Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

16 Now Sarai the wife of Abram

Posted by on Oct. 7, 2012 at 5:29 PM
  • 21 Replies
  • 1197 Total Views

Genesis 16

16 Now Sarai the wife of Abram, had brought forth no children; having a handmaid, an Egyptian, named Agar,

She said to her husband: Behold, the Lord hath restrained me from bearing: go in unto my handmaid, it may be I may have children of her at least. And when he agreed to her request,

She took Agar the Egyptian her handmaid, ten years after they first dwelt in the land of Chanaan, and gave her to her husband to wife.

And he went in to her. But she, perceiving that she was with child, despised her mistress.

And Sarai said to Abram: Thou dost unjustly with me: I gave my handmaid into thy bosom, and she perceiving herself to be with child, despiseth me. The Lord judge between me and thee.

And Abram made answer, and said to her: Behold thy handmaid is in thy own hand, use her its it pleaseth thee. And when Sarai afflicted her, she ran away.

And the angel of the Lord having found her, by a fountain of water in the wilderness, which is in the way to Sur in the desert,

He said to her: Agar, handmaid of Sarai, whence comest thou? and whither goest thou? And she answered: I flee from the face of Sarai, my mistress.

And the angel of the Lord said to her: Return to thy mistress, and humble thyself under her hand.

And again he said: I will multiply thy seed exceedingly, and it shall not be numbered for multitude.

And again: Behold, said he, thou art with child, and thou shalt bring forth a son: and thou shalt call his name Ismael, because the Lord hath heard thy affliction.

He shall be a wild man: his hand will be against all men, and all men's hands against him: and he shall pitch his tents over against all his brethren.

And she called the name of the Lord that spoke unto her: Thou the God who hast seen me. For she said: Verily here have I seen the hinder parts of him that seeth me.

Therefore she called that well, The well of him that liveth and seeth me. The same is between Cades and Bared.

And Agar brought forth a son to Abram: who called his name Ismael.

Abram was fourscore and six years old when Agar brought him forth Ismael.

by on Oct. 7, 2012 at 5:29 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
Mommy2BeAmy
by getting my feet wet on Nov. 30, 2012 at 7:09 PM
Collective cow is Christian?!
Posted on the NEW CafeMom Mobile
Mommy2BeAmy
by getting my feet wet on Nov. 30, 2012 at 7:26 PM
Hazrat Abraham had a dream to leave hajar in the desert with Ismail and he left her between al safa and marwa. Hajar ran to him and said why are you leaving us with little food or water? When Abraham didn't reply she asked has the all mighty instead instructed you to do so? And he replied Yes, so hajar said then he will not neglect us.

Hajar fed Ismail and ate of the fruits left until they were finished. She ran frantically between the mountains of al safa and marwa looking for water she saw an angel digging into the sand and behold itf was Gabriel! He brought forth the spring of zamzam with his hands. She drank from it, fed her by and sat

years later, Abraham returned to find Ismail there alone, hajar had died. He hugged his son. That night he had a dream of slaughtering his son Ismail at the neck. He told his son and the son asked has God instructed you to do so? Abraham replied Yes, and Ismail said you will find me patient God willing. So Ismail prostrated with his head to the ground and Abraham drew his sword and behold the heavens called out "lo Abraham! You have shown yourself a slave of God so take reward in this sheep and slaughter it and give in good tidings! So Abraham slaughtered the sheep and joined to feast with his son. The next morning Abraham awoke from a dream and told Ismail we must construct a building 80 cubits by 80 cubits by 80 cubits so they did so. Then Abraham upon completion went to the top and called everyone to worship the oneness of God.

Then all that is between the heavens and earth said:

la baik Allah huum ala baik. La baik allah huum ala baik. Inn alhamdaa wa an mataa laka wal mulk laaaa shareekala!

this holy water zamzam is available, the kaba built by abraham has been circled since it was built nonstop the slaughtering sacraficial sheep is done yearly.

