Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Corn or Sunflowers?

Posted by on Sep. 7, 2009 at 8:05 PM
  • 5 Replies
  • 379 Total Views

Im looking for something fun and green to give me some privacy in my inground pool.  This year we tried sunflowers and I love them! My uncle tried corn and theyre so green!

I was wondering the pros and cons of corn?  The sunflowers do bring a LOT of bees.  Will corn bring rodents?  Is it pretty easy to grow?  How long until we can pick them and eat them?  Which one lasts longer during swimming season?  BTW can you tell me the type of sunflower this is.. is was a pack I got for free and wasnt labeled.

by on Sep. 7, 2009 at 8:05 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-5):
amcknabb529
by New Member on Sep. 7, 2009 at 8:20 PM

i dont know what kind they are but they are beautiful....when/if you do find out please let me know bc id love to plant some next yr....corn does usually bring mice...we live beside and in front of fields and the last couple yrs they planted corn and there were mice...this yr was soy beans and nothing as of now thank goodness! i know my hubby always says that the corn should be knee high before the 4th of july!!! hes a hillbilly! but the past couple yrs it has seemed to grow rather fast... you can pick the ears when they are done growing..sorry i dont know much about that im just trying to help and go by what we have done.. good luck in whatever you do...id prob stick w sunflowers and just plant a variety of them......if you dont mind the bees of course! if you use the "normal' ones you can always roast the seeds wehn they are ready!!

SanDiegoMaxMom
by Member on Sep. 7, 2009 at 11:32 PM

I love the sunflowers.  I see you have a fence....so you can also do morning glories.

Corn turns brown and starts to look scrappy pretty early in the season.  You also need several rows if you want them to pollinate and produce corn.

Enchantee
by Member on Oct. 30, 2009 at 12:41 AM

Your sunflowers are just lovely, darling!  Wow!

I did sunflowers for several years when I lived right in the city.  It was a wonderful, joyful wall of colour that gave passersby & neighbours a visual treat & gave me my beloved privacy.  *wink*  I planted cosmos & dill just in front of the sunflowers, with daisies & roses & lavender in front of all that.  The climbing roses & grape vines on my split-rail fence were the icing on the cake.  I'm a sunflower fan, so I'd say stick with the sunflowers!  *wink*

If you really love grasses, you might like to look into pink pampas grass.  It's tall & very fanciful.  Burgess ( http://www.eburgess.com/index.asp) has wonderful options, if you're curious & like to have top quality plants for a very small investment. 

Good luck, sweetie!

Love & light...Ceci

"Bloom where you are planted."

zoesmom66044
by New Member on Oct. 30, 2009 at 6:29 AM

I'm for the Sunflowers.  They are beautiful.  You should check out www.sunflowerguide.com for more info on the red ones.  Happy Gardening!!

klt332
by Member on Jan. 15, 2010 at 6:17 AM

Very nice sunflowers. You've got me thinking on doing the same, the boys are cute. Any special directions on sunflowers? I live in Georgia.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)