Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Hi. I'm new to the group

Posted by on Oct. 29, 2009 at 5:48 PM
  • 4 Replies
  • 262 Total Views

My name is Jeneen and my son Marcus is 3 yrs old and has a speech delay and a developmental delay.  He started an inclusion pre-k program in August.  So far, so good.  I have an upcoming parent/teacher meeting to update me on his progress.  He also just started private speech therapy, but progress is slow.  He tries so hard to communicate to us, and we're very patient with him.  He says some words (mainly ma-ma, and da-da), other words are inconsistent.  I'm very hopeful that the words will come anyday now.  We'll see.

by on Oct. 29, 2009 at 5:48 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-4):
RyansMommy324
by on Oct. 29, 2009 at 9:30 PM

Welcome! I hope that your son will start talking too! Speech therapy can be slow, but keep an eye on it. It may take a few tries to find the right fit for your child. You will know when the therapist and your baby just click!!  Also, I assume that being around other kids will help him want to talk more too.  Hang in there, but if theres a communication gap, try signing. Its so helpful and cuts down on tantrums becuse he cant get the point across.
 Good luck!

ShannonC94
by New Member on Oct. 30, 2009 at 11:50 AM

Hi! I know its frustrating, but it does take time. I have noticed a definite improvement since he started with the early intervention and now that he is in preschool. It seems that the more things we have him doing around other kids (since he is an only child), he tries more. Keep working with the speech therapist and also signing helps ease some frustration while working on speech itself. Good luck!

Shannon

usmcwifemom2
by Member on Oct. 30, 2009 at 3:00 PM

oh i know how frustrating it can be. you find yourself staring at them thinking how you can get in their little heads and figure out what is going on in there! my daughter will be 3 on nov 15th and has oral motor apraxia with sensory dysfunction. so i feel like we live at the therapist office. twice a week for speech adn once a week for OT. hoping by this time next year we'll start to see some improvements. tell him to show you as much as you can when you don't understand what he is saying.  i do that a lot with lexi, when she says something especally if she's upset i cannot understand a word of it so i ask her "mommy's having trouble hearing you, can you show me what you're telling me?" and she'll go to it and it'll hit you like duh why didn't i figure that out!

RaggedyAnne
by on Nov. 5, 2009 at 12:11 PM

Welcome to the group & Good Luck  !

jigsaw ribbon

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)