May God bless us all ameen
collectivecow
by Group Admin on Feb. 16, 2013 at 5:59 PM
Quoting Mommy2BeAmy:

Not at all lol. I was just doing the updates for everyone with the group's chosen Biblical series.
Mommy2BeAmy
by getting my feet wet on Feb. 16, 2013 at 9:17 PM

aaah, ok!

Quoting collectivecow:

Quoting Mommy2BeAmy:

Not at all lol. I was just doing the updates for everyone with the group's chosen Biblical series.

soshite
by on Apr. 22, 2013 at 12:18 PM

Quoting Mommy2BeAmy:

Hazrat Abraham had a dream to leave hajar in the desert with Ismail and he left her between al safa and marwa. Hajar ran to him and said why are you leaving us with little food or water? When Abraham didn't reply she asked has the all mighty instead instructed you to do so? And he replied Yes, so hajar said then he will not neglect us.

Hajar fed Ismail and ate of the fruits left until they were finished. She ran frantically between the mountains of al safa and marwa looking for water she saw an angel digging into the sand and behold itf was Gabriel! He brought forth the spring of zamzam with his hands. She drank from it, fed her by and sat

years later, Abraham returned to find Ismail there alone, hajar had died. He hugged his son. That night he had a dream of slaughtering his son Ismail at the neck. He told his son and the son asked has God instructed you to do so? Abraham replied Yes, and Ismail said you will find me patient God willing. So Ismail prostrated with his head to the ground and Abraham drew his sword and behold the heavens called out "lo Abraham! You have shown yourself a slave of God so take reward in this sheep and slaughter it and give in good tidings! So Abraham slaughtered the sheep and joined to feast with his son. The next morning Abraham awoke from a dream and told Ismail we must construct a building 80 cubits by 80 cubits by 80 cubits so they did so. Then Abraham upon completion went to the top and called everyone to worship the oneness of God.

la baik Allah huum ala baik. La baik allah huum ala baik. Inn alhamdaa wa an mataa laka wal mulk laaaa shareekala!

this holy water zamzam is available, the kaba built by abraham has been circled since it was built nonstop the slaughtering sacraficial sheep is done yearly.

Salaam Walaykum. Al-hamdullillah

Islam is a nice religion.

Mommy2BeAmy
by getting my feet wet on Apr. 22, 2013 at 1:14 PM
Walaikum asalaam wa rahmatullah

Yes Alhamdullilah its beautiful religion

Quoting soshite:

Quoting Mommy2BeAmy:

Salaam Walaykum. Al-hamdullillah

Islam is a nice religion.

123Kathy
by jr debate team on Apr. 22, 2013 at 2:33 PM

Quoting collectivecow:

Quoting Mommy2BeAmy:

I often think about colletivecow. Knowing Jewish and Christian beliefs are so different. I am thinking  lately how much that idea is so true. The bible series on TV put all that in my face. It would to be so hard to come some agreement anyways. I can't relate to the OT or the 4 gospels anyways. I can see now this writing are gear to the Jewish nation anyways.

Jesus is King of the Jews  I know this idea is not shared at all too!  I am thinking King David is the supposedly the  King of the Jews, Right?

just1kasz
by getting my feet wet on Apr. 24, 2013 at 1:54 PM

This is in answer to Kathy 123.

Saul was the first king of the Israelites.  David was king after him.  After him there were other kings.  Then the nation split into two.  David's lineage remained kings in Judea.  David was king about a thousand years before Jesus's life and time. 

In order to be king of the Jewish nation, the man must be descended from David, and be selected by the Sanhedrin, then annointed to his task.  Jesus, supposedly of virgin birth is descended from no male, so he can not be of the lineage of David.

At the time Jesus lived, Rome ruled in the land of Israel and appointed whom ever they wanted as "king".  Jesus was not appointed by the Romans.
Further he was not selected by the Sanhedrin to be king.  He was not annointed.  So he was never the King of the Jews.  One of the qualifications of the Messiah (the Annointed) is that he will be appoiunted as King by the Sanhedrin (which is not in existence today).  So Jesus is neither King nor Messiah.

