Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

15: Now when these things were done

Posted by on Sep. 17, 2012 at 5:06 PM
  • 5 Replies
  • 563 Total Views

Genesis 15

15 Now when these things were done, the word of the Lord came to Abram by a vision, saying: Fear not, Abram, I am thy protector, and thy reward exceeding great.

And Abram said: Lord God, what wilt thou give me? I shall go without children: and the son of the steward of my house is this Damascus Eliezer.

And Abram added: But to me thou hast not given seed: and lo my servant, born in my house, shall be my heir.

And immediately the word of the Lord came to him, saying: He shall not be thy heir: but he that shall come out of thy bowels, him shalt thou have for thy heir.

And he thought him forth abroad, and said to him: Look up to heaven and number the stars, if thou canst. And he said to him: So shall thy seed be.

Abram believed God, and it was reputed to him unto justice.

And he said to him: I am the Lord who brought thee out from Ur of the Chaldees, to gibe thee this land, and that thou mightest possess it.

But he said: Lord God, whereby may I know that I shall possess it?

And the Lord answered, and said: Take me a cow of three years old, and a she goat of three years, and a ram of three years, a turtle also, and a pigeon.

10 And he took all these, and divided them in the midst, and laid the two pieces of each one against the other; but the birds he divided not.

11 And the fowls came down upon carcasses, and Abram drove them away.

12 And when the sun was setting, a deep sleep fell upon Abram, and a great and darksome horror seized upon him.

13 And it was said unto him: Know thou beforehand that thy seed shall be a stranger in a land not their own, and they shall bring them under bondage, and afflict them four hundred years.

14 But I will judge the nation which they shall serve, and after this they shall come out with great substance.

15 And thou shalt go to thy fathers in peace, and be buried in a good old age.

16 But in the fourth generation they shall return hither: for as yet the iniquities of the Amorrhites are not at the full until this present time.

17 And when the sun was set, there arose a dark mist, and there appeared a smoking furnace and a lamp of fire passing between those divisions.

18 That day God made a covenant with Abram, saying: To thy seed will I give this land, from the river of Egypt even to the great river Euphrates.

19 The Cineans and Cenezites, the Cedmonites,

20 And the Hethites, and the Pherezites, the Raphaim also,

21 And the Amorrhites, and the Chanaanits, and the Gergesites, and the Jebusites.

by on Sep. 17, 2012 at 5:06 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-5):
123Kathy
by sr debate team on Sep. 25, 2012 at 6:18 PM

I like this chapter shows God a shield. Also God knows are children are a great reward to us.. He promise Abraham will have many children.

Just believe God was counted for righteousness too.

The dark days was going be 400 yrs. Abraham's children will serve  strangers. When they leave, after 400 years. They will leave with great substance too. I just know God knows  the beginning and end of every story too

I don't 100% get the verse 17. There seems so much picture language in the bible. Seems the list of tribes at the end of the chapter is a list of Abraham enemies too.

How God treats Abraham. Is our example a Father  with his son. The Father blessing his son. Also we like always know what is going down too.

Clairwil
by able arguer on Oct. 4, 2012 at 8:54 AM
Quoting collectivecow:

18 That day God made a covenant with Abram, saying: To thy seed will I give this land, from the river of Egypt even to the great river Euphrates.

That's quite a chunk of land:

Do you think it just for God to have given to one tribe land that was already inhabited by other tribes (eg Egypt) and that they had no claim to, other than God saying "Here, you can have their land, if you can take it."

Historically, do you think this promise has caused net good in the world, so far?

123Kathy
by sr debate team on Oct. 4, 2012 at 11:13 AM

Quoting Clairwil:

Quoting collectivecow:

Do you think it just for God to have given to one tribe land that was already inhabited by other tribes (eg Egypt) and that they had no claim to, other than God saying "Here, you can have their land, if you can take it."

Historically, do you think this promise has caused net good in the world, so far? I  don't know? I just know it is in God big plan

I never thought about this before. Thanks sharing :-)     God giving the Israelites this land is unbelievable. I just reread the verse 17. It is saying the Lord is going take  this land away from the other tribes. So Israel can have it. Even this was predicted before Abraham had any children.

Everyday I can see God in control all situtions. We are better off when we trust God to take care of us.

Clairwil
by able arguer on Oct. 4, 2012 at 11:50 AM
Quoting 123Kathy:
Quoting Clairwil:
Quoting collectivecow:

Historically, do you think this promise has caused net good in the world, so far? I  don't know? I just know it is in God big plan

I never thought about this before. Thanks sharing :-)     God giving the Israelites this land is unbelievable. I just reread the verse 17. It is saying the Lord is going take  this land away from the other tribes. So Israel can have it. Even this was predicted before Abraham had any children.

Everyday I can see God in control all situtions. We are better off when we trust God to take care of us.

But it hasn't happened yet, has it?

Indeed, I can't see any circumstances under which the United Nations would allow Israel to get away with conquering and keeping half of Egypt - land they've never ever historically settled.

When you say "We" are better off when we trust to God's plan, does that apply also to the Egyptians?

123Kathy
by sr debate team on Oct. 5, 2012 at 8:16 AM

Quoting Clairwil:

Quoting 123Kathy:
Quoting Clairwil:
Quoting collectivecow:

But it hasn't happened yet, has it?

Indeed, I can't see any circumstances under which the United Nations would allow Israel to get away with conquering and keeping half of Egypt - land they've never ever historically settled.

When you say "We" are better off when we trust to God's plan, does that apply also to the Egyptians?

You are 100% right about that. God's Plan Also includes Amorite, Hittites, Moabites. Maybe more tribes than this 3. I read God just send 1 angel before the Israelites after the flood to conquered and destroy this nation of people. They were not suppose take any spoil from them too.

If this tribes of people didn't worship,obey God. They were destroyed. Now the people that worship, and obey God. They  were bless. The fear of God was all aboard. Everybody really new about God's power and they decide rather worship there man made idols in the OT. Worshipping, sacrificing to there idols. Idols were only made from wood and stone. They decided they didn't want to worship the God of Israel.

This hard to understand how the innocent children had to pay the price of death because there parents doing wrongs

Currently, Muslims worshiping Allah. This the name of there God.

What God of Israel really thinks about people worshipping Allah right now? Seriously,    I don't have any ideas. Muslem's are center seems to do the right thing all the time. Muslim believe a man named Jesus came into this world too.

Seriously I have no idea. I don't see anybody setting out to really go against God. God suppose love the whole world anyways. Jesus died for the world. Even somebody doesn't know this, or not accept this. It still happen anyways. The sting of death is gone. There is no more death for anybody. We die, and we stand front of God to be judged. Everybody now it responsible for there own actions now.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)