Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Genesis 1

1In the beginning God created heaven, and earth.

2And the earth was void and empty, and darkness was upon the face of the deep; and the spirit of God moved over the waters.

3And God said: Be light made. And light was made.

4And God saw the light that it was good; and he divided the light from the darkness.

5And he called the light Day, and the darkness Night; and there was evening and morning one day.

6And God said: Let there be a firmament made amidst the waters: and let it divide the waters from the waters.

7And God made a firmament, and divided the waters that were under the firmament, from those that were above the firmament, and it was so.

8And God called the firmament, Heaven; and the evening and morning were the second day.

9God also said: Let the waters that are under the heaven, be gathered together into one place: and let the dry land appear. And it was so done.

10And God called the dry land, Earth; and the gathering together of the waters, he called Seas. And God saw that it was good.

11And he said: Let the earth bring forth the green herb, and such as may seed, and the fruit tree yielding fruit after its kind, which may have seed in itself upon the earth. And it was so done.

12And the earth brought forth the green herb, and such as yieldeth seed according to its kind, and the tree that beareth fruit having seed each one according to its kind. And God saw that it was good.

13And the evening and the morning were the third day.

14And God said: Let there be lights made in the firmament of heaven, to divide the day and the night, and let them be for signs, and for seasons, and for days and years:

15To shine in the firmament of heaven, and to give light upon the earth. And it was so done.

16And God made two great lights: a greater light to rule the day; and a lesser light to rule the night: and the stars.

17And he set them in the firmament of heaven to shine upon the earth.

18And to rule the day and the night, and to divide the light and the darkness. And God saw that it was good.

19And the evening and morning were the fourth day.

20God also said: Let the waters bring forth the creeping creature having life, and the fowl that may fly over the earth under the firmament of heaven.

21And God created the great whales, and every living and moving creature, which the waters brought forth, according to their kinds, and every winged fowl according to its kind. And God saw that it was good.

22And he blessed them, saying: Increase and multiply, and fill the waters of the sea: and let the birds be multiplied upon the earth.

23And the evening and morning were the fifth day.

24And God said: Let the earth bring forth the living creature in its kind, cattle and creeping things, and beasts of the earth, according to their kinds. And it was so done.

25And God made the beasts of the earth according to their kinds, and cattle, and every thing that creepeth on the earth after its kind. And God saw that it was good.

26And he said: Let us make man to our image and likeness: and let him have dominion over the fishes of the sea, and the fowls of the air, and the beasts, and the whole earth, and every creeping creature that moveth upon the earth.

27And God created man to his own image: to the image of God he created him: male and female he created them.

28And God blessed them, saying: Increase and multiply, and fill the earth, and subdue it, and rule over the fishes of the sea, and the fowls of the air, and all living creatures that move upon the earth.

29And God said: Behold I have given you every herb bearing seed upon the earth, and all trees that have in themselves seed of their own kind, to be your meat:

30And to all the beasts of the earth, and to every fowl of the air, and to all that move upon the earth, and wherein there is life, that they may have to feed upon. And it was so done.

31And God saw all the things that he had made, and they were very good. And the evening and morning were the sixth day.

by on Feb. 4, 2012 at 2:33 PM
Replies (51-58):
123Kathy
by sr debate team on Apr. 9, 2012 at 8:42 AM

Quoting mom2boyz01969:

Not a set up lol but didn't we have to know the difference between good and evil so we could in the end choose good for ourselves and our family? I have to read it again. It could change everything lol.

We have freedom of choice. I agree with that. To serve, and worship God has to happen or this person is set to torment.Do think God is being fair? I am hoping God's graces will saved everybody. Even this person decides not to worship God. The thought anybody will go to hell is more than I can't imagine.

Hell is made for fallen angels, not for people anyways.

123Kathy
by sr debate team on Apr. 9, 2012 at 9:10 AM

Quoting 123Kathy:

Quoting mom2boyz01969:

Not a set up lol but didn't we have to know the difference between good and evil so we could in the end choose good for ourselves and our family? I have to read it again. It could change everything lol