I am willing to answwer any questions you have about the Old Testament and how we Jews live according to it.  You can send me a message.

Kasz

https://www.facebook.com/TreeOfLifeWisdom

coronado25
by on May. 6, 2013 at 2:38 AM

Sarah was married to her brother from another mother.  She was considered old at the time that Abraham let her go King Aibmelech's palace.  Really, we know she just must've been a super hot 40 something...or maybe had some kind of weird mutation that made her skin never wrinkle and her breasts never droop...Why else would men always be wanting to get with her much to Abraham's dismaY?  Also, Why the hell did Abraham LET her go lay with another man eventually?  I think it was because he was smart enough to realize that he and his half sister might be having fertility issues due to their close kinship...and since he loved Sarah, truly, and knew she wanted a baby, that this would give her that opportunity.  

So Sarah goes and sleeps in the king's bed...during this time none of King Aibmelech's wives concieved.  After some months lolling about with the king, he decides he will send her back to Abraham and gives her a ton of riches, livestock and slaves to boot.  Oh my gosh, then amazing miracle...within the same year Sarah has a bouncing baby boy!  

They name him Isaac. When Isaac is 12, Abraham runs into King Aibmelech at a well. They have a huge dispute over the rights and use of this well.  After the argument Abraham attempts to burn Isaac alive, but changes his mind at the last minute.

Yep. It is all there. Isaac is King Aibmelech's son and no miracle from a supernatural entity.

bandgeek521
by able arguer on May. 6, 2013 at 9:33 AM
1 mom liked this

I like the idea that the characters, at least in the earlier sections of the OT, are eponyms, that is that they represent tribes, and may or may not have been actual people. It seems it would have been easier to remember tribal history if told as a narrative about some distant "ancestor" (who may or may not have really existed), as opposed to trying to remember hundreds of years. For example, Ishmael is believed to have had an Egyptian mother and an Egyptian wife ("and his mother took him a wife out of the land of Egypt" - second half of Gen 21:21), which does well to represent the geographical and political situations of the time in personal terms, and makes what appears to be an eponym. In the Bible we see mention of a tribe called Ishmaelites, and they are given secondary/subordinate importance to the authors of the texts, which can be shown by the extra-marital birth, so to speak. They are related to the Abrahamic tribes, by their "relationship" to Abraham, but are considered less significant because of the foreign "mother."

You can see this in other places, too - when a son tries to rise up and overthrow his father, often attempting to take his mother in the process, it most likely reflects tribal disturbances and acts of tribal war, as opposed to actual events between individual father and son - and begats usually list tribes according to level of power/importance/prominence. I've been reading Asimov's Guide to the Bible, and it talks about this in a way that I think makes very good sense. So if you read the political/historical/archaeological/etc, into this passage, I think it reflects more the relationship of the tribes than represents actual individuals.

Interesting, though, is that - and I don't know who knows this (most of the group, probably) and who doesn't, so that's why I'm sharing - Muslims trace their lineage to Abraham through Ishmael, and actually believe the Kaaba was built by the two. Whatever we believe about Islam and its teachings (and I actually have great respect for the faith), I do feel it is crazy that people deny the relationship that exists between Islam and the other two Abrahamic faiths, and it is interesting that the Ishmaelites, in the Bible, and what we can determine through historical study, were supposedly an Arabic tribe who lived on the border of the Arabian desert and the boundaries of Caanan who were considered to be related in some lesser sense than the other tribes we see spoken of in the Bible. Perhaps there was some ancient Abraham/Ishmael scenario which was expanded upon to represent the tribes as a whole. Or perhaps the whole thing is narrative showing the relationship between the two tribes, and in light of that, the relationship of the Ishmaelites with the other tribes at that time.

It is important to remember, as well, that the texts of the Bible were almost *all* written after the fact; that they are acronistic - the are not exactly accurate, as they are written much later and reflect the times in which they are written, which can be seen in many cases in the Bible. This could also explain why Ishmael is written the way he is, projecting later tribal relationships onto the individual by giving reason for his lesser status, so to speak.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)