Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Advice for roses, please

Posted by on Sep. 20, 2009 at 6:30 PM
  • 1 Replies
  • 610 Total Views

Does anyone have any advice for growing roses organically? I've had very little to no luck with roses in my yard, unfortunately. Dead heading does help some, but I've not been lucky using Miracle Grow for roses in the spray form, nor with the fertilizer spikes.

Help !!!!!

Cindy

ladybug

by on Sep. 20, 2009 at 6:30 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-1):
doccat
by Member on Sep. 29, 2011 at 9:55 AM

Well the first thing is dump the Miracle Grow crap.  Try using compost on your roses, if you don't have your own compost bin, you need to think seriously about starting one.  But the commercial stuff will work as well, you can also use worm castings.  They are one of the richest, most organic form of fertilizer I've ever used.  Worm casting can be applied directly around the base of your roses and you don't have to worry about burn.  Roses love the stuff.  

My main pest problem with my roses is thrips and aphids, and use a homemade insecticidal soap to get rid of the critters.  Since I live in VA the Black Spot capital of the US, I've discovered using plain old corn meal will suppress it and since I started using it 3 years ago, I no longer have a problem with it.  I've fought it for over 20 years with not great success.  Just make sure you throughly clean the bed, black spot is a fungus that is airborne.  It gets on the rose petals, cause them to drop off, and gets into the soil.  The corn gluten in corn meal is a fungus suppressent.  I apply it to the rose bush itself while there is still some dew to help hold the meal and cover the bed with it.  Looks a little odd at first, but works like a charm.  I have little problem with Japanese beetles, as we used Milky Spore on our yard about 20 years ago and I have convinced most of my neighbors to use it also.  We do have one hold out (always got to be 1), so I use four o'clocks along that boarder of the yard as a trap crop to deal with the one's coming from his yard.  I rarely have a problem with them anymore.  

doccat5

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

close Join now to connect to
other members!
Connect with Facebook or Sign Up Using Email

Already Joined? LOG IN