Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Celebrations & Holidays Celebrations & Holidays

no birthday for my baby boy :(

Posted by on Nov. 8, 2007 at 5:34 PM
  • 21 Replies
ok does this make me the worst mommy in the world??  my little boy will be 2 mid dec ..and we just moved to texas a couple of months ago..so my husband and i talked about it and he says lets NOT have his 2nd birthday party...his thing is we dont know that many kids to invite (due to the time of his party, right there at christmas).  i have been planning his party (nothing set, just ideas and lists and stuff) for months now.  but now he just wants to have a cake and presents and maybe take Brandon to Chuck E Cheese for his b-day, just the 3 of us...

because im not fighting him about it, does this make me a bad mommy..i mean i want to have him a party, but i understand his side too, no point in spending 100+ dollars or more for  a party and then no one show up??!!

what to do?????
by on Nov. 8, 2007 at 5:34 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
rosemagic01
by on Nov. 8, 2007 at 5:47 PM
invite others to chucky cheese with you! Dont make it a huge party make it know that your celebrating there and not footing the bill but any one is more than welcome to join you!!! I doubt any one knowing your situation would think twice about it.

Not a bad mommy and I understand your guilt you wanna go above and beyond but some times money SUCKS and yyou dont get a choice even if you really want one.
bigblueeyes
by on Nov. 8, 2007 at 5:48 PM
i'd say go ahead and throw a small one if you guys have met a few people and brandon has a couple little friends.....maybe nothing as "elaborate" as you might have otherwise gone......and even if you don't....that doesn't make you a bad mom.....plus he's young enough that most likely he won't remember it anyway......whatever you decide......just have fun and make the day all about him!
avas_mom
by on Nov. 8, 2007 at 9:45 PM

he's 2, he's not gonna care if he gets to dig into a piece of cake in front of 50 people or 2... just as long as he gets that cake :)

besides, what makes a 2yr old feel special? his mommy and daddy... and maybe some pancakes :)

browneyedmomof3
by on Nov. 8, 2007 at 9:51 PM
Quoting avas_mom:

he's 2, he's not gonna care if he gets to dig into a piece of cake in front of 50 people or 2... just as long as he gets that cake :)

besides, what makes a 2yr old feel special? his mommy and daddy... and maybe some pancakes :)

I agree, there is nothing wrong with a small celebration with just the 3 of you. Besides, you are still celebrating.
soccermom184
by on Nov. 8, 2007 at 9:52 PM
Don't feel bad.  My baby is turning two on NOv.17 and we are just having a few relatives over for a Thanksgiving supper.  I making it special for him by having  his favorite elmo on a cake and giving him some presents to open. 
jspsquared
by on Nov. 8, 2007 at 9:53 PM

Quoting browneyedmomof3:

Quoting avas_mom:

I agree, there is nothing wrong with a small celebration with just the 3 of you. Besides, you are still celebrating.
These ladies are right. Just because you are not inviting a bunch of other people doesn't mean you're not celebrating his birthday. Besides if you go to Chuck E. Cheese there will be other kids there for him to play with.

Mom to Parker and Phoebe

Wife to Jon

mommy22girls
by on Nov. 8, 2007 at 9:54 PM
There is no need to make it a huge celebration in my opinion.  If you make it a special time for him, that will be great for him.  Birthdays seem to be getting so big so early.  I like to keep things special and about the child and if he will be happy then that is great!  You are NOT a bad mother!!!
Jossaraf
by on Nov. 8, 2007 at 9:54 PM
Honestly, I don't think your son will even know the difference.  My son turned 5 back in April and this was the first year we didn't have a party for him.  There were a lot of other things going on at the same time so we took him to a really fun childrens museum and out to whatever restaurant he chose.  He had a blast and I don't think he missed not having a party.  I think if you make the day about him and do lots of fun things, he'll feel so happy and loved and that's all that matters.
weaverjunglemom
by on Nov. 8, 2007 at 9:56 PM
At 2 he won't know the difference and who knows it may be the best birthday ever with just a small family thing! Definitely less stressful!Only 2 of my 7rodd's friends showedup for her party this year and it was a great time, so I've decided to just have small things from now on, besides then we can do a better party without a huge amount of $!
phakzrd07
by on Nov. 9, 2007 at 12:22 PM
One year I tried to have a party for my daughters 3rd at Burger King  A long story, but I invited kids from the daycare and no-one showed up!  I am not a social person so I did not know any of the parents.  Also, the cake was still frozen.  I was so upset and hurt for her and felt soooo bad that maybe I did not plan it in time, etc.
She is 11 now and does NOT remember any of that!  All she remembers is going to Burger King and all of the Winne the Pooh stuff she got - from us!
At that age, any little deal you make, is a big deal to them!  Have it at home and buy a bunch of balloons and his most favorite toy, cake & ice cream!!  Then maybe, yes, go to Chuck E Cheese, he will only remeber that - not that it was only Mom and Dad, shoot, he may even prefer it because ALL of your attention will be on him!!!
When they are older is when they start feeling they need more! LOL!!
The simple things in life can mean so much!!

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)