Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Celebrations & Holidays Celebrations & Holidays

Cooking/Baking W/ Kids?

Posted by on Sep. 13, 2012 at 6:35 PM
  • 11 Replies

boy kissing mombakinggirl giving flowerapron

Today 9/13 is Kids Take Over The Kitchen Day.

Did your parents or grandparents or someone special cook/bake with you when you were a kid?

Do you like to cook/bake with your kids?

How old are your kids and do they know how to cook/bake things for themselves?

SciFi and Fantasy Art Girl Reading - Animated by Priscila S. Santa Rosa YVONNE

by on Sep. 13, 2012 at 6:35 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
Dodie702
by on Sep. 13, 2012 at 7:42 PM
My kids love to bake with me. We make cupcakes, cookies, cakes. They are not old enough to bake by themselves.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
momofsixangels
by on Sep. 13, 2012 at 10:05 PM

My girls love to nake and cook with me.They can make eggs for themselves even my 9 year old

chrarrington18
by on Sep. 14, 2012 at 1:45 PM

my kids bake with me all th time. Its our bonding time too.

earthangel1967
by on Sep. 14, 2012 at 3:35 PM

My mom baked with me and my sister and also with my kids when we were growing up.

I baked and cooked with my kids, I am HUGE on teaching life skills early as possible. They did things like make their own cereal and sandwiches in early elementary and by middle school they took turns planning the weeks dinner menus and helping me grocery shop for it and guess the grocery bill as close as they could for budgeting skills and cooking those meals and cleaning up. They are all good cooks, all 3 girls and both boys too.

Also when she was 17 our oldest daughter got a job and paid her own way thru 3 levels of wilton cake decorating courses and is an awesome cake decorator besides she even did it for a living for awhile.

earthangel1967
by on Sep. 14, 2012 at 3:40 PM

For a little while when she was about 10 our oldest daughter wanted to be a baker when she grew up so she was a baker with chef hat etc for halloween and also asked for and had a baking birthday party and all the kids had chef hats and got to bake and decorate the cupcakes. It was cute.

earthangel1967
by on Sep. 14, 2012 at 3:41 PM

Our kids also had a play kitchen with tons of play food from the time they were toddlers and they spent a lot of time playing with it. They loved 'cooking and serving us and any company we had food" it was one their favorite toys for both our girls and our boys.

kavon
by Kaya on Sep. 14, 2012 at 9:38 PM

I actually started to cook since I was nine, loved to be in the kitchen with my mom......my dd is 5 and she loves helping me make pancakes and cupcakes; she pours the liquids for me and we hold the hand mixer together. For her birthday next year she wants a cooking party so i'm already in the gathering ideas stage for that.

supermeof3
by on Sep. 15, 2012 at 8:32 AM

Thanks for the idea!  My 7 yr old really wants to be a baker/chef too!   Maybe I'll run this idea by her ;)

Quoting earthangel1967:

For a little while when she was about 10 our oldest daughter wanted to be a baker when she grew up so she was a baker with chef hat etc for halloween and also asked for and had a baking birthday party and all the kids had chef hats and got to bake and decorate the cupcakes. It was cute.

earthangel1967
by on Sep. 15, 2012 at 2:53 PM

Quoting supermeof3:

Thanks for the idea!  My 7 yr old really wants to be a baker/chef too!   Maybe I'll run this idea by her ;)

Quoting earthangel1967:

My daughter and her friends loved it. They made those cupcakes that are in icecream cones and then they all sat at the table with lots of different kinds of frosting and icing and sprinkles and edible glitter and writing gels and each decorated their own to eat.

Also they made lollipops with those wilton candy melts in candy molds (cheap) and put lollipop sticks in them and its fun to paint the decorations with melted chocolate even if its a little messy, they set up and solidify quickly in the freezer too so they get quick gratification.

They all got to keep their chef hats which they loved too.

earthangel1967
by on Sep. 15, 2012 at 2:54 PM

Quoting supermeof3:

Quoting earthangel1967:

You never know too, bc Brittany was only 10 when she had that birthday and she grew up and ended up being a professional cake decorator for a living for a few years! : )

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)