Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Celebrations & Holidays Celebrations & Holidays

Ice Cream Parlor Party

Posted by on Apr. 15, 2012 at 9:58 PM
  • 11 Replies

DIY Ice-Cream Parlour "Make your own Sundaes" Buffet Concept for a Wedding or Party

Sep 01 2009

DIY Ice-Cream Parlour "Make your own Sundaes" Buffet

I am lactose intolerant. This probably explains my unhealthy obsession with ice-cream. My favourite dessert is nothing fancier or more sophisticated than a simple Ice-cream Sundae. Nothing satisfies my sweet palate more than vanilla ice-cream with hot fudge sauce, whipped cream, crushed nuts, caramelised banana, wafer biscuit and the all-important cherry on top!

Despite evidence to the contrary (what is with this crazy Melbourne weather?!), warmer months are just around the corner down here in Oz and I've got ice-cream on the brain! So I came up with a design concept for an old-fashioned Ice-cream Parlour "Make your own Sundaes" buffet with all the accoutrements. Read on for more pics, ideas and freebies to help you with your own ice-cream parlour buffet for your party, kids party or even wedding.

I absolutely love the idea of Make your own Sundaes for a party because it adds an element of creativity and fun to your event and is so easy to do. Guests have the thrill of customising their sundaes with a whole variety of colourful sugary toppings.

Here are the elements I've used in my Ice-Cream Parlour buffet concept:

ICE-CREAM AND WHIPPED CREAM

I've used a metal tub with ice to contain the ice-cream and whipped cream. Having someone serve these items may be quicker, easier and may avoid some added mess! I imagine in a wedding or large party context, having some form of refrigeration would be preferable but for a simpler, smaller party I'm sure a tub with ice would be sufficient.

OLD FASHIONED ICE-CREAM SUNDAE DISHES

At Wheel and Barrow I found these really beautiful old-fashioned pink hued ice-cream sundae dishes- Rather than use these for the sundaes themselves I've actually decided to use these for some of the toppings. I've limited the topping colour palette in these to white and pink to keep the aesthetic soft and light. I've used coconut covered Apricot Balls, Mints and mini Marshmallows.

WOODEN BOX CANDY DISPENSER WITH SCOOPS

I found this wooden box at The Works- Bed, Bath and Table. It was initially a very dark colour so I re-painted it white. I've used it to display some of the candy toppings. I've partially lined the interior with pink paper- partly for aesthetic purposes and partly to protect the food from the paint ( just to be on the safe side!) Candy within the box includes Rainbow Sprinkles, Milk bottles, Fruit Tingles and Shaved Coconut. I've deliberately used a soft, pastel colour scheme for the candy to tie in with the rest of the table. I've used metal scoops from The Works- Bed, Bath and Table for serving.

I also made little labels for the box. If you wish to make similar labels you need to download the Jane Austen free font from Dafont.

MARASCHINO CHERRIES

Got these from a deli at Prahran Market. How awesome are Maraschino Cherries? A must for every Sundae! They look gorgeous altogether with their stems standing up.

SAUCE TOPPINGS

Cottees have a limited edition Coconut Ice sauce which is a beautiful soft pink and fits perfectly with the colour scheme in my concept. Chocolate sauce is an absolute must! I've put them in little clear glass jugs but if you can find some really nice old-fashioned dispensers that would work exceptionally well! Other great topping ideas are Caramel, Strawberry, Passionfruit, Butterscotch, Hot Fudge (if you have the means to keep it warm). The more the merrier!

Free Download: Sauce, Jar and Straw Dispenser Labels

COOKIE JAR

Inside the big old-fashioned cookie jar, also found at Wheel and Barrow, I put crushed peanuts and almond flakes- would be great to put another metal scoop into this.

WAFERS IN STRAW DISPENSER

Yet another Wheel and Barrow purchase (I love this place!)- a straw dispenser is used to dispense Vanilla Wafers.

MERINGUES

I adore meringues! These were bought from Let Them Eat Cake. Some of their novelty cakes are so beautiful! Admittedly, sometimes I just go there to stare at them. I got the pink and the white ones and ended up incorporating them both. For the white meringues I placed them on a long rectanglular flat white dish which I lined with this beautiful pink padded paper found at Eckersleys.

OTHER TOPPING IDEAS

Chocolate buds, chocolate frogs, brownies, jelly beans, strawberries, fruit salad... any other ideas?

