Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Celebrations & Holidays Celebrations & Holidays

Sweet Chocolate Cherry Bombs

Posted by on Feb. 2, 2012 at 4:19 PM
  • 10 Replies
1 mom liked this

Valentine's Day Dessert - Sweet Chocolate Cherry Bombs

Cordial Cherries remind me of childhood. Not that I ate a lot of them as a kid, but I sure wanted to. When I was in 4th grade, I attended a Christmas party with my group of friends. Everyone in attendance purchased one gift for the gift exchange. I honestly don't remember how we chose who got what gift, all I remember was being so jealous of the girl that got a box of cordial cherries and two big candy canes in her package. Oh, how I wished that were my gift. I received a beautiful glass jewelry box, which didn't thrill me in the moment, but I soon came to realize it was a wonderful gift. I held onto that box for many years. It always reminded me of my grade school friends. I'm sure had I gotten the box of sweets, as I had hoped all those years ago, I would not ever have given this a second thought. Isn't it funny what we remember?

My love of chocolates has grown even greater in my adulthood and I'm always trying to find new ways to create something fun. I have been seeing lots of cake pop recipes floating around the web this Valentine's Day and it got me thinking about other things to do with the gooey cake/frosting mixture that is in the center of the pops. So with this thought swimming around in my head, I opened my refrigerator and out of the corner of my eye, I saw the flaming red of maraschino cherries and inspiration hit. Combine a cake pop recipe with a maraschino cherry and make it look like a big cordial cherry. YUM!

My Sweet Chocolate Cherry Bombs are coated in tempered pure chocolate and they are delicious. If you aren't comfortable tempering chocolate, you can simply use dark confectionery coating/candy melts. Click here for detailed instructions about melting chocolate/confectionery coating. I used a Pillsbury Devil's Food cake mix and blended it with Pillsbury Classic White Frosting. Change it up a bit if you'd like. Try using chocolate frosting blended with the chocolate cake or perhaps a white cake blended with vanilla frosting. That white version would actually look more similar to a cordial cherry once cut open. Any way you decide to make them, I'm sure they will be sweet!

Ingredients:
1 Pillsbury Devil's Food Cake Mix
1 1/4 cups water
1/2 cup vegetable oil
3 eggs
1 tub Pillsbury Classic White Frosting
50 Maraschino Cherries with stems
16 oz. tempered semi-sweet chocolate (or
dark confectionery coating/candy melts)

Special equipment needed:
2 - 8" or 9" cake pans or 1 - 13"x9" pan
no-stick cooking spray
hand held mixer
paper towels
parchment paper or non-stick foil
baking sheet

Instructions: Makes 50 Cherry Bombs

Preheat oven to 350 degrees. Prepare cake pan/s by spraying with no-stick cooking spray. Blend cake mix, water, oil, and eggs in a large mixing bowl until moistened. Using a hand held mixer , beat on medium speed for two minutes. Pour batter into prepared pan/s. Bake for 29-35 minutes (see package for specific times for each pan size). Cool cake completely.

Oxo 1055893 Good Grips Medium Cookie ScoopCrumble cooled cake into a large mixing bowl. Add frosting and mix until well combined. Scoop mixture out by the tablespoonful. I use a small ice cream scoop to make easy work of this task. Roll each scoop into a ball.

Drain maraschino cherries and pat dry with paper towels. Press one cherry into the center of each cake ball. Bring the cake mixture up and around the cherry. Roll in between your two hands to form a nice ball.

Melt and temper semi-sweet chocolate or melt confectionery coating/candy melts. Click here for detailed melting instructions. Dip cake covered cherries in chocolate. Set on a parchment paper lined baking sheet. Refrigerate if using tempered semi-sweet chocolate until set, about 10 minutes. If using dark candy melts, place you cherry bombs in the freezer until set, about 5 minutes. Bring to room temperature before serving.

by on Feb. 2, 2012 at 4:19 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
ArmyPrincess81
by on Feb. 2, 2012 at 5:16 PM

Looks delish

ಌ♥ಌ♥ಌ♥ Army Wife, Mommy to a Princess & a Prince ಌ♥ಌ♥ಌ♥

Love planning parties? Join us in Party Planning Mama's. Click here !

Dodie702
by on Feb. 2, 2012 at 6:13 PM
1 mom liked this
My mom would love these. She loves chocolate covered cherries.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
momofsixangels
by on Feb. 2, 2012 at 6:29 PM

My dh would love them! He can eat a whole box of choc. covered cherries in one sitting!

momof3ladies
by on Feb. 3, 2012 at 12:58 PM

HEAVEN!!!!

SassyWildflower
by on Feb. 3, 2012 at 1:01 PM
1 mom liked this

oh heck yes!! I have to try this. RIGHT up my ally!

kimijo1961
by on Jan. 12, 2013 at 6:02 PM

I love your recipe!!  How can I print it off  to save?  My wedding anniversay is Feb. 14th...32 years and I know my husband would really like theses.  Thanks...kimi

Alieda
by Bronze Member on Jan. 12, 2013 at 8:58 PM
Love love this recipe
Posted on the NEW CafeMom Mobile
mylilprincesses
by on Jan. 12, 2013 at 10:03 PM

Congrats!! this is not my recipe but one i found online.. you should just be able to go to the top of your page were it says file and print it straight off of this post. :)

Quoting kimijo1961:

I love your recipe!!  How can I print it off  to save?  My wedding anniversay is Feb. 14th...32 years and I know my husband would really like theses.  Thanks...kimi

Alieda
by Bronze Member on Jan. 13, 2013 at 5:24 PM
1 mom liked this
mylilprincesses ,my anniversary is Feb.14 too ,we have been married 38years.
Posted on the NEW CafeMom Mobile
awesomeamylynn
by on Jan. 15, 2013 at 12:03 AM
1 mom liked this

These look yummy! Maybe we will make some up for Valentine's Day. My kids and I luv trying out new recipes. Thanks for sharing.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)