Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Noooooo!!!! last minute venue search!

Posted by on Oct. 12, 2012 at 3:13 AM
  • 1 Replies

I had planned to have an indoor swimming pirate party for my DS for his 4th birthday. His swimming teacher is opening her own facility (rather than rent one) and said she would only charge me for the cost of the lifeguard.... except that the city is giving her problems with the permits so she has a VACANT pool and NO swimmers! so she said she could get the YMCA in my area to make a special exception for us and charge about $120 for a 2 hour party.... but they said it just isn't going to happen.

Usually, I take the party out of our area because if it's not in my family's area they won't come and we live an hour or more away. However, DS wants to invite his preschool friends! so I have been looking and I can't find ANYWHERE that is less than $400!!! I cannot afford that!! His birthday is Nov 8th and I've been planning his party for Nov 3rd!

We have a pool, but it's not heated and is outdoors. Plus, parking in my area is ridiculous. I checked the local parks- NONE have an indoor facility to rent and ALL outdoor covered areas are first come first serve!

I have already ordered the decorations, goody bags and made plans for the cake etc...

I KNOW he wants to have his friends at his party! I am -->this<-- close to saying forget it and buying MORE goody bag stuff to hand out to the kids at his school (I planned for 12 kids to come but there are 17 in his class) for a pizza party AT school and a simple cake and ice cream party at Grandma and Grandpa's house.

I HATE this! I love birthdays and want my kids to have fanstatic birthday parties, but this year his party is just NOT panning out! and we can't afford to do a big $400 + party nearby for his friends to come this year! Gas prices have KILLED us and BIL sucking down the groceries/air conditioning the world is not helping anything!

what would you do? what do you suggest?

I've looked at My Gym. The Little Gym. Castle Park. bowling (DH vetoed). parks in the area. other YMCA's. EVERY play place in the area. There's no way that DH will go early enough to get the covered area at the park near us, and our place is just too small for even a non-pool party with that many kids (and again, the parking sucks).

please help! Do you think that the little party AT his school + cake/ice cream at Grandma and Grandpas will be sufficient? will that be okay? His sister JUST had a big party in Aug- but that was her 1st birthday and only cost $100 (and was in our family's area).

am I over thinking this???

I just realized including ourselves with ONLY immediate family we are looking at 26 people for the "small" family party! That is ONLY aunts/uncles/grandparents/cousins (and then not all of them!) mostly adults. that's asking A LOT right?

by on Oct. 12, 2012 at 3:13 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-1):
kavon
by Kaya on Oct. 12, 2012 at 8:05 AM

This sort of happened to me last year, I was planning a Dora Candyland 4th birthday party for my dd, I had bought alot of stuff, then life happened we had to move, alot of financial issues with my job and it just wasn't as you said "panning out"; her bday is in August so it's vacation and usually her preschool camp went till end of July, last year her principal ran the camp to Aug 19th so I bought Pizzas and sodas for the kids lunch, had Ice cream and cake and did party bags for all the kids.........it worked out for the best all round......she was happy because she got to share her bday with her pre-school friends and I was happy she had lots of fun and was happy. 

You just have to go with the flow, I like your alternate plan for party at school and grandma's; I hope it all works out with win-win results for everybody:)

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)