LABELS

I got these cute metal stands (below) from Chef's Hat and made these labels to accompany the toppings.

Free Download: Ice-Cream Parlour Label Template

Note:  These templates are editable. The editable font used is Ecuyer DAX, which I downloaded from Dafont. It is entirely an uppercase font so if you type without caps lock on, the font will be slightly smaller. Type in your own titles and print out onto white card.

PAPER CUPS

I looked everywhere for those short ice-cream paper cups you get in commercial ice-cream parlours but couldn't find them- other than for wholesale! Grr... So I ended up getting these standard 9 oz paper cups at Spotlight and I covered them with my own designs- an argyle pattern and a striped pattern.

These are available for free download below.

Each cup printout will use a fair bit of ink so I can't imagine using these for a large party. However, these would probably be ideal for smaller groups- especially kids parties. Alternatively, you may wish instead to use some elegant old-fashioned sundae dishes, like the ones I've used for the white candy toppings.

Free Download: Argyle Ice-Cream Paper Cup design

Note:  Print onto plain white paper. Wrap around cup and stick with glue or double sided tape. I've used a 9oz cup that looks to be a fairly standard size.

Free Download: Striped Ice-Cream Cup Design

MINI POPCORN CUP FOR SPOONS

I found some cute little pastel yellow and pink ice-cream plastic spoons at Spotlight. Little wooden paddles are also very cute and would work well. I've stored them inside this cute mini popcorn container which can be downloaded below.

Free Download: Mini Popcorn Container Template

Note: I've used a cast coated card , in pink and cream, which is fairly thick and has a beautiful gloss. I used the Lustralux brand found at Papyrus Design. This paper is not printable so firstly print out onto plain white paper, cut out the template with scalpel and trace around the edges onto the card. Use a scalpel to cut out. You will need a scallop edge scissors to cut along the top of the cup. I've used the Christine Re Chloe Scissors purchased from Rock, Paper, Scissors.

Free Download: Spoon Label and Main Sign

PADDLE STICK TOPPINGS LABELS

I got these jumbo paddle sticks from Riot Art and Craft and attached circular labels on them. These look great inside the old-fashioned sundae dishes.

Free Download: Paddle Stick Topping Labels

Note: These templates are editable. The editable font used is Ecuyer DAX, which I downloaded from Dafont. It is entirely an uppercase font so if you type without caps lock on, the font will be slightly smaller. Type in your own titles and print out. Cut around the edge with scissors or circle cutter and stick onto jumbo paddle stick with glue or double sided tape.

MORE GREAT IDEAS

With more time, money and resources I would have loved to have a canopy over the top of the buffet with the familiar pink and white ice-cream parlour awnings. This would have completed the buffet perfectly. Sigh....

Bon appetit!

by on Apr. 15, 2012 at 9:58 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
SassyWildflower
by on Apr. 15, 2012 at 10:03 PM

Very cute!

Love the vitage feel this gives off!

Dodie702
by on Apr. 16, 2012 at 10:45 AM

Quoting SassyWildflower:

Very cute!

Love the vitage feel this gives off!

Posted on CafeMom Mobile
chrarrington18
by on Apr. 16, 2012 at 11:16 AM
Cute idea. I like it for older kids though instead of the little ones.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
earthangel1967
by on Apr. 16, 2012 at 2:20 PM

icecreamJust DARLING!

YVONNE

supermeof3
by on Apr. 16, 2012 at 4:38 PM

I think I'm going w/ this theme...our oldest DD just turned 9 and our little guy just turned 2.  Their bdays are only 10 days apart.

ms.sophsmom
by on Apr. 16, 2012 at 4:43 PM
Omg its beautiful...
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Alejandra10
by on Apr. 17, 2012 at 12:21 AM
Love this it came handy right on time i will have my kids baptism this summer and instead of a candy buffet i will have an ice scream buffet
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
awesomeamylynn
by on Apr. 17, 2012 at 5:52 AM

Everything looks so fancy and fun. It is going to be a great party. i scream for icecream.

bee.awesome
by on Apr. 17, 2012 at 8:48 AM

Absolutely love this!

SassyWildflower
by on Apr. 17, 2012 at 9:17 AM

i bet that will turn out great!! Who doesn't love ice cream?! LOL

Quoting supermeof3:

I think I'm going w/ this theme...our oldest DD just turned 9 and our little guy just turned 2.  Their bdays are only 10 days apart.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)