Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Where are you from?

Posted by on Jun. 14, 2007 at 9:14 AM
  • 11 Replies
  • 584 Total Views

Where are you originally from and where are you living now?

I'm originally from the U.S.--specifically from Michigan, though I've lived a few other places in my life too.  Now I'm in metro Manila, Philippines. What a dffierence!  It wouldn't be so bad if it were just me and my hubby, but raising our children here is difficult for me.  Hope we get to go home someday, but trying to make the best of it for my kids' sakes.

by on Jun. 14, 2007 at 9:14 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
Debouille
by New Member on Jun. 28, 2007 at 1:55 AM

Hi,

I'm from France and I've been lived in San Diego for 2 years.

Deb
artistapril
by on Jul. 5, 2007 at 12:30 PM
Hi, I'm April from the US (Chicago) and am moving to Kuwait with Hubby and 3 month old daughter.
Hubby accepted a job with a Military contractor and is going in August 07 and I'm following October-ish.

What is the hardest part about being in a different country? Aside from missing family and friends.
tired_blue
by on Jul. 6, 2007 at 4:21 PM
Where are you originally from and where are you living now?
i am from washington state, usa. i am stuck in tunisia! it is very hard becouse i do not have my own place or speak the language. and i am stuck with my mother in law!
Nia7422
by on Jul. 25, 2007 at 10:47 PM
Hi...well maybe I'm the wrong way round LOL!!! I am living in the US and am originally from the UK. I miss British food and TV......but NOT the weather!! I miss my family and friends and the hardest thing to get used to in the States in the amount of paperwork that I have to complete for just about everything. Having said that.....this is where my hubby is cozm of his work, so I would rather be here than anywhere else.
ProudMommaKJL
by New Member on Jul. 27, 2007 at 9:47 AM
The hardest part....
Well, for me, it was just giving up all those things you take for granted...I stand out like a sore thumb here (I'm blonde, pale and tall...among Asians...no blending in for me).  I can't really go anyplace alone...nothing to drive and safety risks.  The selection in the stores is very different from back home. If you can afford to by the imported stuff, great. But when you have to watch your pesos like us, it takes some getting used to.  Getting used to the food and culture and language is exciting at first, then it just gets frustrating.  I miss so much from back home...but my family definitely tops the list. 

Do your research before you go. Find out what it will be like through books, videos, etc in your new "home".  Be prepared for a long, hard, period of adjustment....give yourself time to get used to a whole new life. 

Sorry...gotta go...

My baby is crying...so gotta run....hope that helps
tijuanamom
by on Jul. 28, 2007 at 3:10 AM
I'm absolutely going against the current lol I'm from Seattle Washington (the state) and living in Tijuana Mexico. Lived in Mexico before for 5 years but in Guadalajara which I had no idea HOW different these two cities would be.
romaniamom3
by New Member on Jul. 29, 2007 at 3:42 PM
I am from Ohio. I am living in Romania (dh is Romanian). We are raising our 3 kids here. The oldest 2 are in public school and doing great! I love because they are all fluent in English and Romanian. When we first came 3 yrs ago they didn't know any Romanian at all. And now my daughter translates for me when I am having trouble...LOL... Big culture shock! They say that the first three or fours years are the breaking in years.. then it is all downhill..hopefully!I am very fortunate to have met some more Americans here close to me to I can have someone to talk to... WOW! Guess I really needed to talk... Later!

Visit my page...www.cafemom.com/home/romaniamom3
Aholt
by New Member on Aug. 12, 2007 at 11:06 PM
I grew up in Texas but went to college and started married life in Georgia so I claim both.  Now I'm living in Corrientes, Argentina (far north of the country).  I love raising my son here, we are even starting the process of adopting an Argentine infant.  I am thankful that my child(ren) have the chance to know more than just one worldview - they'll have a better understanding of more people because they're exposed to more.
mom_to_JP
by New Member on Aug. 18, 2007 at 8:01 PM

Hi! I was born in New Orleans and grew up in a small town north of there. I live abroad for my work. I'm a teacher at an international school in China. I moved abroad about 11 or 12 years ago. I've lived in a couple of places, and I thought I'd stay abroad until I retired, but I never thought I'd stay here in China for as long as I have. However, I met my husband here, also an expat, but from Africa, and now we have a child. I know I want to stay here until she is in school full-time because I know I couldn't afford full-time, one-on-one daycare in my own home back in the US.  Also, I wouldn't mind my daughter being fluent in Mandarin.

There are challenges, but except that my daughter won't know her family as much as I would like, I think the advantages to living abroad outweigh the disadvantages. And even if I were to live in the US, my daughter would not see her cousins on a regular basis because my siblings (all 7 of them) are scattered from Louisiana to Vermont to Greece. And living in the US, she would miss out on knowing her African family. I don't know what to decide about where to live.

titiwidyastuti
by New Member on Feb. 4, 2008 at 11:07 AM
Hi, I'm new to the group, I'm from Indonesia, we're in Texas now, in Houston area.  Moved in about 2 weeks ago from Nigeria, we were there for 4 years and in Cameroon prior to that.
My husband is from California, so Houston is pretty much a 'foreign country' for him as well, :))
We are always enjoying living in different places and our 2 girls, age 3 and 6, also enjoy meeting different people and experiencing different things.
Nigeria was hard because of the security concerns and it was hard to find anything, I'm from Indonesia and I do not need too much "American stuff" to get by, but even so, it was hard and very expensive to find basic stuff over there.  But nonetheless, we enjoyed our time over there and really gratefull that we were there.
Moving to the US is a nice break for us, even though we are not close to my family but I can easily communicate with them etc.  The school is great and there are so many things to choose and do.
To all Moms abroad: be strong, your child(ren) need you to be strong for them.....

Friends are family you choose 

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)