Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

My 3 yr. old son is talking more & acting out more!?!?!?!

Posted by on Nov. 12, 2009 at 7:42 PM
  • 3 Replies
  • 277 Total Views

My son is 3yrs.& 3 months old and has been in preschool for like 3 months and there was a delay in starting speech because we had to have an IEP evaluation, and then it could start. Well it started up again and we have been going 2 weeks and he is really talking alot more since starting speech along with the preschool. BUT... he has been real emotional lately and i feel like he is going through a big change and turning a corner with his speech improving, but i feel he is acting out a bit because of all the change, even though it is good. Has anyone else experienced this, your child is talking more and then starts acting out and throwing tantrums like when they were 2  or something!??!?! Any input appreciated.  k. in motown

by on Nov. 12, 2009 at 7:42 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-3):
CooksWife
by on Nov. 12, 2009 at 9:44 PM

im you a few months ago :P  My son turns 3 in Dec.  He had a ROUGH time with the twos because of his sensory needs.  Could that be contributing to your sons' outbursts?

*Annie*
Breastfeedermom
by Member on Nov. 12, 2009 at 9:50 PM

You know i wonder if my son has some issues with sensory stuff. He likes to get into the texture of stuff alot; he makes messes with food alot and just about anything he can get his hands on. He loves baby powder and will pour it on the floor and lay in it!?!? My sister is an art teacher and has always told me the importance of texture and feel for kids to get into. Maybe i should talk to her about some suggestions for him in the art area!?!? Thanks you made me think!! k. in motown

CooksWife
by on Nov. 13, 2009 at 8:56 PM

http://www.ldonline.org/article/5612

That seems to have some decent information on it.  Everyone has sensory needs... (you might know some of this but just in case!) but some are less typical or more intense than others.  My Darrell is a low registry sensation seeker.  He benefits from joint and muscle movement and work.  An example of difficulty with him is that he tries to run off a lot.  So our OT suggested a weighted vest, or cheaper and more fashionable, a backpack with some books etc in it.  Now he doesn't try to run off as much.  He often pulls hard on my arm when we are holding hands- so I apply pressure (squeezing) to his upper arm.  Some kids are avoiding (not mine- total opposite, he's always looking for sensations) and need help handling every day exposure (types of fabrics, maybe bright lights or loud noises)   You can talk with an OT that would help you fill out a profile to know what his needs are and if they are atypical. 

Also, and this might be a bit out there but, if he is FEELING like he is communicating more, are you actively listening more?  I ask this because I do catch myself sometimes.  Darrell's words were often just babbling.  Now he is starting to convey more specific/recognizable syllables.  I have to pay attention because if he feels he is working SO hard to speak and I don't catch his intention, it can be emotionally damaging.  That's my own experience though- no OT or anyone has mentioned that to me.  I just know that he never really tried to talk much- and with all the work I have put into getting him to use his words, if I don't respond as he is hoping, it's very frustrating to him.

*Annie*
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)