Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Celebrations & Holidays Celebrations & Holidays

Need help planning Lego Party

Posted by on Mar. 11, 2014 at 2:23 PM
  • 5 Replies

My son is turning 6 and we're having a Lego party at a community center. They provide the legos, we provide the food.  The party is from 11-1 (last 15 min are clean up time).  So we have to serve lunch, but the lego activities go from 11-12:15. That leaves a half hour to eat lunch and cake before cleanup time.  I'm also afraid kids will get hungry early, but also don't want them to spoil their lunch on snacks.  So we're ordering pizza to arrive at 12:00 (they might not be done with legos yet but I want to allow time to eat).  But what if kids are hungry early? I have a 2 year old who usually eats at 11.  So, I was thinking of having strawberries and cheese and maybe also crackers as a snack (or is cheese and crackers too similar to pizza?).  Last year I had a veggie assortment with dip and no one ate it. Also, I don't want anything messy that they will get on the legos. If the legos are gone by 12:15, that only leaves 15 min for pizza and then 15 min for cake if we serve cake at 12:30. Then we have to start cleaning up at 12:45 and be out of there by 1. I'm a slow eater too.  But there is no refrigeration or any way to heat food so we can't really have anything besides pizza. For drinks I was thinking juice boxes for kids and water for adults, or should we have more choices?  For the cake we were going to have a plain white cake with a lego Star wars thing my son built on top. He wants Lego Star Wars napkins with Yoda on them, but the invitations say nothing about star wars.  I was going to have red, yellow, and blue plates for A lego colored theme, but that probably won't match the Yoda napkins.  Last year I had themed plates, but the adults didn't seem to want to eat off of kid plates. There is also going to be a pinata with candy which they might be eating right before lunch at the end of the lego playing.  The community center person said it's going to be free play with the legos. Do I need to plan activities with the legos? I thought they would do that, or do you think free play is fine? Help, I am not good at planning parties.  Plus a couple people have not rsvp'ed so I'm not sure how many plates etc. I need to get.

by on Mar. 11, 2014 at 2:23 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-5):
h7q3nx
by New Member on Mar. 14, 2014 at 10:52 PM

I would go with cheese and crackers or goldfish crackers-every kid loves them yet they aren't too filling to spoil the pizza.  Water and juice boxes should be fine-in all the parties I've been to, the adults almost always stick to water.  My boys don't play with Legos, but free play sounds fun!  As for the Yoda napkins not matching, you could always "designate" those strictly for the cake.  I don't think anyone is even going to notice.  By the way, you sound a lot like me when planning birthday parties-I don't like planning them because I don't quite know what I'm doing  confused

kavon
by Kaya on Mar. 15, 2014 at 8:17 AM
Free play is fine, once kids get together they have fun so no worries there. As for the yoda napkins sure it might not match but if your son likes and want it why not? What u have so far sounds good, stop doubting yourself just make your list search online for ideas from various blogs and catch my party take the simple and easy to do forget the ones that look like professional party planners did it, don't stress and have fun. GL

ffxmom70
by on Mar. 16, 2014 at 9:21 AM

Thanks for the ideas and the pep talk, ladies. :) The other thing is that we asked the community center lady if it's okay if siblings come.  She said there are only 12 favor bags, acted like legos are a choking hazard for younger kids, and that toddlers will destroy the stuff the other kids build. We already told one person they could bring the sibling. I don't really see a problem with extra kids showing up, but they're not going to provide extra favor bags. So then I went ahead and ordered stuff to make extra favor bags, which we'll only hand out if anyone doesn't get one, but they won't match the favor bags the place is providing.  The place has a 12 kid limit, but you can't tell people they can't bring extra kids. I feel like place should have offered to have extra favor bags or charge us for extra. 

Also, what if the kids just run wild? Do I go with the flow or try to get them interested in the legos?

LisaRaygbor
by Member on Mar. 24, 2014 at 1:25 AM

I recently attended a Lego party and would love to share few ideas with all of you: For Lego party decorations, stick to blue, red, yellow colors. Use yellow construction paper and draw minifigure faces on them and use them as hanging decorations. You can also make use Lego faces made with bricks and tie it using ribbons. You can use varied color construction cones and tie bouquet of balloons to each cone. This idea was fun and instantly gave a theme touch to the entire birthday decorations. For centre piece, use a sheer vase and fill it with colorful Lego bricks and if this party is for a girl, you may also some pink daisies in the vase. For tableware stick to red or yellow solid table colors and serve party food in primary color plates be it yellow, red. For party games, kids played ‘Hidden Lego Heads’ game wherein Lego heads print outs were hidden in the entire party area and kids had a fun time searching heads and the one who found maximum was given a prize. And how can I forget mentioning classic game, pin the Lego head on the Lego guy. Another game for lil guests was count how many Lego’s game. Fill a large bowl with colorful Lego bricks and let them guess.

ffxmom70
by on Mar. 27, 2014 at 9:03 PM

Thanks again for the responses. The party went pretty well. I had red, blue, and yellow napkins and plates, and also lego star wars napkins. We also had balloons and some cardboard lego star wars decorations since we weren't allowed to tape anything to the walls.  The lady that worked there gave out lanyards as awards that you could stick legos on. For food I had gold fish, strawberries and grapes, and a veggie tray, and pizza. For drinks we had juice boxes and water.  I don't think girls are as into legos but I think the boys had fun. The favors were mini figures.  

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

close Join now to connect to
other members!
Connect with Facebook or Sign Up Using Email

Already Joined? LOG IN