Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Celebrations & Holidays Celebrations & Holidays

What to serve with Hot Dogs and Hamburgers?

Posted by on Apr. 22, 2009 at 11:47 PM
  • 10 Replies

My daughters party will be at my house (havent had one at home for her since she was 2) and I am going to have hot dogs and hamburgers. Should I also have chicken nuggets in case some kids (all girls) dont like hot dogs and hamburgers? Also, what should I serve with them? I know a lot of kids dont eat salads like macaroni and pasta.

Lilypie 6th to 18th Ticker
by on Apr. 22, 2009 at 11:47 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
soccerchik8287
by on Apr. 22, 2009 at 11:54 PM

You could do chips and dip, a fruit tray, baked beans, chili, macaroni salad, baked beans, a tray with little peanut butter and jelly sandwich squares, or really just anything. You are already giving them a little variety having hot dogs AND hamburgers, just add a side or 2 and unless there are some super picky kids, everything should be fine! :) Have fun!

linzybindi
by on Apr. 23, 2009 at 1:20 AM

Cheesy Potatoes with crushed cornflakes on the top. I use shredded hash browns, cream of chicken soup, sour cream, shredded cheese and if you like some finely chopped onions or those french fried onions. Then I crush up cornflakes and put them on the top. It is a pretty easy recipe. Just mix it all in a casserole dish cook at 350 degrees for about 35-45 minutes. Depending on how done you want the cornflakes. This was a big hit at DS first birthday party.  

littlemama
by on Apr. 23, 2009 at 2:08 AM

I have done a mini salad bar, which most girls, especially at that age, like. You could have different veggies, toppings and dressings.

diana3d
by on Apr. 23, 2009 at 8:48 AM

Keep it simple. Remember they are their to play..( u WILL NOT  satisfy everyone).........LOLOLO .........chips with ur goody bags to go.

Have fun!

~~ diana ~~

SouthernMama08
by on Apr. 23, 2009 at 8:57 AM

My son had hotdogs at his party and we served Baked Beans and chips and dip.  Had to serve room for cake and icecream right?

jillmw
by on Apr. 23, 2009 at 8:58 AM

We did hot dogs and hamburgers for DD's party and I ordered a pan of baked beans and a pan of maccaroni and cheese.  For appetizers, which I left out during lunch, I made a veggie tray, taco dip, bread dipand chicken wing dip.  I had enought variety that there was something for everyone. 

luvlavender
by on Apr. 23, 2009 at 10:02 AM

I agree with the poster who said the kids are really more interested in playing together than the food. You do not need to add chicken nuggets to the menu. I suggest adding bowls of pretzels and goldfish crackers....forget about lots of  "adult" type side dishes. For more info on planning the party food you could look through this article I found online:

Planning the Party Food

good luck

My current fave website for free kids party ideas is: Fun Kids Party Ideas.com

Little_bug
by on Apr. 23, 2009 at 1:13 PM

don't make the nuggets too.  Just go with hot dogs and hamburgers, potato salad, baked beans, grill up some corn.  If the kids don't like it let their parents deal with that.  I would toss out chips and dip and a veggie tray and goldfish too.

ShenaLB
by on Apr. 24, 2009 at 1:06 AM

I wouldn't do all that.  But I usually get way stressed out by trying to do too much and that's a bad thing! 

I would just do the hot dogs/hamburgers (make sure you have your mustard, ketchup and relish) and I would either buy a few larger bags of chips or buy a bunch of the small lunch size chips and let each kid pick which one they want. 

Trust me:  No one will walk away from the party thinking that you didn't have the right food or the kind of food one kid liked or didn't like!  Make it easy on yourself!!

Good luck and Have FUN!

sahm97.gif Proud SAHM image by sweetp97024      policeofficerwife2.gif Wife of Police Officer image by rebeldispatcher    

shot.gif I Choose To Vaccinate image by TerriBC    Proud Mom of Girls 

pixelperfect
by on Apr. 24, 2009 at 11:15 AM

We have served hot dogs & hamburgers at several parties. We always serve sides like mac & cheese, potato salad, fruit salad, a veggie tray, chips/pretzels & dip and a cheese & cracker tray. We always have kids there from babies up to teenagers, and everyone has always found something that they liked this way! I wouldn't worry about the chicken nuggets.

Karyn :o)

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

close Join now to connect to
other members!
Connect with Facebook or Sign Up Using Email

Already Joined? LOG IN