Isaiah 14:12-22 How art thou fallen from heaven, O Lucifer, son of the morning! how art thou cut down to the ground, which didst weaken the nations! For thou hast said in thine heart, I will ascend into heaven, I will exalt my throne above the stars of God: I will sit also upon the mount of the congregation, in the sides of the north: I will ascend above the heights of the clouds; I will be like the most High. Yet thou shalt be brought down to hell, to the sides of the pit. They that see thee shall narrowly look upon thee, and consider thee, saying, Is this the man that made the earth to tremble, that did shake kingdoms; That made the world as a wilderness, and destroyed the cities thereof; that opened not the house of his prisoners? All the kings of the nations, even all of them, lie in glory, every one in his own house. But thou art cast out of thy grave like an abominable branch, and as the raiment of those that are slain, thrust through with a sword, that go down to the stones of the pit; as a carcase trodden under feet. Thou shalt not be joined with them in burial, because thou hast destroyed thy land, and slain thy people: the seed of evildoers shall never be renowned. Prepare slaughter for his children for the iniquity of their fathers; that they do not rise, nor possess the land, nor fill the face of the world with cities. For I will rise up against them, saith the LORD of hosts, and cut off from Babylon the name, and remnant, and son, and nephew, saith the LORD.

Ezekiel 28:12-19 Son of man, take up a lamentation upon the king of Tyrus, and say unto him, Thus saith the Lord GOD; Thou sealest up the sum, full of wisdom, and perfect in beauty. Thou hast been in Eden the garden of God; every precious stone was thy covering, the sardius, topaz, and the diamond, the beryl, the onyx, and the jasper, the sapphire, the emerald, and the carbuncle, and gold: the workmanship of thy tabrets and of thy pipes was prepared in thee in the day that thou wast created. Thou art the anointed cherub that covereth; and I have set thee so: thou wast upon the holy mountain of God; thou hast walked up and down in the midst of the stones of fire. Thou wast perfect in thy ways from the day that thou wast created, till iniquity was found in thee. By the multitude of thy merchandise they have filled the midst of thee with violence, and thou hast sinned: therefore I will cast thee as profane out of the mountain of God: and I will destroy thee, O covering cherub, from the midst of the stones of fire. Thine heart was lifted up because of thy beauty, thou hast corrupted thy wisdom by reason of thy brightness: I will cast thee to the ground, I will lay thee before kings, that they may behold thee. Thou hast defiled thy sanctuaries by the multitude of thine iniquities, bmy the iniquity of thy traffic; therefore will I bring forth a fire from the midst of thee, it shall devour thee, and I will bring thee to ashes upon the earth in the sight of all them that behold thee. All they that know thee among the people shall be astonished at thee: thou shalt be a terror, and never shalt thou be any more.

It is Satan the Devil and other wicked spirits and their cronies who still rule and control this planet, that are mankind's worst enemies. Had not wicked spirits been around, men's egos would not be that dangerous. The Devil can in many ways be said to be mankind's arch-enemy.Kathy-I see the devil egg us on to do something wrong.

Remember, Satan is the accuser of the brethren. His desire; to see us defeated and destroyed!  Until Jesus' death and resurrection, it was Satan that had the power of death (Hebrews 2:14). But now the church, being loosed from the power of death and the grave, are likewise loosed from the power of Satan!  He has no dominion over the Church,  therefore his opposing counsel at the gate cannot stand.  As a prosecuting attorney, Satan has lost the closing argument!I am glad Jesus took care satan.Maybe if somebody decides to follow satan. This person could follw satan to the fire? Satan lives here on this earth.Satan doesn't live in hell, the pit.

NJMOMOF2
by able arguer on Apr. 10, 2012 at 11:39 AM

Man referred in the Hebrew to "mankind" not necessarily a man.   Let US create man in OUR image refers to God and the Angels. Man and woman were one, created at the same time and they are both a part of mankind. God did not, contrary to popular belief, take a rib from Adam to create Eve, the Hebrew refers to his side, not a rib, the word is side, meaning that a woman is an equal part of man, one side and the other. this denotes a separation of the being that was created into man and woman, ish and isha.  The biblical Hebrew has been changed in the Christian bible. poeple need to really understand that each bible changes the original language to suit themselves and the intent is thus changed as well.

Quoting 12hellokitty:

Quoting LilyofPhilly:

Next thing that stands out to me, is that line 26 says, "Let US make man in OUR image". It also says, "male and female, he created them", which indicates that man and woman were made at the same time.

It states man and woman as being created in the same day, not at the same time. 

123Kathy
by sr debate team on Apr. 17, 2012 at 8:59 AM

Quoting mom2boyz01969:

Just something that was brought up to me the other day... what if the Adam and Eve story was not the fall of man? What if it was all planned by GOD all along? I'm still pondering all this. GOD planned everything from beginning to end? That's amazingly awesome.

I have all this kids. When they were born. It was happiest time of my life. I really tried to discipline them all the time when they were little. I did everything I could do.

