Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Celebrations & Holidays Celebrations & Holidays

1st birthday party - what to do??

Posted by on Jun. 16, 2012 at 12:04 AM
  • 7 Replies
For DD's first birthday party in two weeks, I have about 20 people coming over to my house to celebrate. Since she's so little, I was trying to keep it simple. Theme that she loves, decorations, homemade food and cake.

I hate hosting games and there won't be kids that are old enough to play games so I was hoping to skip that but my family is convinced that it's a bad idea to skip them and no one will have anything to do and they'll be bored. My idea was for them to come over, eat, converse and say happy birthday and that's it.

I've never been to a first birthday party. Do I have to do games? Is it traditional? Tips?
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
by on Jun. 16, 2012 at 12:04 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-7):
chrarrington18
by on Jun. 16, 2012 at 1:42 AM

The only games we play are musical chairs and pin the whatever on the thing. But my parties always have a verity of ages so the games work out for me. WHat is the age rage of the kids?

momofsixangels
by on Jun. 16, 2012 at 7:28 AM
I wouldnt really worry about games
Turtledoves
by on Jun. 16, 2012 at 8:43 AM
6m to almost three. Most are under one so there's not much they can do. My family is worried about the adults being bored, but I never heard of having games for adults at a 1st birthday party.

Quoting chrarrington18:

The only games we play are musical chairs and pin the whatever on the thing. But my parties always have a verity of ages so the games work out for me. WHat is the age rage of the kids?

Posted on CafeMom Mobile
kayelynnesmommy
by on Jun. 16, 2012 at 8:49 AM
We dont do games at parties for kids that small. The party is for kids the adults can entertain themselves as I see it.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
chrarrington18
by on Jun. 16, 2012 at 11:46 AM
In that case you don't need games. The adults can entertain themselves. They need to remember that the party is not for them its for the kids.

Quoting Turtledoves:

6m to almost three. Most are under one so there's not much they can do. My family is worried about the adults being bored, but I never heard of having games for adults at a 1st birthday party.

Quoting chrarrington18:

Posted on CafeMom Mobile
kavon
by Kaya on Jun. 16, 2012 at 10:11 PM
1 mom liked this

You can probably have a small ball pit and maybe a few stuff toys out for the under 1 set, crayons and coloring pages and maybe some playdough for the 3 year olds; once all the adults are acquainted with each other they should get along fine with just conversing......

Turtledoves
by on Jun. 18, 2012 at 9:34 AM
1 mom liked this
Thanks everyone!
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

close Join now to connect to
other members!
Connect with Facebook or Sign Up Using Email

Already Joined? LOG IN