Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Is 15 days before birthday too early for a party?

Posted by on Jan. 31, 2013 at 10:14 AM
  • 10 Replies

My son's birthday is not until the spring, but I am just trying to avoid having my husband take time off for a party since we have only one income, so I'm just thinking of dates right now.  My son's birthday is Sunday May 5.  I know a lot of people who go to church and want to avoid Sundays as parties as much as I can.  My husband has Saturday April 20 off and then the next Saturday off is not until May 11, the day before Mother's Day.  The 11th also happens to be my BIL's birthday, who would be pissed if we took the spotlight off him for even just two minutes so I'm not even about to try that.  Should we chance a party for May 5, hoping people will be willing to come between church services (it would not interfere with either morning or evening service), host it 15 days before his actual birthday, or just suffer and take some time off work so that we can do Saturday May 4?

BTW, my husband works 7-6 every day that he works, commute makes him gone 6:30-6:30.  Everyone I know, including me, puts their kids to bed before 8 or by 8 since our kids are still young so hosting it after he got off work wouldn't be an option.

by on Jan. 31, 2013 at 10:14 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
jamiegraham
by on Jan. 31, 2013 at 10:59 AM

I don't think it is to early.

mrspierce06
by on Jan. 31, 2013 at 11:38 AM

I say have the party whenever you can, its not too early if that is what works for your family.  I would still do something small for his actual bday.  For instance we will have my girls party a few days early so it will be on a Saturday but on their actual bday I'm going to have small cake ready for them just to celebrate the day itself.

PEEK05
by on Jan. 31, 2013 at 12:56 PM

Yeah we always do a dinner that is their favorite plus cake and ice cream and presents from us on their actual birthday if their party is not on their birthday.  This year, if his party is not done on his birthday, we might just take him to Chuck E Cheese to play on his birthday since dad will have it off regardless. :P

Quoting mrspierce06:

I say have the party whenever you can, its not too early if that is what works for your family.  I would still do something small for his actual bday.  For instance we will have my girls party a few days early so it will be on a Saturday but on their actual bday I'm going to have small cake ready for them just to celebrate the day itself.

aidensmomma508
by Wendy on Jan. 31, 2013 at 8:30 PM

I agree having the party early is fine

Mechelle01
by on Jan. 31, 2013 at 10:15 PM
Nope! Dd BFF bday is 10 days before Christmas! Her party is always the 1st weekend in December.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
KEISHAJB
by Silver Member on Feb. 3, 2013 at 1:02 PM

I would do it early as well. Dd #2's was born 12/16. I celebrated on her birthday last year, and it was chaos. II'd do it early this year. 

Supervane
by Member on Feb. 4, 2013 at 1:57 PM

I always prefer to do bday parties after the actuall birth date has passed. I say do it on a Sunday try for around lunch time so that you get a better outcome

PEEK05
by on Feb. 4, 2013 at 3:28 PM
Everybody's kids nap around lunchtime unfortunately.

Quoting Supervane:

I always prefer to do bday parties after the actuall birth date has passed. I say do it on a Sunday try for around lunch time so that you get a better outcome

Posted on the NEW CafeMom Mobile
tyfry7496
by on Feb. 6, 2013 at 10:29 PM
Nope. My son's bday is July 4th. I've had his party in May before. No one is ever around for the 4th so parties are difficult. In 16 years, he's had 2 friend parties.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
MommaTAF
Hippity Hoppity Easter's on it's way!! Happy Easter!!
Yesterday at 9:21 PM
by Bronze Member on Feb. 8, 2013 at 11:18 AM

My Daughter's Bday is May 4th!! We have had it at the end of April before because of family schedules etc. It's not too early at all. Too early would be 2 months or more ahead of time lol.

You do what's best for you! When I did an April bday for my daughter, on her actualy bday I made sure to make cupcakes and celebrate very small at home just us and she liked it fine.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)