Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Celebrations & Holidays Celebrations & Holidays

Can't afford her party....suggestions???

Posted by on Sep. 17, 2009 at 5:04 PM
  • 37 Replies

My daughter is turning 5 the end of october. She is already talking about her party. The last years i have been able to have these partys with 60+ people for her. Money is really really tight this year. I can't do for her what i've done in the past and I've had to cut her invite list. I've got it down to about 40 people 10 of which are kids under 10. Previoulsly we've done chuck-e-cheese.

Does anybody have any ideas for parties that are more cost efficient?

by on Sep. 17, 2009 at 5:04 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
lanceandhailey
by on Sep. 17, 2009 at 5:06 PM

Have it at a park with just cake and presents (balloons are cheap)...The park will entertain the kids.

Or just at your house with cake and presents

auroragold
by on Sep. 17, 2009 at 5:08 PM

HOLY COW!!!!!!!!!surprised  That's a whole lotta people for a kid's party! WOW!

Somewhere along the line I learned a good "rule of thumb" that we've stuck with over the years and it has worked.   The number of party guests should be equal to the child's age.  Of course I don't count the parents who stay....and sometimes there's family too but no where NEAR 60 people or even 40.   I think in the 8 years I've been doing parties the most we've had is 15 and that is INCLUDING parents who stay.

Since only 10 are kids her age - can't you cut it down even more? People MUST understand..........

p.s Oh and I've always only done at home parties....much cheaper

lanceandhailey
by on Sep. 17, 2009 at 5:10 PM

Quoting auroragold:

HOLY COW!!!!!!!!!surprised  That's a whole lotta people for a kid's party! WOW!

Somewhere along the line I learned a good "rule of thumb" that we've stuck with over the years and it has worked.   The number of party guests should be equal to the child's age.  Of course I don't count the parents who stay....and sometimes there's family too but no where NEAR 60 people or even 40.   I think in the 8 years I've been doing parties the most we've had is 15 and that is INCLUDING parents who stay.

Since only 10 are kids her age - can't you cut it down even more? People MUST understand..........

p.s Oh and I've always only done at home parties....much cheaper

We usually have around 40 people at birthday parties lol this includes family, friends and our friends that the kids see on a regular basis...

j45505
by on Sep. 17, 2009 at 5:14 PM

Wow! I have 3 kids and even way back when I only had one and had more money did I ever invite that many people or spend that much. Not knocking you I'm just amazed. Anyway. The poster who suggested a park was right on especially at that age. Have it a a local park with a good play ground and hopefully picnic tables and or shelter house near by. Cup cakes make them at home. Let her help if she wants this alone will be fun to her and will save you a ton! Cut the invite list at least in half again if not more. Do cheap food especially since it's at the park. Dogs and burgers, chips, juice $1.99 by the gallon if you need more tips just PM me.  

Help bring a beary bright smile to a cafemom kid this Christmas. http://www.cafemom.com/group/poorchristmas

auroragold
by on Sep. 17, 2009 at 5:15 PM

Oh - and what part of the country do you live in? Cause I know an outdoor party at the end of October in my neck of the woods would be rather chilly if not downright cold! 

Izabellasmom
by on Sep. 17, 2009 at 5:22 PM

Im in Arizona......its perfect outside that time of year for a park but the problem seems to be that if you want a good clean park you have to reserve a spot a great deal in advance.

I've always kind of been givin a hard time about the amount of people invited, haha.....my ex husband used to give me hell for it. But the problem is that that number doesnt even include aunts and uncles. I've cut it down to immediate family, grandparents and the friends that we have that have kids tht are a part of her everyday life. I'm not even inviting her friends from her school. I thought about just doing a party at our house with cheap $5 little ceasars pizza(they are crap but i dont even care) and some snacks and decorations.

IzzieNorahsmom
by on Sep. 17, 2009 at 5:23 PM

We always keep it small and I pick a theme and buy way in advance like my 2year old just had her party it was luau themed and I bought everything at the dollar store and on clearance at walmart.

We also had it at a park. Check your local Dollar store if you have one they are starting to carry more and more party supplies.

Izabellasmom
by on Sep. 17, 2009 at 5:50 PM

I think i might be leaning towards a halloween themed party. Since her bday is just before. and i can use my parents halloween decorations.

wickedannabella
by on Sep. 17, 2009 at 5:53 PM

Oh honey, I feel you're pain!  You're in that wanting the moon and the stars for your child and disappointing them...which is worse?

Children are usually pretty resilient, especially at that age.

How about just a slumber party with a few of her best girls and a make-up session.  Have some of your girlfriends come over and do makeovers???  Or a baking party?  Where you make the cupcakes they eat.  It can be a lot of fun that way!

Good luck!

I

Rushn311
by on Sep. 17, 2009 at 6:19 PM

That IS a lot of people. I don't know where you are living but is there a clubhouse you can rent out? They usually supply tables and chairs...you don't need to feed them dinner if you plan out the time right. You could totally go to the dollar store and get a butt load of halloween decor if that's what you are deciding on.

I had a Halloween bday party for my daughter last year at my house. I had 10 kids, drop off party, no parents and it was soooo much fun! I had music playing, I made cupcakes from a recipe I found online, we did Halloween BINGO, decorated pumpkins(small ones) and that was their goody bag. And we had a costume contest...kids ALL came dressed up! :)

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)