Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Celebrations & Holidays Celebrations & Holidays

Cute Carnival Party- have any ideas to add?

Posted by on Jul. 19, 2012 at 7:22 AM
  • 5 Replies

If you've been around me for very long, you know that one of my favorite things in the whole wide world are kids birthday parties!

A dinner conversation topic MONTHS before our girl's actual birthdays are "what  theme do we want to do" for their special days.

We love to bake.  We love crafts.  We love people.
Birthday parties are such a fun way for all of this to come together.

This year Evie decided, upon a little persuasion from her big sister and I, do do a "Carnival Party".
(Side note:  She was really struggling about wanting a Hello Kitty Party after we saw the craptacky junk, cute stuff in the party aisle at Walmart.)
But way to go Evie.  Way to persevere with your crafty self and not make us do an entire theme around a white cat.

First up was making the cupcakes.

We got BOOKOOS of vintage supplies and cute ideas from my fancy smancy twin sister's Etsy shop.  (you can check out the link on the side page of my blog).
With the help of her little cupcake holders, we baked up some good ol' Duncan Hines cakes and then frosted them.  The girls had a lot of fun using their brand new craft scissors to cut the mini marshmallows into popcorn looking toppers.

Here is Evie brushing on a little yellow food coloring mixed with water.

And then Grace's turn.  Because every mom with more than one kid knows about the abso-freaking-lute importance of equality and fairness.

Because of all of the traveling we've been doing (which is why my blogging efforts have gone to the toilet), we made these ahead of time and froze them.

With a little help from some online searches, we totally stole Martha's idea for the invitations.  
www.marthastewart.com

These are Martha's.  Ours looked much more authentic and kid-like.

Then the countdown and fun began!
Grace got so into making posters for all of our activities.

And as if I don't need to beat a dead horse about this obnoxious summer weather, we decided to have the party mostly indoors because of the balmy 104 degree temperatures outside.  I am done sweating in places you don't need to sweat.  Boo.

From Dollar Tree, we found a balloon animal kit.  You guessed it.  A buck. I love cheap.  I meant, thrifty. 

Walmart has the "color your own" tablecloths as well.  Clever...

And see who we convinced to be our Balloon Animal Craftsmen?
Way to step up dads!

The sheer dedication to their trade.  I mean look at that face!
(FYI.  Stephen is one of my all time favorite people in the whole wide world.  He could have his own tv show and we would all watch and beg for more).

And as if this little cutie isn't the sweetest thing in the whole world, she might have loved the balloon animals the most.  

For those of you that might be reading who don't know me,
these are some of "That Ranch Girl's" besties.
Give them an Oriental Trading Company fake mustache and they are entertained for hours...

Gotta love a photo booth.  Silly is all over that business.

Have I mentioned my wonderfully artistic and type A oldest child?
Yep. 
She made a chart and everything to organize her face painting corner.
The little girls loved it.

After visiting and running around the house, it was time for dinner.
Or a visit to the "concession stand".
On the menu were hot dogs, a nacho bar, giant pickles, and fruit/veggie cups.

Thank you Aunt Lisa for sending us all of the cute containers!

Wanna know what the kid's favorite food item was?

Drumroll please.

Icecream?  No.
Cupcakes?  Nope.
Hotdogs?  Uh Uh.

The giant, sodium packed, ginormous, chilled sour pickles.

After our bellies were full, we braved the heat for a couple of games outside.
When I was a little girl, I remember playing the "pencil in the bottle" game.
Of course, we used old Coke bottles, but since those are hard to come by, I had to get two volunteers to drink some Bud Light which wasn't hard at all.

We tied a string attached to a pencil around our belts.  The kids then had a relay to go dip their pencil down into the bottle.
If you think it is funny watching the little ones do this, wait til you make adults try it.

Because I am so thoughtful, I didn't post any of those pictures.  (You are welcome, friends).

With Daddy's pairs of jeans, we had a sack, jean race.
Go Evie!  

After the M&;M counting contest and the coin toss, we had a prize (or we prefer to call it ppize) station for the kids.

This is where I realize we have WAY to much junk downstairs in my "gift" bins and we empty it out.  

Have I mentioned how much we love birthdays?

Such a fun day.  Hard to believe our little Evie girl turned five.

She will head off to kindergarten next month.  Her first day is on, you guessed it, my birthday.
There should be a law against that.

Photobucket
by on Jul. 19, 2012 at 7:22 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-5):
Dodie702
by on Jul. 19, 2012 at 10:31 AM
Very cute!
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
campingmomof4
by on Jul. 19, 2012 at 1:07 PM

Looks like everyone had a great time.

chrarrington18
by on Jul. 19, 2012 at 6:43 PM
What a great party. Happy birthday
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
momofsixangels
by on Jul. 19, 2012 at 6:44 PM

LOVE the cupcakes!!

kavon
by Kaya on Jul. 20, 2012 at 12:29 PM

So cute........love her writing style.....she had me cracking up....

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)