Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

1This is the book of the generation of Adam. In the day that God created man, he made him to the likeness of God.

2He created them male and female; and blessed them: and called their name Adam, in the day when they were created.

3And Adam lived a hundred and thirty years, and begot a son to his own image and likeness, and called his name Seth.

4And the days of Adam, after he begot Seth, were eight hundred years: and he begot sons and daughters.

5And all the time that Adam lived came to nine hundred and thirty years, and he died.

6Seth also lived a hundred and five years, and begot Enos.

7And Seth lived after he begot Enos, eight hundred and seven years, and begot sons and daughters.

8And all the days of Seth were nine hundred and twelve years, and he died.

9And Enos lived ninety years, and begot Cainan.

10After whose birth he lived eight hundred and fifteen years, and begot sons and daughters.

11And the days of Enos were nine hundred and five years, and he died.

12And Cainan lived seventy years, and begot Malaleel.

13And Cainan lived after he begot Malaleel, eight hundred forty years, and begot sons and daughters.

14And all the days of Cainan were nine hundred and ten years, and he died.

15And Malaleel lived sixty-five years, and begot Jared.

16And Malaleel lived after he begot Jared, eight hundred and thirty years, and begot sons and daughters.

17And all the days of Malaleel were eight hundred and ninety-five years, and he died.

18And Jared lived a hundred and sixty-two years, and begot Henoch.

19And Jared lived after he begot Henoch, eight hundred years, and begot sons and daughters.

20And all the days of Jared were nine hundred and sixty-two years, and he died.

21And Henoch lived sixty-five years, and begot Mathusala.

22And Henoch walked with God: and lived after he begot Mathusala, three hundred years, and begot sons and daughters.

23And all the days of Henoch were three hundred and sixty-five years.

24And he walked with God, and was seen no more: because God took him.

25And Mathusala lived a hundred and eighty-seven years, and begot Lamech.

26And Mathusala lived after he begot Lamech, seven hundred and eighty-two years, and begot sons and daughters.

27And all the days of Mathusala were nine hundred and sixty-nine years, and he died.

28And Lamech lived a hundred and eighty-two years, and begot a son.

29And he called his name Noe, saying: This same shall comfort us from the works and labours of our hands on the earth which the Lord hath cursed.

30And Lamech lived after he begot Noe, five hundred and ninety-five years, and he begot sons and daughters.

31And all the days of Lamech came to seven hundred and seventy-seven years, and he died. And Noe, when he was five hundred years old, begot Sem, Cham, and Japheth.

by on Mar. 6, 2012 at 12:22 PM
Replies (11-20):
Thriftchick
by on Mar. 7, 2012 at 12:22 PM
How do people know they weren't perfect geez if I believed in what people think I'd go crazy,lol
shsteele05
by on Mar. 7, 2012 at 12:29 PM
1 mom liked this

Because they ate of the fruit and were cast out of the garden. Only perfect beings could live in the Garden of Eden. That is how people know that Adam and Eve weren't perfect.

Since then Jesus Christ is to be believed as the only human to be perfect. And only believers feel that way. I believe that Christ has been the only human to be perfect throughout his life on Earth.

I don't believe everything that others think, however, it is important not to shut out ideas from others, because if you do that means you are unteachable because you have already made up your mind on a topic. Since I've seen you state a number of times that you are a student of the Bible, I would hope that you have opened your mind enough to allow the teachings you are receiving to sink in. Because, whether you like it or not, the things being taught to you are what other people THINK. They are expressing what they think in their lessons.

Please, don't be so close-minded that you miss out on learning opportunities. That would be extremely sad.

Sandy

Quoting Thriftchick:

How do people know they weren't perfect geez if I believed in what people think I'd go crazy,lol

Thriftchick
by on Mar. 7, 2012 at 3:49 PM

just like i said they  WERE perfect, they would of lived FOrever but when they sinned, death came,iperfections and a shorter life span, God says there days would be cut short, God is the one to go to really  .

shsteele05
by on Mar. 7, 2012 at 4:47 PM

Lily asked for the reason that Adam and Eve were able to bare so many children and live for soo long.

You answered, "They were perfect".

Meaning the reason the lived so long and bore so many children was because of their perfection.

Please reread the posts because that is how it came across. They did NOT live so long and bare so many children because they were previously perfect when in the Garden. We don't have the knowledge of how they considered time.

Don't fall over but I think MyMyohMy has a point that they were basing years by a lunar cycle instead of how we base years off of a solar cycle. This is highly probable, but still unknown.

Yes, Adam and Eve were perfect, but their perfected selfs are not the reason they lived so long and bore so many children.

Sandy

Quoting Thriftchick:

just like i said they  WERE perfect, they would of lived FOrever but when they sinned, death came,iperfections and a shorter life span, God says there days would be cut short, God is the one to go to really  .

123Kathy
by jr debate team on Mar. 7, 2012 at 7:42 PM
1 mom liked this

I never thought about like this. The earth was so unblemished in the beginning. Sin just only started showing  it is ugly face. Every year this world gets much older, and much corrupted.  How how much  everything changed in the last 100 years. Wow! The use the plastic, glass, pollution is unbelievable.

Quoting shsteele05:

Lily asked for the reason that Adam and Eve were able to bare so many children and live for soo long.

You answered, "They were perfect".

Meaning the reason the lived so long and bore so many children was because of their perfection.

Please reread the posts because that is how it came across. They did NOT live so long and bare so many children because they were previously perfect when in the Garden. We don't have the knowledge of how they considered time.

Don't fall over but I think MyMyohMy has a point that they were basing years by a lunar cycle instead of how we base years off of a solar cycle. This is highly probable, but still unknown.

Yes, Adam and Eve were perfect, but their perfected selfs are not the reason they lived so long and bore so many children.

