Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Celebrations & Holidays Celebrations & Holidays

Mom with leap day birthday has baby on leap day

Posted by on Mar. 1, 2012 at 5:10 AM
  • 8 Replies

Mom with leap day birthday has baby on leap day

February 29th, 2012 by  | Permalink

A shared birthday every four years for mother and daughter. Via Google Images.

After 24 years of celebrating her birthday every four years, now Erica Austin has twice the reason to celebrate every time February 29th comes around.

The 24-year-old woman from Shorewood, IL gave birth to a baby girl, Arielle Blanchard on her “leap day” birthday at Edward Hospital in Naperville, IL. The baby was born at 1:08 p.m. and weighed 7 pounds, 6 ounces, measuring 19.25 inches long.

Just hours after giving birth, Austin joked, “It’s just different. … And I’ll stay young and my daughter will stay young.” 

On non-Leap Years, Austin usually celebrates her own birthday on Feb. 28, and her family often gives her gag gifts like Barbie dolls since she technically has only had as many birthdays as a person one fourth of her age.

Erica’s mother, Sandy Austin, recalls reporters coming out to cover the Leap Year birth, but getting called away to a bigger story when a funeral home right next door to the hospital caught fire.

Sandy Austin said, “She lost her day of fame so she’s having it now.”

Austin made the trip to the hospital several times, starting when she thought she was going into labor early Tuesday morning. Doctors finally decided that she should stay at around 2 a.m. Wednesday.

The doctors had already stated that they would not induce labor just to give the mother and daughter the same birthday. The doctor who delivered Arielle,  Dr. John Josupait, did say he was happy to see it worked out for the family.

Josupait said, “I’ve been doing this 20 years and I’ve never seen anything like it.”

The father, Aaron Blanchard, 27, said he is ecstatic to be a father and called her birth “a miracle.” He said, “It feels really good…I love her so much. I never knew I could feel this way but I do.”

Erica Austin agreed, saying, “I can’t even describe it…It’s the best feeling I’ve ever felt.”

by on Mar. 1, 2012 at 5:10 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-8):
chrarrington18
by on Mar. 1, 2012 at 7:07 AM
Aww happy bday. I share a bday with my son so I know the feeling behind shareing a bday with a child.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Dodie702
by on Mar. 1, 2012 at 9:09 AM
Awww! Cute! Happy birthday to Mama and baby. :)
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
supermeof3
by on Mar. 1, 2012 at 9:09 AM

Wow!  What were the chances of that happening?!

thatgirl70
by on Mar. 1, 2012 at 7:19 PM

That's pretty cool. :)

I once knew another mother who had both of her kids (a year apart) on Valentine's Day (no inductions there either).

ArmyPrincess81
by on Mar. 1, 2012 at 10:34 PM

Awww how sweet

ಌ♥ಌ♥ಌ♥ Army Wife, Mommy to a Princess & a Prince ಌ♥ಌ♥ಌ♥

Love planning parties? Join us in Party Planning Mama's. Click here !

SassyWildflower
by on Mar. 2, 2012 at 12:44 AM

thats pretty neat!

ZakkarysMom
by on Mar. 3, 2012 at 1:26 AM
Aww that's awesome! My bday falls on Mother's Day a lot! And my oldest DS and my youngest DS(out of 3 kids)..have birthdays a day apart. One bday is on October 6th(oldest DS) and the other bday is on October 4th(youngest DS).
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Jenni_Lynne71
by on Mar. 4, 2012 at 12:51 PM
My son, was born on leap day, 1996. He turned "4" this year. Lol. He was born by csection due to being breech.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)