Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Topsy-Turvy... HOMEMADE!

Posted by   + Show Post

Like the idea, but don't want to spend the money?  There are two different ways of making your own...

What I did:

Take a hanging planter and remove the water drain plate, if there is one. Make one of the drain holes big enough to put the main plant stalk through. Fill up the planter halfway, and make sure the bottom 1/3 of the stalk is packed in soil. Fill up the remainder.  The benefit of this way is that you can plant stuff on the top part of the planter, too. This is what it looks like:

The other (cheaper) way is with a 2-liter soda bottle or a gallon vinegar bottle. You cut the top off and invert it, pushing the plant through that so the roots are inside.

The instructions for both ways are at this website:

http://honestinfomercialreviews.com/home/plant-and-garden/topsy_turvy/

Since neither WalMart or King Soopers had the actual planters, I improvised, and I think it turned out rather well.

Enjoy! :)

by on May. 22, 2009 at 6:24 PM
Replies (11-13):
Rabbitflops
by New Member on Jun. 2, 2011 at 9:53 PM

Thank you so much for sharing. I have just regular plastic pots that I can use and just hand make with a wire to rap around them would work great. Thank you.

marklorna
by Member on Jun. 4, 2011 at 10:45 AM

Great idea!

strungoutmom
by on Jun. 5, 2011 at 7:11 AM

I am not sure if others are following this post but learned a new trick on your tube. After you cut your hole in the planter, and put a coffee filter of the hole with the slit in it so the plant can got threw it. ( this hold the dirt in ). well a lady on You Tube took a regular sponge and cut a slit in in so she can put it at the bottom of the planter and the sponge is wrapped around the plant stem.  Then when you add the dirt and then water, the sponge acts as an absorber and hold water for the plant to feed off of. I am thinking when the soil is a little dry the sponge is still moist to give the plants some more water till you water again.

I liked that idea.

deana

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)