Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Celebrations & Holidays Celebrations & Holidays

I'm still hesitant about picking a birthday theme for my son!

The party will be till Oct...  He is tunring 2

So I was thinking of something to do with exploring?

Dinosaurs

Jungle Theme

or an archaeologist theme??? 

Some how I want to incorporate everything lol

Any ideas?

by on May. 2, 2012 at 10:53 PM
Replies (11-20):
Dodie702
by on May. 3, 2012 at 10:24 AM

This is funny and cute!

Dinosaur Dig

If you have a sand pit burry some bones in advance (you can use dog treats) and give the kids plastic hand shovels and paint brushes to excavate them. As soon as they touch a bone with their hand shovel they then have to use the paintbrush to smooth away the sand in order to excavate it delicately.

For older kids make your own fossils by pressing plastic bugs into clay and leaving to harden in the sun. If you don't have a sand pit just burry them in buckets of sand. Just don't forget to make a note of how many you buried so you know when they've all been found.

Dinosaur Egg and Spoon Race

Turn a classic party game into one of your dinosaur party games. Just pick up a couple of pairs of kids dinosaur feet online and have them run dinosaur egg and spoon races in them to slow them down.

Hunt the Dinosaur Egg

No dinosaur party games would be complete without a dinosaur egg hunt. Check out this great tutorial that shows you how to make amazing dinosaur eggs by painting mini watermelons (below, by Debbie at Wants and Wishes). Once you've made them hide them around the garden and play hunt the dinosaur egg. For younger kids take a photo of the egg before hiding it and have each child look for a different coloured one by showing them the photo of it.

dinosaur party games dinosaur egg hunt

Create Your Own Fossils

Make your own fossils (below, by Preschool Rock) ahead of the party by following this step by step guide, then hide them all around the party for the kids to find. Have a competition to see who can find the most with a special prize for the winner. Even if they don't win, the kids will love cracking them open to find the dinosaurs inside.

dinosaur party games dinosaur dig

Cave Painting

Print off illustrations of different dinosaurs from the internet ahead of the party. On the day hang a roll of brown butcher's paper on the wall and draw some prehistoric scenery on it, i.e. rocks, palm trees, volcanoes etc. Then have each child colour in one of the dinosaur illustrations and arrange it on the 'cave wall'. Do this in a garden shed or a room where you can dim the lights and have them use a lantern to simulate being in a cave.

Whiplash

Check out this tutorial by Jessica from Running with Scissors for how to make these cute tie-on dinosaur tails. Arrange a number of dinosaur themed props of different weights (inflatable dinosaur, dinosaur egg, palm tree etc.) on a plank of wood propped up at each end on a few books. Then have the kids take turns to wear the tail and see how many of the objects they can knock off the plank in 30 seconds while blindfolded and whipping the tail at them—no hands allowed.

dinosaur party games dinosaur tail

Dinosaur Photo-Op

There are some cute dinosaur costumes available online. If you pick up one you could set up a little photo area at the party for each child to take turns dressing up in the dinosaur costume to have their picture taken. Have them peeking out from behind two tall plants or the bushes in your garden. You could print the photos off and let them take them home—or send them out with your thank you cards.

http://www.party-ideas-by-a-pro.com/dinosaur-party-games.html

Dodie702
by on May. 3, 2012 at 10:27 AM

chrarrington18
by on May. 3, 2012 at 10:55 AM
I would do a Sino party and when the kiddie pools go on sale get some and fill with sand and let the kids dig for dino bones. Nick has a show called Dino Dan and I am sure you can print some stuff off their web site along with dinosaur train on pbs kids. They also have things on their site.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Anniebel22
by on May. 3, 2012 at 11:18 AM
These are awesome ideas!
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
momofsixangels
Trial starts the 25th next month. Hope he gets life or death row
Yesterday at 10:42 PM
by on May. 3, 2012 at 11:48 AM

You could bury "fossils" in a and box for them to find

earthangel1967
by on May. 3, 2012 at 5:23 PM

When my son had a dinosaur party when he was a little boy I got a bunch of plain pillowcases at a thrift store and cut one corner off the closed end and used fabric paint to make animal print designs on them and let the kids wear them like caveman togas. They loved it.

YVONNE

earthangel1967
by on May. 3, 2012 at 5:26 PM

Another thing  I did at my sons dinosaur party when he was a little kid is something you may or may not want to do as some people may find it to be too much work or too gross but the kids LOVED it.... you can get a bunch of chicken NECKS at the grocery meat dept for really cheap, You boil the necks until thoroughly cooked and get all the meat off that you can, then you put the necks OVERNIGHT into a mop bucket of pure bleach, it gets all the rest of the meat off and bleaches the bones and sanitizes them as well. Then you rinse them in soapy water and rinse and then break them apart and and string them up on brown yarn several bones per necklace, make the necklaces big enough to just slide over the kids heads to wear with their animal print togas.

YVONNE

psychobilly_mom
by on May. 5, 2012 at 1:20 AM

WOW! such wonderful ideas!!!!! Thank you alll!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! it's clicked ;D 

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)