.gif

auroragold
by Group Owner on Mar. 24, 2010 at 10:48 AM

I had a very hard time this weekend. I was out of town helping with a big birthday party.  We were making a HUMONGOUS fruit salad.

I was having a heart attack with the amount of perfectly good compostable fruit waste that was being tossed in the garbage!  I nearly grabbed a bag to take it and just store it in the car - but sitting there for 3 days didn't strike me as a good idea.

Sigh............it was so hard watching it go to waste

SleepyCherie
by Member on Mar. 25, 2010 at 12:10 PM

We have a small "city" compost- but if we had a bigger area, I would be in your shoes :)

midwestmom
by Member on Mar. 26, 2010 at 6:31 PM

I have two composters.  The first one I got is a rubbermaid house style with flaps at the bottom where the finished compost comes out.  I was having problems with the local critters eating my compost.  I'd put produce waste in and the next day it would be gone.  So last year I got a tumbling style composter that is on a stand and is sealed with no way for the critters to get in.  It is much easier to turn the compost in the tumbling style barrel.  Unless you want to turn your compost pile by hand, which I was very bad at, I recommend a style that can turn the compost easily. 

There is a formula for what you put in a compost but I forget the ratios of "green" & "brown".  You want to add (green) kitchen scraps such as peelings,  produce that has gone bad etc.  I know people who add banana peels, pineapple skins, watermelon rinds etc.   You also want to add (brown) dead or dried materials like leaves, dried grass, other dead vegetation you may find in your garden.  Turn the pile to keep everything moist.  If it's too dry add water to the pile.   Do not add any fat as it just gets rancid.  This would mean no left over salad with dressing, no meats or fat trimmings etc.

I'm sure there are websites that explain everything much better than I can try to say here. I get really good rich dirt out of my composts. I just wish I had much more as I never get nearly as much as I need.

Happy composting!!plant a tree

midwestmom
by Member on Mar. 26, 2010 at 7:25 PM
Found the below info at the CafeMom group: Green Organic Natural Simple Living.  Search directory for Gardening & Yard Posts link.  Click on Composting Tips & Recipes.
Hope this helps.
by  KayMMIVon May. 9, 2008 at 1:07 PM
  • Tips for better composting

1. Don't throw away your kitchen scraps -- add them to the compost pile. Kitchen scraps are typically high in nitrogen, which helps heat up the compost pile and speed up the composting process. Egg shells, coffee grounds, fruit and vegetable peels and scraps are all outstanding materials to add.

2. If you're composting with a compost pile, bigger is often better. Heat builds up with a big pile. You don't want to get much bigger than about 3 feet by 3 feet though.

3. Keep your compost aerated! If you are composting with a tumbling composter, make sure you turn it whenever you add new materials. If you are composting with a pile, or in a static (non-tumbling) compost bin, be sure to mix up the contents so that the pile gets oxygen and can break down effectively.

4. Don't let the compost completely dry out. A compost pile needs moisture to keep the composting process active.

5. Don't keep your compost too wet so that it gets soggy and starts to stink. Just as too dry is bad, too wet is also something that you should avoid.

6. Too much of any one material will slow down the composting process. If you have all leaves, all grass clippings or an overload of any other single type of material, it can throw off the balance of the pile. In general, it's good to keep a mix of green and brown material

•  
    gsmom9
    by Member on Jul. 24, 2010 at 12:08 PM

i just started one this spring with an old bottomless barrel, that i drilled a bunch of holes in. its very satisfying to see black dirt when i turn it over with the pitchfork. cool

Add your quick reply below:
    You must be a member to reply to this post.
    Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
    Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)