Than this past weekend. They came over for birthday party. UUGH, all of them were completely out control. They started trashing the house. I told my husband to make them stop!!! Silly string, cupcake all over, on purpose. They would not listen to me at all. I don't care they were having fun. We usually have all the parties at the park, because they don't listen at all. What I could do? They are all grow up now? I am going to talk to all of them before they come over again. I am going to set ground rules. Like don't trash the house. That I just cleaned for the party. Don't leave until you help me clean up too. It was eye opening experience. I didn't realize how rowdy they could be!

Do you think God could do better raising kids than me? I displined them. I spanked them when they ignored me. UUGH!

I just think God can't make anybody do anything if they don't want to do. That is my philosophy. God wants us love him, love ourselves, and love others. We are not robot at all. We are free do anything we really want too. We can trash the earth. We can hurt each other. We can steal, lie. All the things I tried teach my kids don't do.

Nikkijr
by on May. 12, 2012 at 1:09 AM
1 mom liked this

I would like to encourage all  who do this bible study to look deeper within the original language. You can do this with a Strongs concordinance or blue letter bible has this option on their website for free. Where it says, "God." It should say Elohim. Yahweh (the creator described in the bible) had made one creation before everything including the heavens and the earth and through him made the heavens and the earth. I am talking about his son Yahshua the Messiah before he was born as a man, killed and raised from the dead to sit back at the right hand of Yahweh.

To LilyofPhilly- I believe this chapter makes many good points.

One-is that Yahweh through his word and son (Yahshua) made the heavens and earth with everything with it.

Two- Is the fact that everything was created to reproduce everything in it's image :plants, trees, animals, and humans. So according to Yahweh's word; the Chicken came before the egg.

Three: We are all made into Yahweh's and Yahshua's image. That goes deeper than just physical looks as well. We were made in their likeness. As we read further in the book you will see what this means.

Four: Yahweh is so cool that he gave us (human creations), the job of caring for this wonderful world filled with animals and people. Our only jobs were to fill the earth with more people, and to take care of one another and every living creature within! That is pretty awesome to me.

Five: Death was not part of the plan and nothing had to fear for it's life in Yahweh's intent for this world. Even the animals ate herbs and trees, all of them.

Six: Notice that the day ended and began in darkness. First there was darkness and then Yahweh created light. That sets the time frame for days according to his word and testimony.

Glad to see you all are reading the bible. I do hope you pray to our creator no matter what you call him and ask him to reveal to you if this book is truly his testimony. He will answer and prove that it is or isn't. Peace be with you.

collectivecow
by Group Admin on Sep. 5, 2012 at 1:42 AM

Hebrew/English Translation with commentary: Words in red are differences.
I am not going to post Hebrew, since I realized when doing this, it takes hours.

In the beginning of God's creation of the heavens and the earth.

2. Now the earth was astonishingly empty, and darkness was on the face of the deep, and the spirit of God was hovering over the face of the water.

Commentary:
astonishingly empty: The Hebrew expression of astonishment and desolation, that a person wonders and is astonished at the emptiness therein

3. And God said, "Let there be light," and there was light.

4. And God saw the light that it was good, and God separated between the light and between the darkness.

Commentary:
And God saw the light that it was good, and God separated: He saw that it was good, and it was unseemly that [light] and darkness should serve in confusion; so He established for this one its boundary by day, and for that one its boundary by night.

5. And God called the light day, and the darkness He called night, and it was evening and it was morning, one day.

Commentary:
NOTE:
Where Jews get the idea that the Hebrew calendar begins in the evening

one day: According to the sequence of the language of the chapter, it should have been written, “the first day,” as it is written regarding the other days, “second, third, fourth.”

Why did Scripture write one? Because the Holy One was the only one in His world, for the angels were not created until the second day. [is understood as ‘the day of the only One’][Rabbah 3:8].

6. And God said, "Let there be an expanse in the midst of the water, and let it be a separation between water and water."

Commentary:
Let there be an expanse: Let the expanse be strengthened, for, although the heavens were created on the first day, they were still moist, and they solidified on the second [day] from the rebuke of the Holy One, when He said, “Let there be an expanse.”

This is what Scripture says [Job 26:11]: “The pillars of the heavens trembled” the entire first day, and on the second day: “They were astonished by His rebuke,” like a person who stands in astonishment because of the rebuke of the one who frightens him. [Genesis Rabbah 12:10]

7. And God made the expanse and it separated between the water that was below the expanse and the water that was above the expanse, and it was so.

Commentary:
above the expanse: It does not say, “on the expanse,” but “above the expanse,” because [the waters] are suspended in the air [Ps. 19:4].

