Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Essential Oil & Spice Rack "Pesticides" To Aid Organic Farmers (and Green Thumbs)

Posted by on Aug. 17, 2009 at 12:07 PM
  • 3 Replies
  • 875 Total Views

Most of us have heard about how running a line of cinnamon around our homes will deter ants.

We've probably all tried at least once to dust our plants with cayenne powder to deter hungry, indiscriminately munching insects.

Well, a recent ongoing study has yielded some awesome findings about the spices that you have in your cupboard and how they could become the future of organic pest management.

I don't know about you, but I'm so happy about this....in fact, I wish they'd reveal the recipes so that I can just whip them up myself!!

In the meantime, does anyone here have any tried-and-true spice or essential oil based natural pesticide recipes that you'd be willing to share?

by on Aug. 17, 2009 at 12:07 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-3):
websorceress
by Member on Aug. 17, 2009 at 6:33 PM

I sure would love some of those recipes too, thanks for sharing..........I do use garlic to keep pests away, it does work but I need to refresh about once a month, sometimes I forget...........I just chop it up and throw it around the plants and sometimes on top of the plants.....

I've purchased some all natural pesticides in the past but they have to be sprayed quite often to really work good and the spray bottle they come in is hard on the hands.........I found for me the garlic works really good.

If you do a google search I'm sure you'll find some recipes.........

BumBoosaMom
by New Member on Aug. 18, 2009 at 7:03 AM

Catnip oil works very well diluted.  I also use it in a bug spray with Palo Santo oil (Floracopeia is the only place who hasa it), Citronella, Eucalyptus, Peppermint, Lemongrass, Tea Tree, and Lavender.  I have also sprayed this around my plants and seems to work too.

AdairGypsy
by Member on Mar. 8, 2010 at 8:15 AM

Mint oil should work , a non organic method that works well with ants is nutrasweet. Its sweet with no calories so they starve to death. If you buy a mint plant , you can harvest its leaves , fill a jar with coconut or olive oil , cap it and let it set in a sunny window. For other bugs and pests you can do the same oil trick with orange peel , garlic , calandeula , hot red chillie , chili pepper in the same fashion. I have a post about it on my blog @ 

http://underthegypsytree.blogspot.com/2010/03/orange-oil.html

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)