Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Celebrations & Holidays Celebrations & Holidays

Goodie Bags for boys and girls

Posted by on Aug. 27, 2010 at 9:50 PM
  • 18 Replies

when you host a girls party - do you make special goodie bags for the boys, and vice versa?

In other words - if you host a princess party, would you make special favors for the boys, or would they have to get what the girls get, or would you make everything generic so it didn't matter?

If you hosted a Transformers party - would the reverse apply?

I've always presented special party favors for boys at my girls' parties, and likewise if any toddlers/babies were there and needed younger things, but most parties we attend that is not the case at all.

What do you do?

by on Aug. 27, 2010 at 9:50 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
amybeth31
by on Aug. 27, 2010 at 10:15 PM

I have noticed that most people make goody bags that are gender based for the kids. Personally, I have always added some different things to the boys and girls. I figured that the girls wouldn't like what my son and his friends would like. I think it is too expensive to do that though and if you can do all one gender it would save you money. Go figure, it is for my sons birthday and I always end up spending more on the girls but I think that is due mainly as girlish stuff tends to be higher.

nscr24x17x3
by on Aug. 27, 2010 at 11:11 PM

I always do the favors based on age and gender. there is always something different for the little kids,. something more age specific. as for the kids the same age as my daughter I do boy / girl. most things I put in can be both such as bubbles, glosticks, pencils, notepads. but there are a few things that are specific like hair clips for the girls or cars for the boys. just depends on what the theme is for the party , if it is something that can be both then the favors are all the same.

alexa_112
by Member on Aug. 27, 2010 at 11:34 PM

no will do neutral stuff because i dont want to be counting how many boys and girls etc and we dont do rsvp so i wouldnt know how many boys babies or girls i expect about 50-60 kids so thats too much for me.... if i was expecting maybe 10-15 and i was sure they were coming then i would do stuff for boy, girls, babies =]

tyesmommy
by on Aug. 27, 2010 at 11:43 PM

hmmm i simi do gener neutral, kinda.......... bubble, crayons, rubber duckies, glow sticks, etc you get the picture than I may add rings or something for the girls......

and the babies wil;l get gerber snacks, and maybe a rubber duckie

iansusie
by on Aug. 28, 2010 at 12:31 AM

I do generics like bubbles, play doh, maybe a kazoo, some candy, themed shoe charms, rubber bracelets, tattoos/stickers, pencils/crayons, coloring books stuff like that BUT I have never had a 100% boyish party, well, maybe the star wars, my brother hosted back in Panama for my oldest, the girls got Hannah Montana Halloween buckets and the boys got Darth Vader bucket heads and light sabers (all bought on clearance after Halloween)... the rest of the parties have been pretty much gender neutral,

My oldest had

Elmo

Safari

Barney

Star Wars and Cars

Peter Pan

and we will be having Toy Story for his 6th birthday in December

My Youngest had

Sailboat/Sea party

Wall E

Mickey

ChloesMommy1216
by on Aug. 28, 2010 at 12:32 AM

I do gender specific... and age appropriateness.  But to me the biggest part of the party is the goodie bags so I spend almost 6 months gathering stuff for them.  The next party though is pretty easy, we are doing Dora's adventure in Candyland, so all the girls' goodie bags will be Dora and I am doing the boys' as Diego. 

kuntrygurll
by on Aug. 28, 2010 at 12:34 AM

I do gender/age. I just bought all of the favors for my son's party in a couple of weeks. We are doing it at the Gulfarium but the girls got girly things and the only boys are my son and possibly an almost 1 year old so they got age appropriate boy things lol. I have just always done it that way...

kgund02
by on Aug. 28, 2010 at 1:56 AM

I think that would depend on the age group. When kids are VERY young (as in around 2 years old) they don't have biases when it comes to gender. I took my son (who is almost 2) and his friend (who is 4) to McDonalds last week and got them both a Happy Meal. I got Jack a boy-toy and his friend a girl-toy. Jack's was a spider man action figure and hers was this little bobble head kitty. Jack was SOOO upset that HE didn't get a kitty. He kept trying to take hers and it made my afternoon completely nightmarish because his friend was too old to be into spiderman. She realizes she's a girl and wanted to play with the girly toy... so they spent the whole playdate fighting over this stupid 50 cent kitty.

The point I'm trying to make is that toddlers want to play with whatever appeals to them; it doesn't matter if it's pink, blue, sparkly or shoots stuff... so even if I were having a princess themed party for a 2 year old and inviting a bunch of 2 year old friends... they would be getting the princess favors because chances are they will really enjoy the toys inside, regardless of color or the gender the product was directed towards.

Now, if you're child is older... let's say preschool to gradeschool... kids are more gender bias, a lot of which is instilled by their parents. If you make favor bags for kids at a birthday party, chances are that if the girls get a toy PINK cel phone and the boys get a BLUE water pistol... they're not going to fight over one anothers toys. I, for one, love matching the favor bags to the party theme but I will alter one or two things depending on gender.

My son's 2nd birthday party is on October 2. We're doing a Phineas and Ferb themed party and the favor bags are SECRET AGENT SPY KITS. Everyone is getting P&F gummies, secret agent hats, sunglasses, temporary tattoos... but the BOYS are getting fake mustaches and the GIRLS are getting lipgloss (safe to say they're not going to fight over these items and enjoy the one they get) and they're all getting a notebook... blue for boys and pink for girls (once again, they're all getting a NOTEBOOK, just different colors... which is more to appease the adults at the party rather than the kids).

I hope this helps! Good luck!

Kellie

tricia1332
by Member on Aug. 28, 2010 at 4:27 AM

when I make the goody bags for my kids birthday parties I have a some basics that all goody bags get then I add gender specific things in each of the bags

chrarrington18
by on Aug. 28, 2010 at 8:12 AM
when I do goodie bags I do gender based. I don't do age based cause I just put things in that are appropate for the bday kids age. If the theme my son choose doesn't have things for girls or a partner match I opt for princess stuff. Last year we did spiderman and the girls got a princess tiana cup stickers and the other stuff that could be for both. The boys or spiderman cup stickers and the other stuff.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)