Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Keeping pests away naturally?

Posted by on Apr. 20, 2009 at 10:33 AM
  • 8 Replies
  • 1025 Total Views

I just put my veggie garden in, and my biggest problem last year was the copious amount of squirrels eating nearly everything I grew.  I've seen deer and rabbit repellent, but nothing for squirrels.  Any organic or natual ideas?

And for bugs, I've heard to just use soapy water in a spray bottle.  Will that work as well using the natural soap like seventh generation?

by on Apr. 20, 2009 at 10:33 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-8):
woodsyearthmama
by Member on Apr. 20, 2009 at 11:46 AM

As far as the spray goes I use Dr Bronners...peppermint, hemp or lavender with good success.  If it gets bad then I use a little neem oil mixed in as well.

beth1281
by on Apr. 20, 2009 at 11:52 AM

Is that for the bugs or the squirrels?

Quoting woodsyearthmama:

As far as the spray goes I use Dr Bronners...peppermint, hemp or lavender with good success.  If it gets bad then I use a little neem oil mixed in as well.

woodsyearthmama
by Member on Apr. 20, 2009 at 11:55 AM

The bugs...best i can say for the squirrels is to feed them corn/seed mix away from your garden and they will likely hang out there!

Quoting beth1281:

Is that for the bugs or the squirrels?

Quoting woodsyearthmama:

SanDiegoMaxMom
by Member on Apr. 20, 2009 at 9:09 PM

Quoting woodsyearthmama:

The bugs...best i can say for the squirrels is to feed them corn/seed mix away from your garden and they will likely hang out there.

I did something similar.  I planted a new area with seeds....and the birds thought it was a new Hometown Buffet!  I put out a dish of birdseed and they've left it alone so far. 

AdairGypsy
by Member on Mar. 8, 2010 at 8:18 AM

Regular chilli pepper sprinkled on every few days works. AGainst mammals at least , not birds.

it burns their eyes so they stay away. I use it against squirrel and rabbits.

Nixshix
by Member on Apr. 7, 2010 at 6:24 PM

Quoting AdairGypsy:

Regular chilli pepper sprinkled on every few days works. AGainst mammals at least , not birds.

it burns their eyes so they stay away. I use it against squirrel and rabbits.

^this^

The squirrels in my yard are the bane of my existence.

I also grow sunflowers and save the heads and then the next summer I put them out one by one.. it keeps them squirrels busy.

websorceress
by Member on Apr. 7, 2010 at 6:37 PM

I don't know if it will work on squirrels but it sure kept my bunny away from certain things in my house, animals do not like strong odors..........I sprinkle garlic around my garden at least once a month..........the slugs and other insects hate it.........and do stay away........might work on the squirrels too.....

DreadyMom
by Member on Apr. 10, 2010 at 1:02 PM

Last year, I got a cat. Worked great for me. ;)

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)