Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

~Luau party for an 11 year old~

Posted by on May. 10, 2010 at 8:57 PM
  • 13 Replies

My daughter is turning 11 in June. She has decided she wants a luau themed party. We live in a town close to the river and there is a "beach" that actually has sand and stuff, so it will be easy to do location. I'm just wondering if anyone has any ideas for games, favors, things like that. Are 11 year olds too old for goody bags? I do have an idea for the cake. Rather than having to slice cake I am going to do cupcakes. She (oddly) requested that I make them rather than buy them. I will attach a pic of the design I want to try.

If we are at the beach with the sand and water for the kids to play in, then do we really need to plan games? I want this to be a good party for her and fun, but I don't want it to seem like a little kid party or to try to do too much.

Help. :)

Lilypie Kids birthday Ticker

by on May. 10, 2010 at 8:57 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
Little_bug
by on May. 10, 2010 at 9:55 PM

limbo, hula hoop contest, pineappe eating contest (slice pineapple in wedges and see who can eat the most in 60 seconds).  Play music and let them hang out ans swim and stuff mostly.

Little_bug
by on May. 10, 2010 at 9:57 PM

oh and the cupcake is ADORABLE

Little_bug
by on May. 10, 2010 at 9:58 PM

OH sand castle building contest!

McClurgmama2
by on May. 10, 2010 at 10:01 PM

We had the same theme for my dd's 11th b-day.We did a hoola hoop contest that everyone had fun with and a limbo contest that was realy funny to watch.I would think you need much since they will already be playing in the water.We did have some fun with trying diffrent foods like fresh cut pinapples and i got them each their own coconut to break open and eat (not that any of them liked it lol) but they had fun trying it.Instead of gift bags i bought sandle decorating kits.You could just get sandles from the $1.00 store with perminant markers in diffrent colors for the kids to decorate or sign each others sandles.Those cup cakes are super cute too!

McClurgmama2
by on May. 10, 2010 at 10:02 PM

Oh also check the dollar store for hawian stuff they have a ton of it right now and thats were i got all the stuff for my dd's party.

schoolmomof2
by on May. 11, 2010 at 9:07 AM

I was going to suggest limbo too. Maybe a watermelon eating contest would be easier. Give each child a big slice of melon at the same time and do a count down to start eating.

The make your own flip flop idea is cute. Get different ribbons to wrap around the flip flop. Then glue some ribbon around the whole base of the sandle. Have silk flowers to add on right above the toe area for a tropical look. BTW these flip flops are from the dollar store.

http://alittleloveliness.blogspot.com/search?q=flip+flop+party This link has a cute pool party with some cute ideas you may like.

Quoting Little_bug:

limbo, hula hoop contest, pineappe eating contest (slice pineapple in wedges and see who can eat the most in 60 seconds).  Play music and let them hang out ans swim and stuff mostly.

luvlavender
by on May. 11, 2010 at 9:37 AM

Love the cupcake design! Here is a luau party guide with a ton of ideas...just run them by your dd to choose which ones to use, like the games and food ideas:

Luau Party Ideas

cjzmom
by on May. 13, 2010 at 2:10 AM

Thank You all for your replies. These ideas will really help. At least now I have some thoughts and a plan in my head; that helps. lol

at the beach

heyyou38
by on May. 13, 2010 at 8:36 AM

where did u find those cup cakes at?   I would like to make those!!  to cute

greeneyedgrl88
by on May. 13, 2010 at 4:09 PM

I bought a cake similar to this one for my SIL when she turned 16 it was bigger than this one. We took chocolate and melted it and dipped a balloon it the chocolate and then over into coconut and put them on wax paper and froze them after they sat for an hour or so we popped the balloon and we had coconut shell ice cream bowls out of them.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)