Now why does it not say, “that it was good” on the second day?

Because the work involving the water was not completed until the third day, although He commenced it on the second day, and an unfinished thing is not in its fullness and its goodness; and on the third day, when He completed the work involving the water and He commenced and completed another work, He repeated therein “that it was good” twice:
- once for the completion of the work of the second day
- once for the completion of the work of that [third] day. [Rabbah 4:6]

8. And God called the expanse Heaven, and it was evening, and it was morning, a second day.

9. And God said, "Let the water that is beneath the heavens gather into one place, and let the dry land appear," and it was so.

Commentary:
Let the water…gather:
They were spread out over the surface of the entire earth, and He gathered them in the ocean, [the Mediterranean], which is the largest of all the seas. [Pirkei d’Rabbi Eliezer Rabbah 5:2]

10. And God called the dry land earth, and the gathering of the waters He called seas, and God saw that it was good.

11. And God said, "Let the earth sprout vegetation, seed yielding herbs and fruit trees producing fruit according to its kind in which its seed is found, on the earth," and it was so.

12. And the earth gave forth vegetation, seed yielding herbs according to its kind, and trees producing fruit, in which its seed is found, according to its kind, and God saw that it was good.

And it was evening, and it was morning, a third day.

14. And God said, "Let there be luminaries in the expanse of the heavens, to separate between the day and between the night, and they shall be for signs and for appointed seasons and for days and years.

Commentary:
Let there be luminaries: They were created on the first day, and on the fourth day, He commanded them to be suspended in the sky, and likewise, all the creations of heaven and earth were created on the first day, and each one was fixed in its proper place on the day that was decreed upon it. That is why it is written:“with the heavens (אֵת הַשָּׁמַיִם) to include their products,”and with the earth (וְאֵת הָאָרֶץ)," to include its products. — [Gen. Rabbah 1:14]

and for days: The sun serves for half a day, and the moon for half of it, so that you have a full day.

15. And they shall be for luminaries in the expanse of the heavens to shed light upon the earth." And it was so.

16. And God made the two great luminaries: the great luminary to rule the day and the lesser luminary to rule the night, and the stars.

Commentary:
the two great luminaries: They were created equal, but the moon was made smaller because it brought charges and said, “It is impossible for two kings to use the same crown.” [Chullin 60b] Rashi explains that this derash is based on the discrepancy of the two expressions, “the two great luminaries,” which intimates that the moon was a great luminary, and “the lesser luminary,” which intimates that the moon was smaller than the sun. To reconcile this difference, the Rabbis asserted that the moon was originally created equal to the sun, but, because of its complaint that the sun wielded the same power that it wielded, it was forced to relinquish that power.

and the stars: Because He diminished the moon, He increased its hosts, to appease it. [Rabbah 46:4]. The stars serve as the entourage of the moon. When it comes out, they accompany it and when it sets, they set [Rabbah]

17. And God placed them in the expanse of the heavens to shed light upon the earth.

18. And to rule over the day and over the night, and to separate between the light and between the darkness, and God saw that it was good.

19. And it was evening, and it was morning, a fourth day.

20. And God said, "Let the waters swarm a swarming of living creatures, and let fowl fly over the earth, across the expanse of the heavens."

21. And God created the great sea monsters, and every living creature that crawls, with which the waters swarmed, according to their kind, and every winged fowl, according to its kind, and God saw that it was good.

Commentary:
sea monsters: The great fish in the sea

22. And God blessed them, saying, "Be fruitful and multiply, and fill the waters of the seas, and let the fowl multiply upon the earth."

Commentary:
And…blessed them: Because [people] decimate them and hunt them and eat them, they required a blessing; and the beasts also required a blessing, but because the serpent was destined to be cursed, He did not bless them, lest he [the serpent] be included. [Rabbah 11:3]

23. And it was evening, and it was morning, a fifth day.

24. And God said, "Let the earth bring forth living creatures according to their kind, cattle and creeping things and the beasts of the earth according to their kind," and it was so.

Commentary:
Let the earth bring forth: That is what I explained [verse 14] that everything was created on the first [day], and they required only to be brought forth. [Tanchuma Buber, Bereishith]

25. And God made the beasts of the earth according to their kind and the cattle according to their kind, and all the creeping things of the ground according to their kind, and God saw that it was good.

Commentary:
And… made:
He fixed them in their complete form, and in their full stature. [Rosh Hashanah 11a, Chullin 60a]

26. And God said, "Let us make man in our image, after our likeness, and they shall rule over the fish of the sea and over the fowl of the heaven and over the animals and over all the earth and over all the creeping things that creep upon the earth."

