Coffee cake is one of those incredibly versatile "dessert/breakfast" goodies.
You can bring it as a hostess gift, share it with friends at brunch,
serve it up with espresso after dinner, or even nosh on it as a luscious
midnight snack. Given just how many occasions it's good for and how
perfect it is to have one hangin' around in case you get unexpected
visitors or need something to bring to a get-together, how come we're
not baking them up more often?
One word: TIME! Who has the time to make a coffee cake that's as
yummy and pretty-looking as the professional ones at a bakery or grocery
store? Not me. Well, at least not before I spied a unique chocolate chip coffee cake recipe on Pinterest! This coffee cake has a secret that makes it incredibly quick and simple to bake ...
Drumroll please ... It's made with boxed pancake mix! What a genius timesaver. Check it out!
Chocolate Chip Coffee Cake (with a secret!) from TheCountryCook.net
2 1/2 cups pancake mix (mix that requires only adding water*)
1/3 cup sugar
1/2 cup mini semi-sweet chocolate chips
1/2 cup water
1/2 cup sour cream
1/2 teaspoon vanilla extract
1/4 cup sugar
1/2 teaspoon ground cinnamon
1/4 cup walnuts or pecans (optional)
For glaze (optional):
1/2 cup powdered sugar
1 tbsp. milk
1. Preheat oven to 375 F degrees. Spray an 8-inch square pan or dish with non-stick spray.
2. Combine pancake mix, sugar, and chocolate chips in medium bowl.
Then add water, sour cream, and vanilla. Mix until combined. Batter will
be very thick.
3. Using an ice cream scoop, shape dough into 9 (2-inch) dough balls. Place in 3 rows of 3 each in your prepared pan.
4. Combine 1/4 cup sugar, cinnamon, and nuts (if using) in a small bowl. Sprinkle mixture over dough.
5. Bake 24-26 minutes until golden brown.
6. Whisk together powdered sugar and milk in small bowl. Drizzle glaze over warm cake.
7. Allow cake to cool for just a few minutes. Serve warm.