Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Celebrations & Holidays Celebrations & Holidays

Cake Pops

Posted by on Jan. 11, 2012 at 7:22 PM
  • 13 Replies

My DD's birthday party is on Saturday and at the last minute I decided to make cake pops for the kids to take home. I've never made these before so any help would be appreciated!

Also, if I made them tomorrow should I freeze them in time for the party? I'm making the cakes and all the food so I need to plan and start ahead.

Thanks in advance!

by on Jan. 11, 2012 at 7:22 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
chinavic
by on Jan. 11, 2012 at 7:26 PM

If you do make them now yes for sure freeze anything you make. Saturday is a ways away and you don't want old stale goodies for your party. I don't have a recipe on hand for the cake pops but they are fun and good too!

flowerfunleah
by on Jan. 11, 2012 at 7:34 PM
1 mom liked this

Here's a great cake pop tutorial. A lot of people get those little cake pop maker machines at Bed Bath and Beyond but I like these better AND they taste better imo.They take a bit of time but i think that if you make them ahead of time, put the sticks in them, decorate, etc. I know personally that they will keep for at least two nights!

KenzieQsMommy
by on Jan. 11, 2012 at 8:03 PM

I'm worried about things not tasting as good because its prepared ahead and/or frozen. I have a drum cake and a guitar cake as well as microphone cupcakes, sandwich wheels and pigs in a blanket to make. Obviously the sandwiches and pigs will be done the day of the party but I hope everything else tastes great!

Quoting chinavic:

If you do make them now yes for sure freeze anything you make. Saturday is a ways away and you don't want old stale goodies for your party. I don't have a recipe on hand for the cake pops but they are fun and good too!

mylilprincesses
by on Jan. 11, 2012 at 8:25 PM

that is awesome! i have been interesting in making cake pops!

Quoting flowerfunleah:

Here's a great cake pop tutorial. A lot of people get those little cake pop maker machines at Bed Bath and Beyond but I like these better AND they taste better imo.They take a bit of time but i think that if you make them ahead of time, put the sticks in them, decorate, etc. I know personally that they will keep for at least two nights!

olivejuicebby
by on Jan. 11, 2012 at 8:29 PM
I love cake pops! Glad someone sent a tutorial your way... They seem pretty easy.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
NatesMomma312
by on Jan. 17, 2012 at 2:41 AM

I'm completely confused now... I had never heard of cake balls or cake pops until a few months ago when my boss at the time told me about them. I made cake balls once after finding out about them and when I googled them for different recipes I saw cake pops. So I of course thought they were just cake balls on sticks but then at Christmas my MIL brought what she called cake balls, which turned out to be not mixed with frosting like I made mine. Hers were more like donut holes coated with frosting and sprinkles. When we went to her house a couple hours later she showed me the cake pan and kit she had used to make them. So my sister had seen the pictures I had posted of the ones I made on FB and so she sends me a cake pop and donut hole maker. I went as far as calling a local Starbucks to see how which way their cake pops are made. The girl wasn't sure but said people say they are really moist, as did the reviews I read and one woman I know said the one she tried tasted raw. So that's leading me to think that the ones at Starbucks are mixed with frosting on the inside. So can cake pops be either one then?  

Nostalgia Electrics JFD-100 Cake Pop & Donut Hole Bakery

supermeof3
by on Jan. 17, 2012 at 12:07 PM

My Mom just gave me a "cake pop pan" for Christmas....to me, I feel  that is the "cheater" version of original cake pops (mixed w/ frosting) lol  

Quoting NatesMomma312:

I'm completely confused now... I had never heard of cake balls or cake pops until a few months ago when my boss at the time told me about them. I made cake balls once after finding out about them and when I googled them for different recipes I saw cake pops. So I of course thought they were just cake balls on sticks but then at Christmas my MIL brought what she called cake balls, which turned out to be not mixed with frosting like I made mine. Hers were more like donut holes coated with frosting and sprinkles. When we went to her house a couple hours later she showed me the cake pan and kit she had used to make them. So my sister had seen the pictures I had posted of the ones I made on FB and so she sends me a cake pop and donut hole maker. I went as far as calling a local Starbucks to see how which way their cake pops are made. The girl wasn't sure but said people say they are really moist, as did the reviews I read and one woman I know said the one she tried tasted raw. So that's leading me to think that the ones at Starbucks are mixed with frosting on the inside. So can cake pops be either one then?  

SassyWildflower
by on Jan. 17, 2012 at 12:46 PM

Love the cakepop maker! LOL I shall have one of those--Cheating or not, I bet they are lots of fun to make!!

NatesMomma312
by on Jan. 17, 2012 at 4:14 PM

My boyfriend bought me a brownie bar maker that was similar the the cake pop one I have but I returned it yesterday. It was a pain in the butt to take them out of the maker and I'd much rather just bake them in a regular pan and be done with it. I would probably return the cake pop maker as well but my sister bought it from Amazon. I really don't see it as a "cheater" version of original cake pops because they are 2 different products. Some people don't like the ones like I made before with the frosting mixed in because they think it's raw cake instead of moistened by the frosting. I was planning to do a trial run of cake balls using confetti cake mix mixed with vanilla frosting for my sons birthday. Now I want to use the same for a trial run using the cake pop maker. I think I will split the cake mix between one batch of cake balls and the rest I will make cupcakes with to,make original cake balls with. So we can decide if which one or both to make for his party. When I made the cake balls I used a whole tub of frosting but want to try using more this time to see if they will hold up, I would've preferred more frosting myself but everyone else loved them. I made chocolate with chocolate frosting and coated them with white chocolate coating.

Quoting supermeof3:

My Mom just gave me a "cake pop pan" for Christmas....to me, I feel  that is the "cheater" version of original cake pops (mixed w/ frosting) lol  

Quoting NatesMomma312:

NatesMomma312
by on Jan. 17, 2012 at 4:21 PM

They actually keep really well in the freezer. I made some around the begining of December and they are still in the freezer. It's nice because all you have to do is take how ever many you want out and let them defrost for an hour or so. My son loves them. I made my first batch a little on the bigger side and used toothpicks to dip them. Only a few came off when dipping them but that was an easy fix and I left the toothpicks in them to make it easier and more sanitary when taking them out of the bag in freezer.

Quoting KenzieQsMommy:

I'm worried about things not tasting as good because its prepared ahead and/or frozen. I have a drum cake and a guitar cake as well as microphone cupcakes, sandwich wheels and pigs in a blanket to make. Obviously the sandwiches and pigs will be done the day of the party but I hope everything else tastes great!

Quoting chinavic:

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

close Join now to connect to
other members!
Connect with Facebook or Sign Up Using Email

Already Joined? LOG IN