Commentary:
Let us make man: From here we learn the humility of the Holy One. Since man was created in the likeness of the angels, and they would envy him, He consulted them. And when He judges kings, He consults with His Heavenly household, for so we find regarding Ahab, that Micah said to him

[I Kings 22:19]: “I saw the Lord seated on His throne, and all the host of heaven were standing by Him, on His right and on His left.”  Now do left or right apply to Him?! The passage means that these angels were standing on the right to defend, and the left to prosecute.

Likewise, [Dan. 4:14]: “By the decree of the destructive angels is the matter, and by the word of the holy ones is the edict.” Here too, He took counsel with His heavenly household. He said to them, “Among the heavenly beings, there are some in My likeness. If there are none in My likeness among the earthly beings, there will be envy among the creatures of the Creation.

Let us make man: Even though they [the angels] did not assist Him in His creation, scripture did not hesitate to teach proper conduct and the trait of humility, that a great person should consult with and receive permission from a smaller one. Had it been written: “I shall make man,” we would not have learned that He was speaking with His tribunal, but to Himself.

after our likeness: to understand and to discern.

and they shall rule over the fish: Heb. וְיִרְדּוּ This expression contains both the meaning of ruling and the meaning of subservience. If he merits, he rules over the beasts and over the cattle. If he does not merit, he becomes subservient to them, and the beast rules over him. [Rabbah 8:12]

27. And God created man in His image; in the image of God He created him; male and female He created them.

Commentary:
male and female He created them:
Yet further [2:21] Scripture states: “And He took one of his ribs, etc.” The Midrash Aggadah [Rabbah 8:1, Ber. 61a, Eruvin 18a] explains that He originally created him with two faces, and afterwards, He divided him. The simple meaning of the verse is that here Scripture informs you that they were both created on the sixth [day], but it does not explain to you how they were created, and it explains [that] to you elsewhere. — [Baraitha of the Thirty Two Methods]

28. And God blessed them, and God said to them, "Be fruitful and multiply and fill the earth and subdue it, and rule over the fish of the sea and over the fowl of the sky and over all the beasts that tread upon the earth.

29. And God said, "Behold, I have given you every seed bearing herb, which is upon the surface of the entire earth, and every tree that has seed bearing fruit; it will be yours for food.

30. And to all the beasts of the earth and to all the fowl of the heavens, and to everything that moves upon the earth, in which there is a living spirit, every green herb to eat," and it was so.

31. And God saw all that He had made, and behold it was very good, and it was evening and it was morning, the sixth day.

Clairwil
by able arguer on Sep. 6, 2012 at 5:51 PM
1 mom liked this
Quoting LilyofPhilly:

24And God said: Let the earth bring forth the living creature in its kind, cattle and creeping things, and beasts of the earth, according to their kinds. And it was so done.

25And God made the beasts of the earth according to their kinds, and cattle, and every thing that creepeth on the earth after its kind. And God saw that it was good.

26And he said: Let us make man to our image and likeness: and let him have dominion over the fishes of the sea, and the fowls of the air, and the beasts, and the whole earth, and every creeping creature that moveth upon the earth.

27And God created man to his own image: to the image of God he created him: male and female he created them.

In Genesis 1 it is clear that God created the animals before he created Adam.

123Kathy
by sr debate team on May. 16, 2013 at 2:22 PM

Quoting NJMOMOF2:

Man referred in the Hebrew to "mankind" not necessarily a man.   Let US create man in OUR image refers to God and the Angels. Man and woman were one, created at the same time and they are both a part of mankind. God did not, contrary to popular belief, take a rib from Adam to create Eve, the Hebrew refers to his side, not a rib, the word is side, meaning that a woman is an equal part of man, one side and the other. this denotes a separation of the being that was created into man and woman, ish and isha.  The biblical Hebrew has been changed in the Christian bible. poeple need to really understand that each bible changes the original language to suit themselves and the intent is thus changed as well. **Kathy-All  bible I read- Woman were made with Adam's rib.

I actually love to hear the uncut version about the creation story. It is more mind ever can fathom anyways. I only know how to make things from the creation. I can make anything from nothing at all.

Quoting 12hellokitty:

Quoting LilyofPhilly:

Next thing that stands out to me, is that line 26 says, "Let US make man in OUR image". It also says, "male and female, he created them", which indicates that man and woman were made at the same time.

It states man and woman as being created in the same day, not at the same time. 

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)