Sandy

Quoting Thriftchick:

LilyofPhilly
by Advanced Athiest on Mar. 11, 2012 at 9:50 AM

Quoting MyMyOhMy:

In addition to exaggeration, there is the possibility of a change from a lunar calendar to a solar calendar. 35 (the average-ish life span) = 455 and 900 would be about 70.

Thank you for sharing this! It really clears things up. Do you have any more information to share about this? The fundamentalists that I know, like my father, think it's literally 900 solar years.

MyMyOhMy
by jr debate team on Mar. 11, 2012 at 11:21 AM
Quoting LilyofPhilly:
Quoting MyMyOhMy:

In addition to exaggeration, there is the possibility of a change from a lunar calendar to a solar calendar. 35 (the average-ish life span) = 455 and 900 would be about 70.

Thank you for sharing this! It really clears things up. Do you have any more information to share about this? The fundamentalists that I know, like my father, think it's literally 900 solar years.

Alas like a number of later biblical insights, it just isn't important to me any more. I do know that like a lot of people, the Jews had a lunar caledar and later went to a solar one, But I don't have details and the whole begat section is obviously padding added later to try and glue the early myths to later ones while lacking any concept of the actual time involved.

Since no one with a lick of sense takes it serviously and literalists are so whack as to be impenetrable to reason - there isn't any motivation. But if you find anything I wouldn't mind hearing it.

123Kathy
by jr debate team on May. 31, 2012 at 1:00 PM

Quoting shsteele05:

I'm going to have to side with Ash on this one. The fall made Adam and Eve imperfect beings, so no they were not perfect.

Biblical time frustrates me. I've done a lot of thinking about it and time really isn't explained as well as it is now. Where we have seconds, minutes, hours, etc. up to centuries, etc.

Back then it doesn't seem like they were too worried about keeping track of time, so really we don't know how long Adam and Eve were in the Garden, plus we don't know their method of time keeping. What if a year to them is three months to us? I'll admit it...we don't know!!

Though, I do think that if you compare how long someone lives today verses 100 years ago, it is very different. Imagine comparing today with 3000 years ago (maybe it has been done).

Just my thoughts.

Sandy

Kathy-I think it fasinating anybody actually wrote this down. How amazing that!

I just God in control again. Maybe he can control what everybody was doing. But God still have bigger goal in mind.

Quoting ashellbell:

No they weren't.

Quoting Thriftchick:

A & B: They were perfect

123Kathy
by jr debate team on May. 31, 2012 at 1:04 PM

In God's like ness. Wow! I think that is interesting. Yes we can see God. We can see people though.

<< John 13:35 >>

By this all men will know that you are my disciples, if you love one another."

I love this bible verse. Says so much how we should treat each others.

collectivecow
by Group Admin on Sep. 6, 2012 at 10:59 PM

Hebrew/English Translation with commentary: Words in red are differences.
I am not going to post Hebrew, since I realized when doing this, it takes hours.

1. This is the narrative of the generations of man; on the day that God created man, in the likeness of God He created him.

Commentary:
This is the narrative of the generations of man: Hebrew סֵפֶר. This is the narrative of the generations of man, and there are many Aggadic midrashim.

2. Male and female He created them, and He blessed them, and He named them man (Adam) on the day they were created.

3. And Adam lived one hundred and thirty years, and he begot in his likeness after his image, and he named him Seth.

4. And the days of Adam after he begot Seth were eight hundred years, and he begot sons and daughters.

5. And all the days of Adam that he lived were nine hundred and thirty years and he died.

6. And Seth lived one hundred and five years and he begot Enosh.

7. And Seth lived after he had begotten Enosh eight hundred and seven years, and he begot sons and daughters.

8. And all the days of Seth were nine hundred and twelve years, and he died.

9. And Enosh lived ninety years, and he begot Kenan.

10. And Enosh lived after he had begotten Kenan eight hundred and fifteen years, and he begot sons and daughters.

11. And all the days of Enosh were nine hundred and five years, and he died.

12. And Kenan lived seventy years and he begot Mahalalel.

13. And Kenan lived after he had begotten Mahalalel eight hundred and forty years, and he begot sons and daughters.

14. And all the days of Kenan were nine hundred and ten years, and he died.

15. And Mahalalel lived sixty five years, and he begot Jared.

16. And Mahalalel lived after he had begotten Jared eight hundred and thirty years, and he begot sons and daughters.

17. And all the days of Mahalalel were eight hundred and ninety five years, and he died.

18. And Jared lived a hundred and sixty two years, and he begot Enoch.

19. And Jared lived after he had begotten Enoch eight hundred years, and he begot sons and daughters.

20. And all the days of Jared were nine hundred and sixty two years and he died.

21. And Enoch lived sixty five years, and he begot Methuselah.

22. And Enoch walked with God after he had begotten Methuselah, three hundred years, and he begot sons and daughters.

23. And all the days of Enoch were three hundred and sixty five years.

24. And Enoch walked with God, and he was no longer, for God had taken him.

25. And Methuselah lived a hundred and eighty seven years, and he begot Lamech.

26. And Methuselah lived after he had begotten Lamech, seven hundred and eighty two years, and he begot sons and daughters.

27. And all the days of Methuselah were nine hundred and sixty nine years, and he died.

28. And Lamech lived a hundred and eighty two years, and he begot a son.

29. And he named him Noah, saying, "This one will give us rest from our work and from the toil of our hands from the ground, which the Lord has cursed."

30. And Lamech lived after he had begotten Noah, five hundred and ninety five years, and he begot sons and daughters.

31. And all the days of Lamech were seven hundred and seventy seven years, and he died.

32. And Noah was five hundred years old, and Noah begot Shem, Ham, and Japheth.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)